Why become a member? ×

Peter Hook Jazz Solo

lowdown

So Hooky noodling about on a bass is going to be an excuse to slag off his whole career then? Tut tut :) I know he's not one of the sacred cows of bass playing (apparently), but I'd imagine people wouldn't stand for the same sort of comments being made about those aforementioned cows... :)

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='1136784' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:59 AM']In my opinion you don't need to be a virtuoso to be a good musician. Peter Hook is good at what he does and it works brilliantly within the context of Joy Division and New Order. I wonder how good Love Will Tear Us Apart would have been without that bassline.... I'm not going to slag him off![/quote]

that wasn't really a bass line though was it..... it was a melody line played on a bass. That could have been any instrument

[quote name='crez5150' post='1136788' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:02 AM']that wasn't really a bass line though was it..... it was a melody line played on a bass. That could have been any instrument[/quote]

You could say the same thing about alot of stuff played by other bass players - most of it could be played by a guitar. Take the more fiddly stuff played by some bassists - the same thing could be done on a guitar.

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1136829' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:34 AM']You could say the same thing about a lot of stuff played by other bass players - [b]most of it could be played by a guitar.[/b][/quote]

Wrong octave comes to mind, but hey whats taking it up the octave amongst friends... :)

Garry

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='1136784' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:59 AM']Peter Hook is good at what he does and it works brilliantly within the context of Joy Division and New Order. I wonder how good Love Will Tear Us Apart would have been without that bassline.... I'm not going to slag him off![/quote]

^ This gets a +1 from me.

And let's face it, maybe Peter Hook is testament to the fact that there's more to making it in the 'music biz' than having technical chops. I mean sure, it's easy to criticise if you're a well-practiced bedroom or pub-band musician... but he was to a large degree the 'rock' upon which JD (and the Hacienda nightclub) were built, so props to him for that.

But then I'm an adopted Mancunian, so I'm bound to look after my own! ;-)

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1136829' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:34 AM']You could say the same thing about alot of stuff played by other bass players - most of it could be played by a guitar. Take the more fiddly stuff played by some bassists - the same thing could be done on a guitar.[/quote]

Not really..... hooky plays up the neck.... it's not a bass line is it.... I mean would 'Good Times' by Chic sound the same if the bass line was played on guitar... I think not.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1137359' date='Feb 22 2011, 05:33 PM']^ This gets a +1 from me.

And let's face it, maybe Peter Hook is testament to the fact that there's more to making it in the 'music biz' than having technical chops.[/quote]
And a cursory glance at most of the Music Biz for the last 40 years will show that technical chops are usually the last thing you need.

I like Hooky - one of the few bassists who, whether by accident or design, has a unique style & sound which has defined most of the music he's been involved with. Unlike any number of condescending & bitter Bedroom Jacos.

Jon.

Threads like this always remind me of how unadventurous and if I'm honest, how close-minded people can be.

As someone's already pointed out, the guy had a hand in Joy Division and New Order, and produced two of the most instantly recognisable bass lines of recent memory. He's an incredibly inventive bass player, and whilst a lot of the time I choose not to listen to Joy Division or New Order's music much anymore, I can't help but feel a lot of the criticism aimed at him is based on his perceived inability to fall in line and take on the typical role of what a bassist is 'meant' to do. Boring... at least give him the credit playing for contributing towards his music in his own unique way before claiming that 'he's not a bass player because he doesn't play the bass parts'. It's such a redundant argument.