Why become a member? ×

Calling all MM Sub owners

Gust0o

[quote name='neepheid' post='1143746' date='Feb 27 2011, 07:50 PM']Slight bone of contention - Squier is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fender, so the designs are not licensed by Fender and Squier are "allowed" to make budget copies - Squier IS Fender making budget versions of their own designs, wherever in the far East it is most economically advantageous to do so.

OLP is a completely separate entity from EBMM, that's why OLP needed EBMM's permission through licensing to copy the designs.[/quote]

Haha I did my best.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1143850' date='Feb 27 2011, 09:12 PM']They were so close to the real thing that it affected sales... so they had to nip it in the bud.

There is quite a difference in tone to those that know the 2 basses well though.[/quote]

That's how good the SUB'S are, & that's probobly why people are still after them now a USA (Stingray) for less than a SBMM.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1143722' date='Feb 27 2011, 07:30 PM']Stingray pups are wired in parallel while Sterlings and SUBs are series[/quote]

Not sure about the SUBs, unless mine was unsual.
My SUB5 came with a replacement pickup on, and I was given the original also. It only had 2 wires, so can't play with parallel/series combinations, but it measured just over 2Kohm so I assumed it was wired in parallel.
Just checked my file (I write down silly stuff like that): 2.07 Kohm. Exactly the same as the alnico Seymour Duncan replacement, it turns out.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1150017' date='Mar 4 2011, 10:08 PM']Not sure about the SUBs, unless mine was unsual.
My SUB5 came with a replacement pickup on, and I was given the original also. It only had 2 wires, so can't play with parallel/series combinations, but it measured just over 2Kohm so I assumed it was wired in parallel.
Just checked my file (I write down silly stuff like that): 2.07 Kohm. Exactly the same as the alnico Seymour Duncan replacement, it turns out.[/quote]
Here's a pic I took myself Jose.
One is a SUB pup the other is a Stingray one. It's fairly easy to work out which is which just by looking. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1150093' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:05 PM']Here's a pic I took myself Jose.
One is a SUB pup the other is a Stingray one. It's fairly easy to work out which is which just by looking. :)

[/quote]
I presume you can just solder it up for whatever combination you want though? 10 mins soldering to make it sound proper (parallel) FTW I say :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1150093' date='Mar 4 2011, 11:05 PM']Here's a pic I took myself Jose.
One is a SUB pup the other is a Stingray one. It's fairly easy to work out which is which just by looking. :lol:

[/quote]

pictures, pah! I'm a scientist, I need to measure things :)

anyway, now I'm well and truly confused...

you see, I'd say the one on the right looks very much like a series one (one bobin finishes, a cable goes to the start of the other... you get both in series). The one on the left looks like a parallel wired one...
The pickup on my SUB5 looks like the left one (and the resistance measurement is consistent with it being parallel: 4 Kohm per coil, typically... so that makes 2K for parallel and 8K for series), it measured 2.07Kohm...

Ah, I have a picture... wait:

so, I shall stand by "my SUB5 is wired in parallel"... the question is 1) is mine unusual? 2) is yours unusual? 3) are 5-string SUBs diffrent from the SUB4 in that respect? 4) am I totally and utterly confused? (wouldn't be the first time, or the last :))

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1150153' date='Mar 5 2011, 12:10 AM']That is a Stingray pup.
Looks like we may have uncovered the reason why the SUB 5 sounds like a 'ray and not a SUB. [/quote]

how very confusing!!!

so you take the SR4 (not talking Sue Ryder now, ok? :)) and it's alnico parallel.
Then the Sterling comes, and it's ceramic series/parallel (switchable, right?). Ok.
The SR5 comes along, and rather interestingly it's ceramic parallel (rather than a more Stingray-ish alnico parallel).

Then the SUB comes... and the SUB4 is alnico series, very oddly.
But the SUB5 is alnico parallel? making it more like a Stingray than the SUB4... and again not being consistent between 4/5 string models :)

Later on the SR5 becomes alnico parallel. Back into Stingray territory.

C R A Z Y.

I'm of a sceptical and suspicious nature... and I would say that for the SUBs they may have used anything and everything they had available. The goal was to build a cheaper ($1000) version of the Stingray. The cheapest pickup is the one you have spares of, extra stock not needed, etc...
Maybe.
The thing is... was there any MM bass that used an alnico pickup wired in series exclusively?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1150153' date='Mar 5 2011, 12:10 AM']That is a Stingray pup.
Looks like we may have uncovered the reason why the SUB 5 sounds like a 'ray and not a SUB. [/quote]
You guys are top fiddlers! (and smiley code masters)
I wonder if anyone has an SR4 with a sub 4 pup slipped in by accident?

[quote name='mcnach' post='1150162' date='Mar 5 2011, 12:24 AM']...I'm of a sceptical and suspicious nature... and I would say that for the SUBs they may have used anything and everything they had available. The goal was to build a cheaper ($1000) version of the Stingray. The cheapest pickup is the one you have spares of, extra stock not needed, etc...
Maybe.
The thing is... was there any MM bass that used an alnico pickup wired in series exclusively?[/quote]
It was the same bloke making the SUB pups as did the 'ray ones.... Can't remember his name right now (I'm watching Memento which is hard enough to concentrate on without one eye on me laptop. :))

Have a look [url="http://musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0019.htm"]here[/url] it might answer your question.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1150179' date='Mar 5 2011, 12:55 AM']Ha, I just pipped you two with your super knowledge by suggesting the op in the replacement sub active pup thread just re-solder the stock pup to make it sound more like a proper ( :lol: ) Ray should! I totally stole your wisdom :)[/quote]
It's easier said than done though Pete. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1150204' date='Mar 5 2011, 01:28 AM']Remember I'm more clued up getting power to the soldering iron than what you use one for! :)[/quote]
Yep that's the tricky bit. I'm sure you'll agree that not everyone would be capable of such fine work.

Also don't assume I've not done it either Pete. I've got a few repaired pup jobs under my belt now.