Why become a member? ×

Now't Wrong With Tribute Bands

lowdown

Lee has recorded and/or toured with many artists including Bette Midler, The Brecker Brothers, Barry Manilow, Tatsuro Yamashita, Mariah Carey, Carly Simon, George Benson, Bob Mintzer, Steely Dan, Donald Fagen, B.B. King, Cat Stevens, Michael Bolton, Ringo Starr, Gloria Estefan & the Miami Sound Machine, Cyndi Lauper, James Brown, Cher, Al Green, Billy Joel, Liza Minnelli, Frank Sinatra, Carl Perkins, Kiss's Ace Frehley, Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, David Sanborn, Spyro Gyra, Ricky Martin, Natalie Cole, Roy Buchanan and others. Oh i see,a bit of a nobody then ? :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1151386' date='Mar 6 2011, 12:34 PM']Lee has recorded and/or toured with many artists including Bette Midler, The Brecker Brothers, Barry Manilow, Tatsuro Yamashita, Mariah Carey, Carly Simon, George Benson, Bob Mintzer, Steely Dan, Donald Fagen, B.B. King, Cat Stevens, Michael Bolton, Ringo Starr, Gloria Estefan & the Miami Sound Machine, Cyndi Lauper, James Brown, Cher, Al Green, Billy Joel, Liza Minnelli, Frank Sinatra, Carl Perkins, Kiss's Ace Frehley, Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, David Sanborn, Spyro Gyra, Ricky Martin, Natalie Cole, Roy Buchanan and others. Oh i see,a bit of a nobody then ? :)[/quote]

Sticky Cream Bun coming your way...... :)

Garry

What's not to like? A great bunch of musicians playing some great music.

I wouldn't call it a tribute band as such as they're not doing the whole 'impersonation' thing, they're just playing music that they didn't write themselves - and what's the big deal with that? If musicians didn't play stuff they didn't write then great music would die with its writer (for live performances anyway).

Funny how no-one ever denigrates symphony orchestras as being a mere 'cover bands'.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1152205' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:26 AM']Funny how no-one ever denigrates symphony orchestras as being a mere 'cover bands'.[/quote]

I must admit I dont understand the musical snobbery? Like you say there's all the classics and jazz and blues standards that are played to death and they dont receive such derision.

Music is music is music, if there is enjoyment playing it and enjoyment listening to it, get on with it.

Markus

Edited by Markus Wilson

I actually agree with the principle that jazz standards amount to covers but I have to point out that the difference between any two performances of a given jazz standard can be massive to the point where the standard is barely recognisable as the same tune whilst the differences between two performances of a classical piece are unlikley to be that radical. The purpose of a covers/tribute band or orchestral piece is to broadly reproduce the original for purposes of entertainment. The purpose of a jazz standard (done properly and not by some jazz b*stard like Buble or Cullem) is to compeletly reconfigure it to display the perforamce skills of the musicians involved albeit still for the purposes of entertainment. Whilst it is perfectly possible for a covers band to radically rearrange a well known tune, it is a lot less common in rock/pop than it is in jazz. That's primarily because Jazz is better :)

But, I agree, jazz standards are a short cut/cop out just as covers are and I would argue that originals indicate a higher degree of creativity.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1152245' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:55 AM']I actually agree with the principle that jazz standards amount to covers but I have to point out that the difference between any two performances of a given jazz standard can be massive to the point where the standard is barely recognisable as the same tune whilst the differences between two performances of a classical piece are unlikley to be that radical. The purpose of a covers/tribute band or orchestral piece is to broadly reproduce the original for purposes of entertainment. The purpose of a jazz standard (done properly and not by some jazz b*stard like Buble or Cullem) is to compeletly reconfigure it to display the perforamce skills of the musicians involved albeit still for the purposes of entertainment. Whilst it is perfectly possible for a covers band to radically rearrange a well known tune, it is a lot less common in rock/pop than it is in jazz. That's primarily because Jazz is better :)

But, I agree, jazz standards are a short cut/cop out just as covers are and I would argue that originals indicate a higher degree of creativity.[/quote]

So you play in a covers band then :)