Why become a member? ×

Gigging your best bass....

Evil Undead

Tempting as it is, I don't buy instruments these days without the mind to use them. Each thing has a particular task or sound, so it's usually a natural decision as to which one to take rather than thinking 'I don't want to get this one damaged'. Actually I really don't want to get any of my gear damaged but it's all for a purpose. Sometimes sh*t happens!
Having said that, this is me - what you do with your gear is the bargain you make with yourself, just enjoy it all for whatever reason.

I know the feeling, I had that with my first nice bass, which coincidentally was a warwick. These things are to be played, and it sounds like you'd really like to feel comfortable with taking it to gigs, so I'd recommend building your confidence to take it to gigs gradually. Maybe try taking it to a gig where you know your gear is going to be pretty safe and potentially out of harms way, then see how you feel about it. I don't think there's a whole lot of point in forking out for instrument insurance otherwise.

I have one bass that I've had quite a few years now that's never seen a gig. I'm pretty scared of taking my 70's Fender Precision to gigs because I've never played another quite like it and I'd be worried I couldn't replace it if something happened to it. Although having said that, it's not like this bass doesn't get it's fair share of use, I've used it on a load of recordings and it's generally my "pick up n play" bass at home.

I don't agree with "there's no point in having it if you're not gonna gig it" because gigs aren't the be all end all for everyone.

Edited by thumbo

I see all my guitars and amps as tools. Some of those tools are a joy to play but their still tools so I use them live. They're insured so that's fine and if they get nicked I get to go shopping (guaranteed they need to be nicked from inside a secure fortress with armed security guards b4 insurance pays out). I'm not very sentimental about guitars etc even if I really enjoy playing them. I guess I'm more sentimental about the music and that can't get pinched, damaged or drenched in beer.

I think it's my lack of sentimentality that stops me getting all moist about vintage gear and I totally understand that vintage stuff is a whole different ball game as that stuff is very difficult to aquire and replace. If I was into old stuff I'm sure I'd be very wary about gigging it. As Warwick stuff is not in high demand at the moment I'd be more than happy to take a $$ gigging.

I dont own basses im not happy gigging. Instruments are supposed to be gigged, not kept in the house IMO, so all my basses have a little wear and tear from being played in public alot. Nothing serious, just cosmetic stuff. Its unavoidable so im not too fussed about it :) i do keep a very close eye on my gear while im out on a gig though

[quote name='hellothere' post='1159424' date='Mar 12 2011, 03:43 PM']The only bass I wouldn't gig is vintage/rare ones. Anything else I'd be happy to use, but of course would keep an eye on it all the time. If oyu have insurance then that is just a bonus.[/quote]
I actually started a thread on this as it came up and was much debated a while ago, It turns out many of us play vintage and rare basses at all sorts of venues regularly. :) Me included obviously, Get out there and use it I say.

Mt Status is my pride and joy. When I bought it, it was horrendously expensive. It is beautiful to look at and lovely to play.

Fortunately, it is also pretty bullet-proof! It has been well gigged, dropped a couple of times, bashed into mike stands and cymbals, sweated on, doused in beer (whenever my mouth can't catch it first!) and many other abuses. I am happy for young players to use it - because I remember what I would have felt like as a 16 year old if i could have played on something like that. Karma and all that.

It's a tool, but a tool that I love and feel as though it is part of me. Like a carpenter with his favourite hammer maybe?

[quote name='Basszilla' post='1159697' date='Mar 12 2011, 06:38 PM']Having gone down to one single bass (spector euro 4lx) I love my bass but I don't mind it getting old and battered.

It's there to be played and play it I will...hard!

Dig in and enjoy that's what I say :)[/quote]

dig in and play it hard.................how hard do you play that would cause any damage to a bass?

I own some very expensive basses and some very cheap ones too. Some would be easy to replace, others pretty much impossible. However none of that matters when deciding on which bass(es) to take to a gig. It's the one(s) which sound and look right for the job.

At the venue, the instruments stay in their cases until we're ready to go on and then they are either around my neck or on stands at the back of the stage. No-one else other than me gets to play my basses at a gig.

Playing wear is inevitable. That's what luthiers and refinishers are for - to return your instruments to new when they get too worn.

Only one of my current basses is still currently being produced, so replacement would be a bit of a pest. That hasn't stopped me gigging any of them. I do keep an eye on my bass at a gig. I don't mind sharing my amp if it makes the gig go smooth but no-one but me gets to play my bass. I always take a stand to the gig and the bass is either in the case/bag or on the stand. I don't see what else I can practically do to ensure its safety. Happy that I have done all I can, I take whatever bass I fancy playing that night.