Why become a member? ×

Am I shallow?

Muzz

As an "engineer" and "bassist" I have some really nice screwdrivers. :)
Sadly though I do choose a screwdriver for what it can do ie intrinsically safe, electric, non-magnetic, shaped handle, insulated etc.
You can tell I love my screwdrivers - how sad !! :)
If you buy an expensive screwdriver you expect better quality,feel and the fact that looks will play a part same with buying a bass.

I bought my Warwick mainly because I liked the initial look but more so because it's playability was far superior at that time (1989) than most other basses I tried and I tried virtually every bass in Glasgow before going back to get the Warwick Thumb.

Cheers
Dave the sad git with the screwdriver set.
(DIY my speciality)
:D :lol: :P

If you're not happy with your screwdriver, then I have a nice Vox Standard........... :)

Looks are important to me too, but tone & playablilty is more so. I'm not a fan of Warwick streamers or Fenders all that much for looks (it's that hideous top horn :) ), but if it's not in a stupid colour & sounded & played well, then I'd happily play it as most of the audience wouldn't bother about the shape & it would still fit in with my blues/folk DnB band.

[quote name='endorka' post='1135197' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:35 AM']This and the similar sentiments expressed by others in the thread surprises me.

From my perspective, these instruments are tools and I would no more consider the visual aesthetics of a bass than I would those of a screwdriver. In most musical situations, the instrument will be heard far more than it will be seen.

I own several instruments that played and sounded great, but I did not initially like the look of. Over time their appearance grew on me.

My Black & Decker powered screwdriver looks crap as well.

Jennifer[/quote]

I disagree here,

I know for a fact that if I was playing a bass that looked "metal" in my indie band people would give me that "Eh? Whats going on here?" look and it would take away from them actually listening.

I know this because I've done it!!

I notice a couple of posters referring to their basses as "tools" of the trade - a very professional sounding outlook to have.
As if the machine or device used is chosen purely for function and purpose, with aesthetics playing no role at all.
I wonder if they use the same logic in the choice of vehicle they use to get to the gig or use in everyday life? "It get's me from A>B".
Or even the clothes and shoes they wear to the gig? "They're comfortable and they keep my feet off the floor".

Actually, thinking about it ... maybe there's a market for a 'Bassist's Tool Belt'!
You could carry spare leads and strings, picks, allen keys/screwdriver, polish cloth, beer money, a pen (for autographs and signing the record contract) ... etc...

Sorry, off on a tangent there ..... to me, looks are a major part of it. The music industry and looks/fashion have always gone hand in hand. Just think of most bands in any decade.

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1136116' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:04 PM']I notice a couple of posters referring to their basses as "tools" of the trade - a very professional sounding outlook to have.
As if the machine or device used is chosen purely for function and purpose, with aesthetics playing no role at all.
I wonder if they use the same logic in the choice of vehicle they use to get to the gig or use in everyday life? "It get's me from A>B".
Or even the clothes and shoes they wear to the gig? "They're comfortable and they keep my feet off the floor".[/quote]

For better or worse, I would say that I do apply the same logic. I'll hire the most economical car that my gear will fit in to get to the gig, and for gigs I walk to I have a "work" pair of boots that are sufficiently comfortable for carrying a double bass and also look good for playing the gig.

Look good! So I am susceptible to aesthetics after all? Perhaps. Or perhaps it is just that I have noticed that the better I look, the more work I get, so it is utilitarian after all? :-)

I am one of those bass players who is quite happy to skulk around the back of the stage, all my attention diverted to making music, so perhaps that shapes my perspective. Although recently I did some gigs where the band were well smart and it felt great.

Vive la difference!

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='1135197' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:35 AM']This and the similar sentiments expressed by others in the thread surprises me.

From my perspective, these instruments are tools and I would no more consider the visual aesthetics of a bass than I would those of a screwdriver. In most musical situations, the instrument will be heard far more than it will be seen.

I own several instruments that played and sounded great, but I did not initially like the look of. Over time their appearance grew on me.

My Black & Decker powered screwdriver looks crap as well.

