Why become a member? ×

been sacked again !

thunderbird13

Sacked again! Man, it must suck being that bad?

Maybe you're no Geddy Lee, but at the worst you're gonna be on a par with Adam Clayton & he's managed to hold down a bass players role with a band.

My take on the situation is that one of them has a mate who plays bass & they wanted him in, so they got rid of you.

Take a wee break from bass, even if it's just for a month or two & then come back to it. Then start your own band musician by musician. Find a Guitarist or a drummer & practice just as a duo, this will build up a relationship with you both & get to gel. Then go & find another musician (or all you need for a band if you wish).

My band BigRoom, started off just me & a singer/guitarist & then we added a multi instrumentalist (who also plays bodhran :) ) & we've remained a 3 piece for yonks but getting guest musicians in.
We've now added a drummer (who plays keys too) & I haven't been in the band for about 10 months! They keep asking for me, but lack of transport means I can't get down. They might replace me soon if I don't get sorted out soon & I'll be joining you to get lessons off Mr Clayton!

Basically what I'm trying to say is "if you enjoy playing bass, why give up? Start your own originals band".

Don`t let it concern you, and simply find a band with good honest musicians, and not dreamers.

I got sacked from a band, and was told it was nothing to do with my bass-playing. That left three areas:, none of which were specified (and I didn`t ask, as I didn`t care)

My looks/image - it was a "hairy" heavy rock band. Well dumbasses, it didn`t take much to see that I don`t have any hair did it? Being fired for that - well happy to go.

My "attitude" - I`m the type of musician who learns songs by playing with a band, not by cutting and pasting on a computer. I also don`t learn very well when two people are pointing their guitars at my face saying "it goes like this" kindof annoys me. So I was too "old-fashioned" and wouldn`t "embrace technology".

Money - for some reason, instead of hiring a rehearsal studio once a week for £6 an hour, they wanted to buy a rehearsal studio, at £30k, and expected me to stump up £6k. My reply to that was if they could find £6k for me, I`d clear my credit cards, then spend the rest on hookers and doughnuts - was probably the last straw for them.

Spinning forward a couple of years, the main guy still hasn`t got a whole band, still hasn`t played a gig, but is still going to make it. He also made the comment that his "band were musicians" - yet still can`t play one song from start to finish - and the band I was in - that could play 70 songs from start to finish - were merely "entertainers".

Upshot, there are more idiots on the planet than is necessary, and if you encounter one, don`t beat yourself up, and blame yourself, its their fault they are idiots, and by sacking you they are paying you a compliment - you aren`t idiot enough to be invited to stay!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1149219' date='Mar 4 2011, 09:05 AM']I also don`t learn very well when two people are pointing their guitars at my face saying "it goes like this" kindof annoys me.[/quote]

I feckin hate it when they do that - it never ever helps and always makes things more confusing :) :)

Sorry to hear about your travails. sh*t happens and this sounds like a huge great crock of happening sh*t. You just have to suck it up, blow it off and simply carry on.

For what it's worth I've only ever considered three criteria when assessing a band to work with and so long as two of the three are there then I'm happy. I take musical ability as a given, if they can't play: I don't stay. But assuming that they're musically able then I consider these factors.

1. Affability
2. Money
3. Music.

Two of the three; thus,

If I get on fine with the band's members and it's a band that earns decent money then I don't care if the music isn't really up my street. Or,

If I get on fine with the band's members and I really love the music they make then I don't really care if the band never earns a penny. Or,

If I love the music they make and it's a band that earns decent money then I can learn to live with musicians that I don't really get along with.

If you can find a band that meets two of the thee criteria, go for it. If they meet all three then bite their hands off for the gig. If there's only one category fulfilled, or none, then walk away quickly.

Slightly OT but worth bearing in mind for the future, maybe.

