Why become a member? ×

Would You Play For Nothing?

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136098' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:58 PM']If something happened where you couldn't get paid for gigs, would you carry on playing for nothing, just for the sheer enjoyment?

When I was young I definitely would, but I'm not sure now. I know a lot of bands do play for no fee anyway.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Only if it was a bunch of mates at the local... having beers and a laugh..... wouldn't do a club or function for free... too many bands out there doing that already :)

There's WAY too many variables:
Covers/Originals?
Effort involved in getting to gig/making it happen
Enjoy playing with the other musicians?
Financial situation in the rest of your life?

I spent a lot of years touring for nothing (money was put back into the band) because I loved the music and the players, lots of effort and sacrifice!
Would I play a covers gig for free......probably not, unless it was turn up, with musicians I truely love playing with....simply because there's more goes into making those gigs successful than just playing the gig, usually at an expense that is recouped through payment.

If I was a multi-millionaire who never needed to earn a penny again.....I'd do it all for free...art (and all resources) should be free!
But my views on our currency based monetary system messing up the human race is for another thread :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1136107' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:01 PM']There's WAY too many varaibles:
Covers/Originals?
Effort involved in getting to gig/making it happen
Enjoy playing with the other musicians?
Financial situation in the rest of your life?

Si[/quote]

Let's just say the government decided it was illegal for musicians to get paid for gigs.

We play originals. If we ever broke even I'd do a little happy dance. We're clearly not doing it for the money :)

As for covers, no money = no band. I never found playing someone else's tunes quite as enjoyable, would need something to replace the buzz of living or dying on the strength of your own songs.

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1136119' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:05 PM']TBH, I take every gig on its' merits.

Occasionally I'll be asked to do something for nowt... if it's going to be fun, then I'll do it.

If it's going to be for nowt because someone else is going to make a pocketful of cash, then I'll probably say no.[/quote]

Absolutely +1