Jennifer[/quote]

You should see my chisels! Beautiful.
When I'm making furniture, there are three criteria, in order of importance:

-Does it do what it's supposed to do?
-Does it fit in well with the human body? ie ergonomics
-Does it look good?

Looks are not the most important thing, but I reckon there are enough high end instruments out there to enable you to love the sound, feel and look of at least one of them.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='endorka' post='1136217' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:40 PM']For better or worse, I would say that I do apply the same logic. I'll hire the most economical car that my gear will fit in to get to the gig, and for gigs I walk to I have a "work" pair of boots that are sufficiently comfortable for carrying a double bass and also look good for playing the gig.

Look good! So I am susceptible to aesthetics after all? Perhaps. Or perhaps it is just that I have noticed that the better I look, the more work I get, so it is utilitarian after all? :-)

I am one of those bass players who is quite happy to skulk around the back of the stage, all my attention diverted to making music, so perhaps that shapes my perspective. Although recently I did some gigs where the band were well smart and it felt great.

Vive la difference!

Jennifer[/quote]

That's a great outlook and deserve's respect. To contradict what I said previously, I like a lot of my favourite musicians for how they play, not what they play and I don't really care what they look like. Unfortunately a great deal of the paying public do, but maybe just the younger generation.

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='1136170' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:25 PM']Actually, thinking about it ... maybe there's a market for a 'Bassist's Tool Belt'!
You could carry spare leads and strings, picks, allen keys/screwdriver, polish cloth, beer money, a pen (for autographs and signing the record contract) ... etc...[/quote]

Bassist Tool Belt - Put me down for one of those. I can wear it with my screwdriver belt - LOL !!!

Dave
:) :) :lol:

[quote name='bassbora' post='1136393' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:07 PM']Almost pissed myself over this. I am guilty of having owned a fretless toilet bowl. My problem was it did not measure up to my Thumb.[/quote]

I don't know if its a widely used technical term, but its pretty much the term I have used to describe them since the age of 14. I do love the Musicman pickups though, they are generally stunning. The only problem I had with the Thumb was that I prefer a large body that is able to cover my... excess girth.

I always think its great for people to branch out and try basses that are a bit more 'out there' than the traditional Fender design. So the long as the bass is in tune and properly set up, it shouldn't really matter what bass it is, so long as the bassist is comfortable playing it.

I still take my Fender Precision to the first practice of any new project though, or any one off session, just because some people tend to listen with their eyes and consider any instrument not associated with Leo Fender to be rubbish! I feel that its good to put people at ease before I bring the Vigier out.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1136422' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:28 PM']I don't know if its a widely used technical term, but its pretty much the term I have used to describe them since the age of 14. I do love the Musicman pickups though, they are generally stunning. The only problem I had with the Thumb was that I prefer a large body that is able to cover my... excess girth.

I always think its great for people to branch out and try basses that are a bit more 'out there' than the traditional Fender design. So the long as the bass is in tune and properly set up, it shouldn't really matter what bass it is, so long as the bassist is comfortable playing it.

I still take my Fender Precision to the first practice of any new project though, or any one off session, just because some people tend to listen with their eyes and consider any instrument not associated with Leo Fender to be rubbish! I feel that its good to put people at ease before I bring the Vigier out.[/quote]
The Music Man has always been known as the toilet seat. Some people think they surpassed themselves with the Bongo.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1136431' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:33 PM']The Music Man has always been known as the toilet seat. Some people think they surpassed themselves with the Bongo.[/quote]

I knew I must have got that from somewhere. The Bongo is something else, as is the Big Al! I do really like the look of the Reflex model though, as well as the HH Gamechanger, though the technology behind it is probably more than I could handle or need.

[quote name='Shambo' post='1136481' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:55 PM']If you're playing the bass, whose looking at you anyway? It's like a state of invisibility. :)

I reckon I can appreciate a good looking bass when I see one but looks aren't everything. If it feels right and sounds right then carry on.[/quote]
Depends how much attention you want. I want a lot so I make sure I get it by wear daft clothes and dancing like a twat :lol: :)