Why become a member? ×

Now't Wrong With Tribute Bands

lowdown

I like Tribute bands. The only one I've seen who I have issues with is the Bootleg Beatles and everyone else says they are great so I assume I can use the classic break up line "It's not you, it's me!" :) I can't even put my finger on what I don't like with them. It might be that they do the costume changes rather than stick with one era. But it's just a personal view. The Counterfit Stones were great when I saw them.

I do hate the way such issues become covers bands vs tribute bands vs originals bands. Yes, some originals bands aren't so original (& I would say like BigRedX this is always my personal preference), some covers bands aren't so hot and some tribute bands don't help the cause. Ultimately there are good and bad examples of each and on that note it is time to move on. I can see myself being in a Tribute band at some stage in the future purely as it is one musical experience I'm yet to have.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1152436' date='Mar 7 2011, 01:10 PM']This subject has been flogged to death.

I wish there was as much originality in these posts as some people like to think there is in their music.[/quote]

Are you referring to repeat posts that cover or pay tribute to previously posted comments

Also, you can only say what you said if nobody has ever posted a similar post against these types of posts

This is an original response, at least I think so

[quote name='lojo' post='1152887' date='Mar 7 2011, 07:58 PM']Are you referring to repeat posts that cover or pay tribute to previously posted comments

Also, you can only say what you said if nobody has ever posted a similar post against these types of posts

This is an original response, at least I think so[/quote]
Did you mean self-penned?

I've said this before - tributes to the Chili Peppers, Yes, Rush, Zappa, Led Zep, etc, are people that love that music enough to want to be able to play it. What's wrong with that? I have seen a Chili Peppers tribute from Birmingham a few times and have been in awe of the bass playing.

It's entertainment.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1152955' date='Mar 7 2011, 08:41 PM']So-called originals bands are quite capable of sucking too - usually 'cos they have poor material.[/quote]

Agreed. The young lads I work with are all going for cover material after trying their own songs.

It's all about playing, not sitting in your bedroom.

This is indeed a mad debate

Does a jazz chord progression have to be completely new to be original, or does changing the head make it not a cover?

If a band from the 80s does a revival gig, with a 75% new members, are they an tribute, Original or Covers band?

Are there any good originals bands, that didn't develop their talent from learning and performing covers?

Did Chuck Berry only write one song, then cover it 100 times with different words?

Does Mrs jackson aged 69 want to dance to a never heard before song at the next wedding she attends?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1152937' date='Mar 7 2011, 08:33 PM']Why do you think they suck?[/quote]

Engineered The Rolling Clones (guess...) a few years back.Very competent,very entertaining.They got paid £700. More than I've made in 3 decades of trying to be original.One of the reasons I gave up 13 years ago.My dislike of tribute bands is not actually aimed at the bands (would I dress up as Bill Wyman for £250? Possibly) but at the total lack of imagination with the audiences.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1152535' date='Mar 7 2011, 02:44 PM']I've never got that 'interpretation' argument in classical music. If you play a piece and someone else plays through the same score, its going to be different and one will be better than the other but its still the same piece so the 'creativity' element is limited to your stab at the dots.[/quote]
The thing about Classical music is you have to 'get it'. :) :) Even if you can't hear any planned, expressive differences, they're most certainly there. If nothing else, conductors spend an inordinate amount of developing original interpretations of pieces. Any score is simply the basis for a kaleidoscope of infinitely subtle possibilities.

Of course, it all must seem rather strange and disciplined if one is accustomed to expressing oneself through the relatively unsubtle practise of playing wildly off into the horizon based on no more than a bit of theory, some 'instinct' and some 'soul'. The imposition of the dots - when it occurs - engenders a remarkable distillation of musicianship.

The nice thing about classical is it [i]does [/i]allow soloists the opportunity to improvise or ornament certain parts of the performance. These passages are called Cadenzas.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1153099' date='Mar 7 2011, 10:14 PM']Engineered The Rolling Clones (guess...) a few years back.Very competent,very entertaining.They got paid £700. More than I've made in 3 decades of trying to be original.One of the reasons I gave up 13 years ago.My dislike of tribute bands is not actually aimed at the bands (would I dress up as Bill Wyman for £250? Possibly) [b][i]but at the total lack of imagination with the audiences.[/i][/[/b][/quote]

......and there's the crux of the whole argument, right there. If you play in front of an audience, you have to play what THEY want to hear, or you don't work. I'd rather play in front of an audience than sit noodling in my bedroom for the rest of my life. If I have to slightly compromise my ideals in order to do so, so be it. A lesson that some 'musicians' could do with learning.
.....or be a little more understanding of those who are willing to fulfill that need. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1152955' date='Mar 7 2011, 08:41 PM']So-called originals bands are quite capable of sucking too - usually 'cos they have poor material.[/quote]
You would hope that covers and tribute bands didn't suck because the hardest work IMO - the writing of a set (or two) worth of good songs - has already been done for them.

[quote name='lojo' post='1153024' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:15 PM']This is indeed a mad debate[/quote]

+1 to that. Anyone who gets up in front of an audience and gives it their best is ok by me. Its down to each of us if we like it or not. Would i go and see a tribute band? No. Does that make them rubbish? No.

This genre is feeding a particular slice of the market.

I don’t understand why people get so bothered about all this? I go and watch different types of bands for different reasons and with different expectations.

When I see a covers band, I don’t expect to pay in under normal circumstances (at least not more than a nominal amount), probably at a smaller venue or possibly at a larger one-off event and I expect to be entertained. Hopefully, they won’t have the same set list as the band I saw the week before! Having said that, some of the best bands that I have seen (and played in) have been cover bands.

A tribute band would probably be playing at a bigger venue, have a bigger show (lights, sound, etc rather than costumes) and to charge in – a slightly different night out

I would expect to pay more to see an original band, for them to play a set full of well put together material and a decent well thought out show (and not in a pub)! I will judge an original band far harder than a covers band, but then the rewards for the band are far greater than playing for a bit of beer money / extra cash!

There is room for different types of bands – I don’t even see that they are competing as they are generally playing different venues and people go to see them for different reasons………

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1153103' date='Mar 7 2011, 10:17 PM']The thing about Classical music is you have to 'get it'. :lol: :) Even if you can't hear any planned, expressive differences, they're most certainly there. If nothing else, conductors spend an inordinate amount of developing original interpretations of pieces. Any score is simply the basis for a kaleidoscope of infinitely subtle possibilities.

Of course, it all must seem rather strange and disciplined if one is accustomed to expressing oneself through the relatively unsubtle practise of playing wildly off into the horizon based on no more than a bit of theory, some 'instinct' and some 'soul'. The imposition of the dots - when it occurs - engenders a remarkable distillation of musicianship.

The nice thing about classical is it [i]does [/i]allow soloists the opportunity to improvise or ornament certain parts of the performance. These passages are called Cadenzas.[/quote]

Are you having a go? :)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1153099' date='Mar 7 2011, 10:14 PM']Engineered The Rolling Clones (guess...) a few years back.Very competent,very entertaining.They got paid £700. More than I've made in 3 decades of trying to be original.One of the reasons I gave up 13 years ago.My dislike of tribute bands is not actually aimed at the bands (would I dress up as Bill Wyman for £250? Possibly) but at the total lack of imagination with the audiences.[/quote]

So you dislike them because they earnt [b]more[/b] than you while [b]entertaining[/b] an audience? :) :lol:

Wow... god forbid.... :)