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1149219' date='Mar 4 2011, 09:05 AM']My looks/image - it was a "hairy" heavy rock band. Well dumbasses, it didn`t take much to see that I don`t have any hair did it? Being fired for that - well happy to go.[/quote]
[attachment=73818:Rob_Halford.jpg]

I rest my case. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1149219' date='Mar 4 2011, 09:05 AM']He also made the comment that his "band were musicians" - yet still can`t play one song from start to finish - and the band I was in - that could play 70 songs from start to finish - were merely "entertainers".[/quote]

Perish the thought that anyone be entertained! Music is very SERIOUS and under no circumstances must it be ENJOYED.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1149206' date='Mar 4 2011, 08:29 AM']Bodhran is decent if done right.[/quote]
Yeah, but you're living in a country where they do it right :D
Over here they're just belted as hard as possible in vague time with the tune... :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1149206' date='Mar 4 2011, 08:29 AM']Better than the feckin' Lambegs my lot have. Getting to that time of year when they all start practising round here for the 12th :) :lol:[/quote]
Well, on the plus side, at least they're practising for the parade and not up to mischief like they used to... :P

[quote name='Johnston' post='1149518' date='Mar 4 2011, 02:56 PM']Okay it looks like due to renovations they will be back in the pub carpark until closing time. How do good do you think the rhythm will be come closing time ?? :) :lol: :D[/quote]

Erm... 'jauntily eccentric' ? :)

Only band I was sacked from was when I was still drumming alongside bass.

Band was no-hoper blues-rock covers, but stuck with it for about 6 months. Only gigged for about 6 weeks, prior to that all rehearsals.

Did a gig and the other 2 didn't really say a word. Got an e-mail a couple of days later sacking me, saying that my drumming was 'too jazzy'.

True, I did/do have an interest in said genre, but I had been drumming for years, and ploughing through their choice of material was far from taxing.

Within a week they had taken on the drummer from the singers other (rapidly disbanded) other band....also the singer's mate.

It's never nice getting the push, but one thing I did learn is that with bands, it's normally politics above anything else.

Just don't let it dent your confidence - keep playing, that's the revenge! Don't let them win.

[quote name='icastle' post='1149089' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:39 PM']+1 :)

Only one thing worse than a bodhran and that's a bodhran with someone smacking it!

EDIT: Thinking about it, a didgerydon't is pretty bad as well... :)[/quote]

Blimey, Bodhran and didgeridoo? That sounds like my ideal band!

Actually I was once briefly in a band who had a bodhran player (no other drums) who was the band leader.... I didn't stay long, he was a tw*t!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1149894' date='Mar 4 2011, 08:23 PM']Blimey, Bodhran and didgeridoo? That sounds like my ideal band!

Actually I was once briefly in a band who had a bodhran player (no other drums) who was the band leader.... I didn't stay long, he was a tw*t![/quote]

In this corner of Leicestershire there's a 'traditional folk singer' who does the local pubs complete with didgeridoo.
Longest I've managed to cope with it is about two songs then I just have to leave - usually when he starts singing "Wild Rover" and reaches for his didgeridoo for the lead solo... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1149913' date='Mar 4 2011, 08:47 PM']In this corner of Leicestershire there's a 'traditional folk singer' who does the local pubs complete with didgeridoo.
Longest I've managed to cope with it is about two songs then I just have to leave - usually when he starts singing "Wild Rover" and reaches for his didgeridoo for the lead solo... :)[/quote]

I reckon you're pretty local to me but I've yet to see this guy....I'll certainly be on the lookout from now on though!

You can join my band if you want. So thats me on bass, you on bass and er well thats it up till now. Pretty unique though two bass players instead of two guitars eh?. Oh and due to the 200 mile distance we can only practice once a year. Sound good to you ?

ps, Already got a name for the band we can call it.....wait for it. yes you've guessed it................... [b]Bass 2 Bass[/b]. {brainy idea or what. I'll see if i can get the .com and the .co.uk}!

pps: I may know a guy on bass who will join us (Its alright though he's left handed so it wont clash with us)

Edited by daz

[quote name='icastle' post='1149089' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:39 PM']+1 :)

Only one thing worse than a bodhran and that's a bodhran with someone smacking it![/quote]

+ another one. The only thing to play on a bodhran is a flamethrower.

I got fired from a Country and Western band once for playing the reggae version of 'Help me make it through the night'. It was well worth it.