Why become a member? ×

Fattening up a Jazz Bass (non-active American Standard Fender)

Musicman20

First off, ive been fighting Jazz basses for years. I love the tone, but im used to a P style neck and the P low mid kick.

So, my next plan is to fatten up an American Standard. I would love the J Retro but Ive already got a Tonehammer which beefs up passive basses anyway.

Im looking for a big warm low end, something to fill the mix properly. Ive seen a lot of Jazz players EQ their bass so its no mids, twangy highs and no ommphh.

What do you suggest EQ wise? I like the Fender tone, so no pickup replacements. I need to learn to EQ a Jazz so it has a larger low end (maybe more concentration on the front pup volume and roll off the tone a little?)

Im going to experiment once I get a Jazz, especially with the Tonehammer.

I suggest you try the sound of both pickups in *series* and see what you think.
Of course that only works for the both pickups on situation... but it's a great sound, in my opinion, with lots of "oomph". It makes it fatter and you get a bit of a volume boost too.

It would be very easy to change the tone pot for a push/pull (or push/push as I did) so you can choose which configuration to use.

IMO a Jazz is a Jazz... if you want that fat tone stick to the P..... if not.. turn up the bass on amp, roll off the tone pot to 1/4..pups on full, ..and play closer to the neck... i could get a huge tone from my old jazz, with the right EQ from bass and amp..

i take it you still want the zing but want a fatter low end..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1150541' date='Mar 5 2011, 01:35 PM']Maybe not the best example, but this kind of thing:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntg8o1JIBKI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntg8o1JIBKI...feature=related[/url]

Before you ask, no im not a huge Incubus fan but I LOVE his bass tone.[/quote]

Sounds like you need a SSII :)

Gareth, I'm not being funny but perhaps the issue is not within the bass but to do with the sound processing, I totally recommend you to play your jazz through a simple but very effective TEch 21 VT Bass pedal, it's guaranteed to beef up the thinnest bass possible and can make a real crappy amp sound the bollox, have a go at trying one and then report back, you will say Fran you were right, you're a f---ing genius! :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1150930' date='Mar 5 2011, 08:26 PM']Gareth, I'm not being funny but perhaps the issue is not within the bass but to do with the sound processing, I totally recommend you to play your jazz through a simple but very effective TEch 21 VT Bass pedal, it's guaranteed to beef up the thinnest bass possible and can make a real crappy amp sound the bollox, have a go at trying one and then report back, you will say Fran you were right, you're a f---ing genius! :)[/quote]

BUMP - I'll second that as have done the exact same thing myself.

My old outboard Sadowsky preamp adds a lot of warmth to the sound, jazz basses in particular sound fantastic through it.

Another route might be to try different strings, I use:

DR Fat Beams when I want a fat scooped sound with lots of clang
Ernie Ball Slinkys for a more balanced sound with some mids
Status Hotwires for a strong bassy fundamental but still with some top end clarity

I would recommend the Yamaha NE-1, the magic weapon with a J bass, setup: shallow roundabout 1 o`Clock.
Try it, you will get them cheap..the only thing a Jazzbass needs, sad thing about it..you will get them only second hand, as they are not produced anymore.
[url="http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/guitars-basses/ne1/?mode=model"]Ne-1[/url]

Edited by 73Jazz

I asked a similar question in a recent thread, Gareth, although focusing on replacement pickups rather than EQ. This might be of interest: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121004&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121004&hl=[/url]

I would think the TH and Sadowsky boxes would do a job, but my option would be to slot in a Retro..that will certainly beef up the low-end, no doubt, and you don't have to get far away from the classic jazz sound with it either..altho with the mid sweep, your options are huge.