Why become a member? ×

Where do I stick my finger

munkonthehill

Now I have your attention,,,,,,this is a Rickenbacker question you dirty person.

I am having fun with my ric, however I am finding it awkward to anchor my right hand anywhere.

On my Jag I easily rest it on the jazz pickups easily enough on either the bridge or neck pup.

However on the Ric I am finding it difficult to find a position to rest.

I normally play over the bridge pickup anyway and I believe there is a bezel of some sort that has a thumb rest..Is this correct?

I dont fancy adding a thumbrest and drilling new holes so thats not an issue.

Any help would be great brothers and sisters.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1168193' date='Mar 19 2011, 01:21 PM']Now I have your attention,,,,,,[/quote]
Yup, your drastic mispelling of finger achieved that :)

You could try switching to a floating thumb technique, I find it generally more comfortable, especially on the top two strings.

I've fitted one of the bezels you can buy from Rickysounds here:

[url="http://www.ricsrus.com/Accessories.html"]http://www.ricsrus.com/Accessories.html[/url]

...scroll half way down.

Excellent bits of kit, and make your Ric much more playable fingerstyle. Easy to fit, and no mods need to be made to your bass.

They also fill the nasty gap you get around the treble pickup if you've removed the pickup cover.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1168576' date='Mar 19 2011, 06:19 PM']Steve, can you not just jam a heavy plectrum between the top of the bridge pickup and the body as I have done with my G&L?

Jez[/quote]

Nah Gerry, the pickup kinda floats in a large hole. Hence why they have these bezels that fill the whopping hole that shows around the pickup once the bridge pickup cover is removed.

I didn't use a plectrum with my Rickenbacker & now I wish I had. I think some basses lend themselves to that style - my Hofner Verithin springs to mind. I used to just rest my thumb on the pickup surround and got used to that after a short time. Ultimately though it wasn't the bass for me so I sold it on but more because it was a lot of money to have lying around on something that wasn't getting picked for gigs.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1168908' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:56 PM']I didn't use a plectrum with my Rickenbacker & now I wish I had. I think some basses lend themselves to that style - my Hofner Verithin springs to mind. I used to just rest my thumb on the pickup surround and got used to that after a short time. Ultimately though it wasn't the bass for me so I sold it on but more because it was a lot of money to have lying around on something that wasn't getting picked for gigs.[/quote]

I dunno, its just a bass to me. If the song needs a pick then so be it, if it needs finger style then all the better hahaha.

I want my bass to be everything I need and I hope the Ric is the man for the job............so far so good anyway!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1168921' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:01 PM']Absolutely to all of that :)

I had flats on my Ricky which was a bit different. Sounded great![/quote]

Oh now then Tim,,,,,,,,I was in such a quandary regarding this matter.

When I got the bass it was in a bit of a bad way. Thankfully Mark (7string) was to my rescue to give it a right good setup and cleansing.

So needless to say I needed new strings. I had heard amazing things about the Ric with both rounds and flats and I honestly didnt know what to do. So rather than starting a thread about it and getting possibly a 50/50 split and being no further forward, I just went straight for the rounds and will try flats on the the next string change,,,,however as its me that may be a few years!!!!

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1169010' date='Mar 19 2011, 11:32 PM']Those bezels are a brilliant idea![/quote]

+1 Although I found it hard to decide on the rest or the cove choice bezel.

After speaking with Simon (thanks again buddy) I came to the conclusion the cove would be the more suitable to my needs.

A quick email to Robbie at rickysounds and now its just a case of waiting at the letterbox until it arrives :)

[quote name='gelfin' post='1170139' date='Mar 20 2011, 10:16 PM']I just plant my thumb into the space right next to the pick up (cover removed)[/quote]

yeah I initially tried that, but I just couldnt make it work. Maybe with a bit more practice however I tend to move about alot and when I try sticking my thumb back into the hole ( fnarr fnarr) I feel I lose my place.

Had this issue sometime ago with an old Maya Rickenfaker I had.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=2229&view=findpost&p=23757"]Rickenfaker screw cap thumbrest mod.[/url] might be of some help(?)
Cost all of 50p! :)

That's always a difficult one if you're playing a Ric with the pickup cover removed. I don't think they're really designed to be played over the pickup fingerstyle like a Precision.

When I had one I went through all the various different methods but in the end I put the cover back on and rested my thumb on that. It meant playing behind the bridge pickup and there's a bit more string tension but once I got used to it I preferred it to playing directly over the pickup

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1168235' date='Mar 19 2011, 01:56 PM']How about a pickup surround and raised bezel from Pickguardian? That's what I had on this bass

[/quote]
When I had a Rick, I had to get a Pickguardian surround too. There's too high a risk of falling into the pickup cavity or lacerating your fingers IMHO!

As an aside, Delberthot that is an utterly fabulous looking Rick, never seen one in surf (or is it seafoam?) green before