Why become a member? ×

Whats better? a 2x15 or a single 15?

VxR Rusty

All else being the same, more is more. But there are going to be other differences between your cabs there. What is the head? If it is a valve head, you need to crank more power into a 1x15 than a 2x15 (in general) so you'll be driving the head harder, and possibly be breaking up the speaker that you might like. Also, the 2x15 might be taller, and you hear a more accurate representation of your sound due to being closer on axis to the speaker, and not like your actual sound.

[quote name='VxR Rusty' post='1140512' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:47 PM']....ive had a laney 2x15 cab for 5-6 years now, its pretty good, but ive used a few other 2x15s and some single 15s with my head at gigs and, well they seem to drive better....[/quote]
Laney is ok but there are better cabs and amps. You're just moving on.

"Whats better? a 2x15 or a single 15?"

Neither. The solution is two 1x15s. It's the best of both worlds. Small gigs, take one, bigger gigs, take two. No slipped discs, and they're easier to fit into cars. Whilst I'm sure there is a difference in tone between the same two 15" units housed in one box or housed in two, I doubt that you'd hear it on stage.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1140721' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:09 AM']"Whats better? a 2x15 or a single 15?"

Neither. The solution is two 1x15s. It's the best of both worlds. Small gigs, take one, bigger gigs, take two. No slipped discs, and they're easier to fit into cars. Whilst I'm sure there is a difference in tone between the same two 15" units housed in one box or housed in two, I doubt that you'd hear it on stage.

C[/quote]
+1

Having that versatility is worth it's weight in gold...

[quote name='Beedster' post='1140721' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:09 AM']"Whats better? a 2x15 or a single 15?"

C[/quote]

This is where its at.

[quote name='VxR Rusty' post='1140512' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:47 PM']Just curious really,
ive had a laney 2x15 cab for 5-6 years now, its pretty good, but ive used a few other 2x15s and some single 15s with my head at gigs and, well they seem to drive better.

just wondering what your opinions are really[/quote]
I think you've found out that 15's don't have a'sound', they are all different. The size of a speaker is only one factor in the way they sound.

It's nice to have a speaker and your amp at head level and a 'fridge' looks good but why carry two speakers when one will do?

C[/quote]

My solution is this: Small gigs, 1x15. Medium gigs, 2x15. Big gigs 2x15 + 1x15. Of course you do need an amp that goes to 2 ohms (in my case)

Oh, my stadium gig rig is 2 2x15 cabs and 2 heads.... I've not had to use that one yet though!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1140676' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:45 PM']Laney is ok but there are better cabs and amps. You're just moving on.[/quote]

The NEXUS series are really good IMHO! and not just good for the money good! Thats just a bonus :)

I'm still a GK/Hartke man :)

I really like Laney, though the RBs aren't the BEST sounding but i really like them too!

C[/quote]

That's my approach.In theory two 1x15" cabs should give better dispersion and more bottom end.I think. :)

[quote name='VxR Rusty' post='1142962' date='Feb 27 2011, 01:09 AM']Forgive me for sounding a bit "rough" but what would happen if I basicly attacked it with a saw and cut it in hald lol.

I know boxes are all about air mivement etc etc but just wondering before I do summit ill regret :)[/quote]

If you wanna get woodworky, best making a new cab from scratch.