Why become a member? ×

Serial Numbers

farmer61

[quote name='farmer61' post='1140000' date='Feb 24 2011, 02:35 PM']Just reading the post about the guitar stolen in Poland and got me thinking.

I really must take some quality close up pics of dings, special marks and must note down the serial numbers of my basses in the event of any of them being stolen from home, gig etc

That's all![/quote]
Yes, and at least two copies of all of them.

What our insurance company recommended was getting some photos taken of you holding the instrument, and some showing the serial numbers. So I've now got a folder full of photos. No, actually it's not full. Definitely not full. There's definitely space for a few photos of that new bass I'm dreaming about ...

[quote name='farmer61' post='1140000' date='Feb 24 2011, 02:35 PM']Just reading the post about the guitar stolen in Poland and got me thinking.

I really must take some quality close up pics of dings, special marks and must note down the serial numbers of my basses in the event of any of them being stolen from home, gig etc

That's all![/quote]

Good point. I used to have the serial numbers of things stored away, but over time I've mislaid them - that's a good reminder for me to update all this info.

My first bass was a Gibson EB3, s/n 907469; I'll never forget that.
My current (custom) has no number, trying telling the insurers that, "does not compute" they say. But there's only 3 like it in the world & I know where the other two are. Mine is the one with the ding in the top horn! :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1140302' date='Feb 24 2011, 07:18 PM']Does anyone know if you should notify your household insurance company that you own a musical instrument or would they just cover it under household content insurance?[/quote]

Believe it depends on the value of the instrument, and the insurance company too.
Mine asks to specify anything of value over £500 - just had to give details of stuff, but have got pics & serial numbers
noted just in case really. Am sure that different insurers will have other criteria though.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1140302' date='Feb 24 2011, 07:18 PM']Does anyone know if you should notify your household insurance company that you own a musical instrument or would they just cover it under household content insurance?[/quote]

Mine also specifies single items over £500.I did have problems with one insurance company who didn't get the fact that a 1978 Fender Precision got MORE valuable as it got older rather than it depreciated..

When i renewed my house insurance i specifically asked about value of my basses and kit and was told no limit provided I have proof of ownership i.e photos etc.
I still have all my original receipts too which might also have the serial numbers but that's worth checking.
This is a good reminder to confirm insurance policy & conditions haven't changed over the past few yrs cause they wouldn't tell me if they did.

Thanks
Dave :)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1140369' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:16 PM']Mine also specifies single items over £500.I did have problems with one insurance company who didn't get the fact that a 1978 Fender Precision got MORE valuable as it got older rather than it depreciated..[/quote]

I would just tell them, you'll save them a few quid, and give me a 63 as a replacement. :)