Why become a member? ×

Calling all MM Sub owners

Gust0o

Chaps, am looking to take an opinion here. How useful is the Sub as a rock bass?

I'm attempting to have a try of one tonight, but am looking for some additional opinions to help baseline my forthcoming experience.

My BC Rich Eagles are either single or double P-pick ups; the STs and Charvel P/J combos - I tend to play off the P, with plenty of mids in the band mix.

I enjoyed the MM-style pick-up on my former MTD - so am assuming the Sub would be more of the same, but in a more simplistic package?

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1140853' date='Feb 25 2011, 09:17 AM']Chaps, am looking to take an opinion here. How useful is the Sub as a rock bass?

I'm attempting to have a try of one tonight, but am looking for some additional opinions to help baseline my forthcoming experience.

My BC Rich Eagles are either single or double P-pick ups; the STs and Charvel P/J combos - I tend to play off the P, with plenty of mids in the band mix.

I enjoyed the MM-style pick-up on my former MTD - so am assuming the Sub would be more of the same, but in a more simplistic package?[/quote]

Used mine as a Punk bass sounded great, really aggressive, I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Trying to think of who I sound like - maybe a bit like a sh*te Duff McKagan? A bit hard rock meets heavy metal, from the bands perspective - something much akin to the Black Spiders in sound.

Might add some useful context. Certainly would be looking for something to match the aggression of my pointy basses!

I bought mine when they first came out to fit in the rock covers band I was playing at the time to replace my Jazz. A great buy, did the job perfectly especially for the Motorhead and Iron Maiden numbers we did, really in your face. Having said that I also used it in a laid back blues band and it was right at home there too. I've still got it (although it's now fretless) and it's still one of my favourite basses. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' post='1141496' date='Feb 25 2011, 05:13 PM']Totally underated bass and the only musicman I would have.I,ve had mine since 03 and it,s a belter.fits in anywhere.
[b]Bullet proof giggin bass[/b][/quote]

That's where my mind was going. Enough neck spacing to avoid any mishaps after a glass of sherry; reasonably light-weight; solid... and, I think, for the price not something I wouldn't mind leaving the house with.

In lay terms, what's the difference between the Sub, Sterling, Stingray, etc?

Assume the Stingray is the US prestige version, [i]a la[/i] an MIA Fender? With the others being somewhat cheaper models?

Good call on the lack of contouring. My Charvel gives me the kind of bruises I only ever saw after rugby!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1143434' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:48 PM']sh*t, have I stumbled into asking a controversial question?![/quote]

Not that controversial but often gets answers like this...
[quote name='bassmachine2112' post='1141496' date='Feb 25 2011, 05:13 PM']Totally underated bass and the [b]only musicman [/b]I would have.I,ve had mine since 03 and it,s a belter.fits in anywhere.
Bullet proof giggin bass[/quote]

So you would have a 2003 Sub (I have no issue with that they are good basses) but would not have a 2011 EBMM Ray4 in your favourite colour? Which then usually brings a response of something like I tried an EB in the shop when buying a Sub/Sterling34/OLP and the Sub was better etc etc blah blah :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1143363' date='Feb 27 2011, 02:43 PM']In lay terms, what's the difference between the Sub, Sterling, Stingray, etc?

Assume the Stingray is the US prestige version, [i]a la[/i] an MIA Fender? With the others being somewhat cheaper models?

Good call on the lack of contouring. My Charvel gives me the kind of bruises I only ever saw after rugby![/quote]

OK I'll give it a go

Musicman

Sterling and Stingray are the top ones like a P and a Jazz

Then the SUB was the budget version but more like a MIJ Fender most of them were Stingray specs but there were a few with Sterling specs/

Sterling by MM are the replacement for the SUB.

There was also the OLP which was the low end versions made by a different company but licensed by MM like Squier.

There are also other models by MM like the Big Al, Bongo and such like but they are only available as full fat, no budget version.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Or could it be

Stingray,the flagship model Made in USA

SUB still made in USA ,cheaper version more like the Highway 1 Fender maybe? Remember when these came out the active version was around £679. The active 2 band eq on the SUB is the same as the stingray 4H. The pickup is wired differently to the Stingray,the hardware is not stamped & the body wood is poplar and slabed like the Classic Stingray.

SBMM nice looking basses BUT made under licence in SE Asia.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1143644' date='Feb 27 2011, 06:28 PM']OK I'll give it a go

Musicman

Sterling and Stingray are the top ones like a P and a Jazz

Then the SUB was the budget version but more like a MIJ Fender most of them were Stingray specs but there were a few with Sterling specs/

Sterling by MM are the replacement for the SUB.

There was also the OLP which was the low end versions made by a different company but licensed by MM like Squier.

There are also other models by MM like the Big Al, Bongo and such like but they are only available as full fat, no budget version.[/quote]
Yep also off the top of my head....

All Stingrays and Sterlings are active.
SUB's can be active or passive

Stingray pups are wired in parallel while Sterlings and SUBs are series

Stingrays and Sterlings can come with optional piezo.

Stingray and SUB = 21 frets + alnico pups
Sterling = 22 frets + ceramic pups

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1143644' date='Feb 27 2011, 06:28 PM']There was also the OLP which was the low end versions made by a different company but licensed by MM like Squier.[/quote]

Slight bone of contention - Squier is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fender, so the designs are not licensed by Fender and Squier are "allowed" to make budget copies - Squier IS Fender making budget versions of their own designs, wherever in the far East it is most economically advantageous to do so.

OLP is a completely separate entity from EBMM, that's why OLP needed EBMM's permission through licensing to copy the designs.

I think Sterling Ball wanted to see if an American made instrument could be built cheaper,without a fall in quality and EBMM did that with the SUB. Another thought was that someone buying a SUB would upgrade to the Stingray. But the SUB was well made and very close to the Stingray,hardly suprising when they were built side by side in the same factory quality was always going to be good.

Bottom line: SUBs are Ernie Ball USA quality, solid-as-a-rock. They sound like a Stingray. They have the same components (poplar bodies were used in solid finish Stingrays back then). They were underpriced and underrated...and they make a SICK rock bass!