Why become a member? ×

Flats Choice

PauBass

I want to give flats a try but there's many choices out there and I have no idea which ones to go for. A few things I'd like from the strings:

- I want them to have good tension so I can Detune if needed.
- Relatively bright, so slap can sound acceptable...I know any strings/bass can be slapped but the tone you get is a different matter, right?
- No silk on the ends please....It may sound silly but, I hate it! :)

Which ones would you recommend?
They will go on my Fender Jazz and P Basses.

Edited by PauBass

I can tell you Fender, Hofner & Rotosound all have silks. Just in case nobody replies and you want to know who to avoid.

Medium or long scale will all go on a standard Fender Jazz or P bass just fine. Most packets will state "will suit 32" - 34" scale" or similar which is what you want.

Relatively bright, hmmmn. Actually I find flats still a bit bright when first on but that's usually gone after a gig or two.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1152741' date='Mar 7 2011, 05:59 PM']Most strings have silks on... You can always singe em off with a lighter?! Bright, high tension? Sounds like you want some Chromes.[/quote]
Especially most flats.

+1 on the D'Addario Chromes (with silks)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='PauBass' post='1152779' date='Mar 7 2011, 06:34 PM']:)

Ok, I'll put up with the silk...D'Addario Chromes then?
How do La Bellas and TI compare to those?[/quote]
I haven't played any Chromes for ages but I'd say they are the highest tension, then La Bellas, then low tension TIs. Chromes are the brightest, TIs have more mids, and La Bellas least bright. I'd be happy to see those comparisons disputed.

Like with any strings, there is no real substitute for trying them. It's an expensive business but with flats they do last for ages.

I found Chromes too tight and bright, so they may be exactly what you want. I've used Rotosound for years, don't seem bright to me at all, but then I've had the same set on my P for at least 5 years. With Rotosounds, the surface is a bit rough, which I like because there's a bit of grip under the left hand. Tried some Fender flats recently - cheaper than the others, very smooth surface, tension similar to Roto - and bright green silks, which are a bit of an acquired taste, to say the least.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1160043' date='Mar 13 2011, 12:21 AM']I've been using the Rotosounds for a few months and they're still quite bright for flats. Tension is between TIs and Chromes and they have red silk.[/quote]

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1163229' date='Mar 15 2011, 03:44 PM']I found Chromes too tight and bright, so they may be exactly what you want. I've used Rotosound for years, don't seem bright to me at all, but then I've had the same set on my P for at least 5 years. With Rotosounds, the surface is a bit rough, which I like because there's a bit of grip under the left hand. Tried some Fender flats recently - cheaper than the others, very smooth surface, tension similar to Roto - and bright green silks, which are a bit of an acquired taste, to say the least.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice guys.
Yes, I think I'm going to give Chromes a go, tried Rotos on a friend's bass but didn't like them.

I've a nice flat for sale up here in Perth if you're interested? Bigger than most 3 bed houses too!

Oop's sorry, wrong kind of flats.
I have TI Jazz flats & they're what I was looking for (tho I haven't tried any other flats). It was a choice between them & the Labellas.

If you slap flats you get a more 'organic' tone, but they have their own brightness.
ALso as has been mentioned, halfrounds are a good compromise between flat and round - loadsa punch but smooth too!
I use Picato in all flavours meself.. no silks either!!

[quote name='hubrad' post='1163443' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:13 PM']If you slap flats you get a more 'organic' tone, but they have their own brightness.
ALso as has been mentioned, halfrounds are a good compromise between flat and round - loadsa punch but smooth too!
I use Picato in all flavours meself.. no silks either!![/quote]

+1 for Picato

I use the 766 flats. Great strings (they made me a set to custom length when I asked). Price is excellent and they last well.

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing this thread back up as I have now been using flats for a few weeks, and I'm sooo happy, I'm really liking the sound and feel :)
I went with a set of D'Addario Chromes ECB81, which are 45-65-80-100, on my Jazz bass and they are exactly what I was looking for but , perhaps a bit too much tension (...this is me just being picky now).

Now I want flats on my P bass too and I'd love to try different strings this time.
I'm quite positive I'm going to go for for TI JF344, 43-56-70-100, but after reading in various posts about the lower string tension I'm not sure....Has anyone tried both sets, Chromes 45-100 and TIs 43-100, and can give me some advice, please?

