Why become a member? ×

Best amp head £500 or under?

Wooks79

So I have been using a Orange Terror Bass lately, kind of on loan.

I like it, but just wondered other peoples opinions on what Amp head out there is best for a £500 budget?

I do like the OTB a lot, but just wanted to hear some other opinions, and what options were out there before I fork out the money :)

Cheers folks!

Im saving up for the Terror bass after playing one many times in store,

Other than that, i would be tempted to fork out extra cash for some form of Ampeg,
or find a Reasonably priced second hand one on eBay in good condition,

Exhibit A:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ampeg-SVT-350-Head-/150571779209?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item230ec70489#ht_500wt_983"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ampeg-SVT-350-Head-/...89#ht_500wt_983[/url]

i havent heard a lot about this amp head, but i'm assuming its similar to the SVT-450h, so solid state,
I havent played many Ampegs but the ones i have have been valve heads and were fantastic,
Never played on a purely solid state one.

The TC Electronic Classic 450, which is £540 new, is a very good amp. Like the OTB, small and portable. Does what the OTB can do, but can also do a lot more, it`s a very versatile amp. I had a Terror, and thought it was great, but wanted a bit more versatility, so ended up with the TC Classic, and am very pleased with it. It can do a very good valvey Ampeg-type sound, or with the on-board compression used, a great slap-bass sound.

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1189971' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:47 AM']... but just wondered other peoples opinions on what Amp head out there is best for a £500 budget?[/quote]

Depends whether you play in a doom-thrash-metal band or a string quartet.

Tell us what you'll use it for, and then we stand a chance. :)

Im probably gonna get shot for saying this in this forum but i really dont rate the Orange Terror Bass. It has limited tonal ranges. Its just a basic hybrid amp. There also appears to be some confusion or whatever that this is a Valve amp. It is not, its a valve pre-amp and solid state power amp. If thats the kind of thing youre looking for then for me the Hartke HA ranges (2500, 3500, 5500) are far superior. Just my two penneth now ill go and grab my tin hat and duck :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1190044' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:07 AM']Depends whether you play in a doom-thrash-metal band or a string quartet.

Tell us what you'll use it for, and then we stand a chance. :)[/quote]

Link to a free album in my signature for the eagle eyed amongst you :)

Over the last couple of days I did a play off on amps in this price range and my strongest advice is 'go and try them' as it is only when you hear them, fiddle with them and play with the settings that you will get a feel for what they will do. People will vary as to their requirements - what suits some disappoints others.

I tried Orange Terror Bass, TC Electronic Classic 450, Promethean, Genz Benz Shuttle 6, an Ampeg lightweight, Markbass Little Mark Rocker. Finalists were Genz Benz, against expectation and Classic 450, which is the one I ended up getting. Not exactly after the toss of a coin but it was a hard choice to make. The point being that the Genz Benz wouldn't even have been a contender had I not tried it as I didn't think it would be 'right' but, once played, it was right up there. But you might well plug in the Promethean and find it is exactly what you want!

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1190452' date='Apr 6 2011, 01:23 PM']I've now had an offer from a mate of an Ampeg SVT-3pro in my price range, so its now between that, or the Orange TB!

I don't know what to do..... :)[/quote]

I`ve had both, and again, the versatility of the Ampeg SVT-3pro could edge this choice, and would, if it were me. OTB is great at what it does, but to have any real versatility with it, you really need pedals, in my view. The SVT-3pro however has sooooo many different sounds that can be coaxed from it.

Saying that however, can you get the exact sound you want from the OTB? If so, they are a decent amp, insanely loud performance, and more easily portable than the Ampeg. As with anything amp-wise, it has to come down to the sound in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Hartke LH 500 is probably the best sub £500 head I've come across. I'm not up with the exchange rate at the mo but I think the LH1000 also comes in under £500. The 500 watt version is more than loud enough IMO.
Its a completely different amp to the Terror and IMO is a better head by a country mile. I've promoted mine to gig duties ahead of the Trace Elliot. Never thought that would happen!

I had a Gallien Krueger 800RB, sold it and went round the doors with Ashdown ABM500, Hartke HA5500, Trace MK V AH150, Hartke LH500 and Orange TB. Ended up back to a Gallien 700RB II last April.

Galliens are not light and they are not flavour of the month but they do sound very good and are build like brick outhouses. They have such a great inherent sound that the only thing I need to adjust is the volume

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129581"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129581[/url]

i'm throwing this at you again!

this time i'll go to £500 for you just because i like your fabric beard and definitely want one or I'll trade you my bacon mask for it.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hartke-HA3500-cased-bass-guitar-amp-/330553062402?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4cf67f7402"]Hartke HA3500[/url]... wonderful things. Loud and punchy, well mine is anyway :)
And an absurd bargain. Leaving you lots of cash left over for toys :)

If you've tried and tested the OTB and it's passed, why not just go for that? :)

Of course I'm going to echo some of the other posts saying GK, the 700RB-II and MB500 are within your budget, MB Fusion is just above it and MB200 is way below and a very capable amp for 200w (only downside is only one output, though not a problem if you get the right lead or your cabs have a link socket). I've owned several GKs and they've all been stunning amps and cabs.