Why become a member? ×

Back up a 5 with a 4?

Rumble

Having just sold my 6'er and being a long time 5 string user, I'm wondering whether I should replace the 6 with a 4 string to be my back up bass?

There are a couple of issues I'm considering:
1.) Should your back-up bass have at least the same number of strings as your main bass?
2.) Does playing a 4 string alter your style after playing a 5 for so long (this might not be a bad thing! :huh: )?
3.) Should you back-up bass be of the same or very similar type (i.e. jazz, P, active, passive etc..) to your main bass?

All opinions gratefully received :)

For me in an ideal situation, my back-up basses would be the same as my main ones except maybe a different colour.

Live I play fretted and fretless basses - all my fretted basses are 5 string and all my fretless are 4. Because my playing style on each is very different the difference in string numbers doesn't bother me. However occasionally we do short showcase sets and for those I try to take only the one bass. Playing numbers I would normally do on a 4 string on a 5 string bass requires for me a lot of concentration, so if your main bass has 5 strings, then really it's backup should also have 5.

Why do you need a back up ?? I've never in 30yrs of being a musician, found any need of a "back up". As well as bass guitar I play tuba maybe I need a back up one of them as well ?? don't think so.

Edited by bigd1

I would have a 5 with a slightly different slant to your main bass- that way it won't be an idle back-up that never got used.

I have a Lakland 55-94 (MM Humbucker and Jazz pickup) with maple neck and my back up is a Lakland JO5 jazz bass with rosewood neck.
2 different sounds so as a result the Jazz gets used instead of being a dust-gathering insurance policy.

Having said that I lasted for 20 yrs without a back-up and only had 3 emergencies in that time.

It's an excuse to buy another bass and not have to sell your pride and joy!!

(I think you do play a 4 different after playing a 5 or 6 but that's not a bad thing.

I would go for an active bass with passive option on my main and back-up.)

Edited by chardbass

my view....if you are doing semi-pro or pro gigs, you need a spare instrument on stage, without question. Possibly rare, but strings do break, batteries do die suddenly, electronics do fail...rare I know, but if this happens and you are being paid you need to be able to pick up your spare immediately and carry on. If you have to cut short someones wedding gig, you are really not going to be popular.

As to how many strings, personally I could finsh a gig on my 4, even tho I usually do use a 5, and could substitate the lower notes foroctave up..but that is just me. Having said that, I take 2 fivers.

I have actually only needed ot use the backup once, by the way.

[quote name='bigd1' post='134718' date='Feb 5 2008, 11:17 PM']Why do you need a back up ?? I've never in 30yrs of being a musician, found any need of a "back up". As well as bass guitar I play tuba maybe I need a back up one of them as well ?? don't think so.[/quote]
Cause it is an excellent excuse to convince the wife you need to buy another Bass :)

I very rarely play a 4 string these days but took my Jazz to a rehearsal a couple of weeks back and played crap, (well crapper than normal....). Am so used to having the B String there I was lost without it.
It's a 5 String Back-Up for me.

I take 3 different basses to most gigs (Main: 72 Jazz, 2nd: Hollowbody w/ hummers, 3rd: Fretless) and I'm comfortable just switching to one of the other 2.
Battery goes flat on the active Jazz and its fun to switch to the fretless until the end of the set.

So Unless you are really out of your comfort zone then get a similar one. Otherwise IMHO it can be good fun and makes you think differently.

Any reason to get more basses is a great idea but, quite a lot of people on here say they take/have or even must have a "back up " bass. As I said before I have been a musician for 30yrs and in all that time never used or needed a backup bass. I've seen post where backup amps & pedals are "needed".

The only backup of any type I take is a Leatherman tool kit, strings, batteries & spare lead.

How many of use have found the need of a backup bass guitar ?
I don't just mean the need to have one but ever really needed to use a backup instrument.

I find the build quality etc of instruments now to be in most cases very high, little if anything seems to go wrong. Even basses from the lower end of the market for say less than £500 are of a high standard. Yet it seems there is no confidence in the instruments you all use. Or is it just a "comfort blanket" type of thing.

I think it could be interesting to know. Is the backup bass really needed ?

BIGd

Edited by bigd1

Even if you do take a back-up bass, it still pays to have the spare lead, strings and battery! If one bass can fail, who's to say the back-up's fine?

[quote name='Rumble' post='134663' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:25 PM']1.) Should your back-up bass have at least the same number of strings as your main bass?
2.) Does playing a 4 string alter your style after playing a 5 for so long (this might not be a bad thing! :huh: )?
3.) Should you back-up bass be of the same or very similar type (i.e. jazz, P, active, passive etc..) to your main bass?

All opinions gratefully received :)[/quote]
1. Absolutely, yes - if you intend to finish your gig on a 4-string, you shouldn't start it on a 5... otherwise it's akin to breaking your B string and not being able to replace it
2. Yeah, definitely - and it's a good thing!
3. Personally I'd want to finish the gig as I started it and how I originally planned - if I plan to finish the gig on a GWB35, technical failures should not prevent me from doing so! For this reason I was tempted to buy a second one, but since it would never ever get played at home and I'm not a pro player, I spent the money on something that'll actually get some use... so really it's a case of how consistent you want your gigs to be - I'll happily play with either a fretted or fretless 5, but if you've got a specific sound you want to hold on to, make sure your back-up will do that!