Are La Bellas comparable in tension to TIs or Chromes?

Finally, which ones, TI or La Bella, or more suited for rock?

Thanks!

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='PauBass' post='1229929' date='May 13 2011, 02:02 PM']I'm bringing this thread back up as I have now been using flats for a few weeks, and I'm sooo happy, I'm really liking the sound and feel :)
I went with a set of D'Addario Chromes ECB81, which are 45-65-80-100, on my Jazz bass and they are exactly what I was looking for but , perhaps a bit too much tension (...this is me just being picky now).

Now I want flats on my P bass too and I'd love to try different strings this time.
I'm quite positive I'm going to go for for TI JF344, 43-56-70-100, but after reading in various posts about the lower string tension I'm not sure....Has anyone tried both sets, Chromes 45-100 and TIs 43-100, and can give me some advice, please?

Are La Bellas comparable in tension to TIs or Chromes?

Finally, which ones, TI or La Bella, or more suited for rock?

Thanks![/quote]
For tension, La Bella Deep Talkin' are more like Chromes than TIs. The TIs are much lower tension and so are more senstitive to how hard or soft you play them. A lot of people here, me included, like TIs a lot but some people find the low tension difficult to get used to.

The TIs have a more middy sound (IMO) and are very good at cutting through the mix.

The La Bellas have a fairly typical old school '60s sound, expecially on a P bass.

I'd say for rock (whatever that is, it's a very wide genre) La Bellas would be fine but that's not to say that TIs can't do rock as well.

There's no substitute for trying them - unfortunately.

During most of the existence of my old punk band, I played TI Flats on a P-bass. Sounded ace. Low tension yes, but that helped me play very fast pick lines without 'jamming' the pick on the strings occasionally (which I tend to do with higher tension strings)

[quote name='redstriper' post='1230027' date='May 13 2011, 03:12 PM']I believe Pino uses TIs on his Precision and they come as standard on his Fender signature bass.
I think he plays in The Who now - and they're a 'rock' band afaik.

I could be wrong about this though.............[/quote]
You could be dead right Steve ...

... and when I saw the Who with Pino his tone was (IMHO) much preferable to Entwistle's tone.

[quote name='Balcro' post='1239846' date='May 22 2011, 12:09 AM']Hi PauBass,

This link might help you decide on a choice of strings - just scroll down and try the 4 "flats" sound samples.

[url="http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/library/"]http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/library/[/url]

Balcro,[/quote]

Thanks for that link, it's very helpful.

Is it me or the La Bella have the biggest sound?

I've been playing for the past two days a set of TIs and I'm very impressed with the strings, I prefer them over Chrome's, both sound and tension, if tension perhaps a bit too low.I

Some of you have mentioned La Bella's tension sit in between the Chrome's and the TI's so I'm tryng them next. I just want to make sure I'm going for the right set, please advice me:

- The 760FS have much higher Tension than TI's?
- And the Extra Light set of La Bella's, the 760FX?

[quote name='PauBass' post='1241863' date='May 23 2011, 04:52 PM']Thanks for that link, it's very helpful.

Is it me or the La Bella have the biggest sound?
I've been playing for the past two days a set of TIs and I'm very impressed with the strings, I prefer them over Chrome's, both sound and tension, if tension perhaps a bit too low.I

Some of you have mentioned La Bella's tension sit in between the Chrome's and the TI's so I'm trying them next. I just want to make sure I'm going for the right set, please advice me:
- The 760FS have much higher Tension than TI's?
- And the Extra Light set of La Bella's, the 760FX?[/quote]

I have no direct experience of any of the current 3 brand choices, but to my ears and the computer speakers, I would say the La Bellas have a touch more middle while the Chromes have a very shallow scoop to their sound. The TI's seem just a little polite in the dynamics but with a tonal balance similar to the La Bellas.
I compared the latter two again & again: - noticed that the La Bella's stopped and started between notes while there was some "smear over" between notes with the TI's - could have been the player adapting to the different tensions?

Balcro.

I use LaBella 760FXs on my fretless and my P/J. I think they tend to keep their sustain better than Chromes. IMHO Chromes also go dead rather quickly, particularly the E and A strings. The E and As from LaBella 760FS sets also tend to get this, but just not as quickly. In terms of tension, the 769FXs are still nicely taught despite their thiness - just not as overbearingly hight tension as Chromes.