Why become a member? ×

Top 5 basses to play before you die!

ThomBassmonkey

• 5 months later...

I don't feel an urge to drive a Ferrari. My Volvo does all that I need of a car. You can see where I'm going with this!

I've played my top 5 basses and I still own 3 of them. The rest are good but none of them are better than what I already own.

If I found a genie with only one wish left I'd be more interested in playing in one of my top 5 bands.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373297053' post='2135803']
I don't feel an urge to drive a Ferrari. My Volvo does all that I need of a car. You can see where I'm going with this!

[/quote]

Your Volvo does not have a screaming V12 in it, are you sure you don't want a go in a Ferrari?

This is almost two questions in one...

Which Five basses would I personally like to try, based on several years experience of what I like and what a good bass is to me.

1) Ritter Cora
2) Sei Flamboyant
3) Roscoe Custom
4) Marleaux Consat Custom
5) Some sort of Dingwall

Which Five basses would I suggest to someone who hasn't tried any basses.

1) Fender P
2) Fender J
3) Stingray
4) Rick
5) Warwick

Rob

I have been very lucky and know lots of guys with different and quirky basses. The top 5 basses is have played so far and then the top 5 I would l love to play.

Top 5 I have played

1# GMR Flow In 5 (the one on the website) just an amazing sound, balance, feel and look.

2# My Alpher Instruments 5 string - my custom made beauty, how could this not be in my top 5.

3# GB Spitfire (BigJim's custom) again an amazing bass, only let down by the gold coloured hardware.

4# Rickenbacker 4003 - borrowed this for a gig down in Minehead and I loved it, was really punchy and easy to play

5# Cort Fretless - I don't know what the model is but I borrowed this bass off a friend for a couple months and it played fantastic and had a cracking sound, never been able to find a fretless that played like it.

Top 5 I would like to play

1# Paul Turners 70's Fender Jazz - that white jazz has always been top of my list to try, just the look and sound is great

2# Dingwall - Always been intrigued by the fanned frets

3# Nice Fender P Bass - Always struggled to find one I can get on with but have had some serious GAS to get on of these recently

4# Warwick Streamer - tried a thumb and corvette and enjoyed them but never got my hands on a streamer

5# Fodera Janek Gwizdala Signature - These look great and I probably can't do it justice but still fancy it

There's a couple others I would still love to play but they are not up there by these

Edited by StephenYork

OK here goes:

1. Your year of birth bass - any flavour, for me it would probably be a 1960 Fender J stacked knob (well I'm sure about the 1960 bit at any rate)
2. A full sized double bass
3. A rediculously expensive bass - I'm thinking Ritter or something similar
4. A proper (as in unlined) fretless bass - My preference would be something like my ACG with asymmetric neck carve and full filter preamp, but I appreciate that this would not be everyones choice and other flavours of fretless bass are available
5. A bass currently owned and played by one of your bass heroes - for me Chris Squire's Rickenbacker, but he'd have to promise not to listen

• 3 months later...

ok quick list:

I haven't played yet, and want to play:
- kubicki
- f-bass
- wal
- fodera
- fender starcaster bass

I'm fortunate that I've owned or borrowed almost one of the industry standard basses for long enough during my lifetime to feel like I've experienced it all, pretty much.

Fender P, Fender J, Alembic, Stingray, Rickenbacker, multi string basses, modern active j style bass, asymmetrical necks, neck throughs, Hofner, Gibson, Steinberger, custom luthier builds... owned or extensively played them all.

never played a wal or kubicki.

NEVER played a warwick other than at a store. hated the feel. have no idea what it was but prob a corvette or thumb since it was many many years ago and those were the talked about models here in north america at that time. never plugged it in. loved the sound of the strings hitting the brass frets... disliked the rest of the unplugged tone so never went further. So many subjective things can turn someone off an instrument. I love the sound in the right case though, just not my thing to play.

I use modelling now to get the sounds of different basses from the bass that I think feels best (which is either carvin or ernie ball depending on my mood).

I've discovered that, for me at least, I don't often like the feel of different bass brands once I stick with them for a while and want to come back to what is most comfortable and responsive in my hands. Once I find a bass that feels really good to ME, the main thing I look for in others is the tonal differences (aside from number of strings and spacing and setup variations of course that can be desirable).

Edited by donkelley

Having played for over 30 years and owned dozens of basses (currently own 11) and played pretty much everything mentioned, I actually AVOID trying new basses. If I can't make what i have work, nothing will.

The only basses that catch my curiously are vintage P's.

The only one mentioned I still have not tried in the Dingwall. They look weird and I think I'd hate it and hope I would. I'm out of room.