Rumble, its a shame it didn't work out for you with the Status Eclipse 6 I sold you. But if you remember I sold that bass to you to buy a Stingray 4 with the logic that I already had a Status 5er, I was having a Shuker 6er made, so if I had a 4 as well I would have a "versatile" set of basses.
Result was that I missed bottom B too much and didn't really get on with a 4 anymore. Although I can live without top C on a 6er, for me now its a minimum of 5 strings. So, yes, get a back up bass, but make it a 5.

[quote name='bigd1' post='134819' date='Feb 6 2008, 08:11 AM']... As I said before I have been a musician for 30yrs and in all that time never used or needed a backup bass.
I think it could be interesting to know. Is the backup bass really needed ?

BIGd[/quote]

I have also been a regularly gigging amateur musician for 30 years and there have been plenty of occasions where a backup instrument would have been a blessing. There's nothing worse than even a 2 minute silence while you frantically try to change a string. Nowadays I take a fretted and a fretless to gigs as my set requires both. They're both 5's so if a string breaks on one, I can, at a pinch, finish the set on the other one. I also take a toolkit and spares etc.

back to the OP, if you're regularly playing a 5 then another 5 would be better than a 4. You'll find your 'muscle memory' thinks you have an extra string so if your playing is intuitive and relaxed enough, you'll end up missing the low B.

For everyone who said "Why do you need a backup..?"...
[quote name='nottswarwick' post='134741' date='Feb 5 2008, 11:50 PM']my view....if you are doing semi-pro or pro gigs, you need a spare instrument on stage, without question. Possibly rare, but strings do break, batteries do die suddenly, electronics do fail...rare I know, but if this happens and you are being paid you need to be able to pick up your spare immediately and carry on. If you have to cut short someones wedding gig, you are really not going to be popular.[/quote][i]...this[/i] is why.
If I take a backup to a gig, it's a 5... but that's just because I happen to have two 5s :) Before I got the Shuke, my backup was a 4 with a D-tuner.

The one time I didn't take a back-up bass to a gig I broke a string on the opening number. Luckily I was able to borrow the support band's bass. Unfortunately it was nothing like in mine in either feel or sound and I struggled for the whole gig. Lesson learned - always take a back-up!

Also do at least one rehearsal every other month or so using only your spare bass just so you're still used to playing it.

Edited by BigRedX

Thanks loads for all you input guys! Really didn't expect this level of response.

For those who've questioned the need for a back-up; a drummer friend of mine managed to knock over the bass of his band mate, didn't think he'd done anything, but when the guy came to start the set, no noise was forthcoming. It turns out one of the solder joints to the jack socket had come free in the fall. The bass player had a back up he hadn't played in ages, but at that time it saved his bacon and meant the wedding reception could continue with a full band.

I take the position that if someone's paying you hard earned cash to put on a gig of 'x' length, then that's what I should do. I don't want to be the one to mess up someone's wedding reception. It may be the only one they ever have!

Thanks again

[quote name='Rumble' post='134983' date='Feb 6 2008, 01:30 PM']I take the position that if someone's paying you hard earned cash to put on a gig of 'x' length, then that's what I should do. I don't want to be the one to mess up someone's wedding reception. It may be the only one they ever have!

Thanks again[/quote]
Quite right. If it makes you feel better, bring a back up. It's saved me a couple of times. I'd rather do without the embarrassment of not being able to fulfill my part in the band. 4 or 5 is up to you. I carry a Hohner B4A for backup... it's small and has a decent enough sound to get me through a gig.

[quote name='chardbass' post='134723' date='Feb 5 2008, 11:27 PM']I would have a 5 with a slightly different slant to your main bass- that way it won't be an idle back-up that never got used.

2 different sounds so as a result the Jazz gets used instead of being a dust-gathering insurance policy.[/quote]
Very good point! I had been thinking about something Warwick-like as I loved the feel of the SS1 I used to own.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='134763' date='Feb 6 2008, 12:31 AM']Cause it is an excellent excuse to convince the wife you need to buy another Bass :)[/quote]
Also an excellent point and just as valid as any other in my book :huh:

[quote name='Johngh' post='134875' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:43 AM']...Result was that I missed bottom B too much...[/quote]
Hi John, I have to say that having to play a song I'd routinely do on a 5, on a 4 in the middle of a gig would in all probability throw me completely off kilter. Not sure I'm that proficient to switch from one to the other, just like that.

BTW - Are you still enjoying that gorgeous Shuker?!

[quote name='bigd1' post='134819' date='Feb 6 2008, 08:11 AM']The only backup of any type I take is a Leatherman tool kit, strings, batteries & spare lead.[/quote]
I agree with this 100% BIGd. It's better/cheaper to take along spare perishables for your main bass than a whole nother bass.

If you have to have another bass then the choice between having a matching number of strings purely depends on how comfortable you are transposing the songs. I would also think about asking your band if they mind you transposing the songs in an emergency, as it might throw them off too if they're not ready for it.

clearly 2 views here, adn it is actually slightly off the main topic (which is "what type of backup", not "do you need one").

For me it would depend on the type of gig. I take tools and can repair most things, but if you are engaged on a professional gig, being paid as such, and are the only band, it is madness to not have the spare bass. Even if it is a banger, and stays in the case. Crazy not to...imho obv..but a £150 yammy will do!

But if it is a pub gig with another band, sure, not as crucial at all. Horses for courses.

C :-)