Why become a member? ×

Strap Lock Problem

jhsteel

Here's my problem. I have two Fender Jazz basses both with schaller strap locks. On both basses the strap locks come loose all the time. I've tried superglueing a matchstick down the holes and glueing the screws but they somehow always come loose again. On one bass a screw was even bent in the hole.

I'm now thinking I need to replace them and have seen strap locks on a Fodera that are actually recessed into the bass body. Anyone know anything about these and if they are available and has anyone had a similar problem?

Cheers, James

[quote name='jhsteel' post='135206' date='Feb 6 2008, 06:04 PM']...has anyone had a similar problem?[/quote]

All the bloody time!

All my basses have Schaller straplocks on (I love 'em except for this problem).

And the screws always strip their thread after a while.

I've no idea of what a real solution would be, I've tried what you describe above.

And then it happens again... :)

Best was to fix this is to get some dowel.
Drill existing holes to fit the dowel.
Insert the dowel (glue it into place with good quality strong wood glue).
Allow it to dry - ideally overnight.
Drill in new screw holes.
Screw in screws. Shouldn't have any further problems!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='145071' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:20 PM']I had one keep coming loose on my Jazz.
One gig i got a splinter from my drummers broken stick, forced it in the hole (the bass, not the drummers ;-) put the screw back in and its been perfect ever since.
At last, a use for a drummer.[/quote]

And that's why they like to play so loud - they are only thinking of how best to serve their bass brothers!

Matchsticks are made from a relatively soft wood. From what's been said above it seems like you're better with something harder to fill the screw hole - either a dowel or a bit of drumstick. I usually recommend cocktail sticks rather than matchsticks because they're harder.

Use a white woodglue rather than superglue.

Get the hole all filled up nice and tightly with glue and cocktail stick/dowel/drum stick or whatever.

This should do the job.

[quote name='chris_b' post='135220' date='Feb 6 2008, 06:22 PM']Get Dunlop strap locks. I've had one of mine for nearly 20 years without a single problem.[/quote]

+1. You need a pair of pilers to get the damn things off. They're going nowhere. I love them so much every bass gets the Dunlop straplock treatment.