Why become a member? ×

East J-Retro 01 - 'Before and After' Comparison Sound Clips

xilddx

[quote name='gjones' post='1136086' date='Feb 21 2011, 07:53 PM']Thanks for taking the time to record those examples. That J-Retro is very nice indeed. You may have made my mind up for me. You should get a cut from Mr East for all the extra profit he's going to make this month.

By the way I'm picking up a CIJ 62 reissue Jazz on Sunday..........hope it sounds as good as yours.[/quote]
I'd never take a cut from Mr East, my reward is he will get more business! :)

I hope you like your new 62! Where are you getting it from? What colour?

[quote name='silddx' post='1134468' date='Feb 20 2011, 04:26 PM'][b]ACTIVE East - All controls set flat[/b][/quote]
Thanks for going to the trouble to record these. I notice that the sound with all the controls set flat contains a fair amount of bass and treble boost, making it difficult to compare the sound of the preamp with the unprocessed signal. In other words, the preamp seems to be introducing a scoop that could be just as easily obtained from your amp. Unless I'm completely missing something, of course, which is entirely possible.

[quote name='silddx' post='1136484' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:56 PM']I'd never take a cut from Mr East, my reward is he will get more business! :)

I hope you like your new 62! Where are you getting it from? What colour?[/quote]

This is it

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124004&hl=fender+jazz"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=fender+jazz[/url]

I already have a Geddy Lee but have always hankered after a 62 RI

Don't want to sound like a dick but when you say recorded direct into your desk do you mean via a DI? Because if not, the passive Fender is probably going to be impedence mismatched and sound like crap! For a proper 'fair' comparison you need a really high impedence input (more than you get on typical desk line inputs) or to use a DI - you may well have done this, I'd be interested to know because I have a J-Retro lying around that I got in a trade and have never fitted.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1137701' date='Feb 22 2011, 08:48 PM']Don't want to sound like a dick but when you say recorded direct into your desk do you mean via a DI? Because if not, the passive Fender is probably going to be impedence mismatched and sound like crap! For a proper 'fair' comparison you need a really high impedence input (more than you get on typical desk line inputs) or to use a DI - you may well have done this, I'd be interested to know because I have a J-Retro lying around that I got in a trade and have never fitted.[/quote]
It's a very good point and I didn't think to mention it. Good spot!

The input is a high impedance 1 mega-ohm guitar input on the desk (Tascam 2488 MkII) provided specifically for DIing a guitar with high impedance pups without the need for a DI box.

[quote name='gjones' post='1137563' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:43 PM']This is it

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124004&hl=fender+jazz"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=fender+jazz[/url]

I already have a Geddy Lee but have always hankered after a 62 RI[/quote]
'kin hell! Bargain! Same year range as mine, same CIJ logo, almost certainly a non-export model. Looks like an ash body and I'm willing to bet they are USA Vintage pups. It's a beauty!

Here's my CAR 62RI CIJ [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedjb1.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedjb1.htm[/url] Obviously it has the East in it now, but John fitted black knobs for me so it doesn't look too different from a distance.

[quote name='stevie' post='1136995' date='Feb 22 2011, 12:46 PM']Thanks for going to the trouble to record these. I notice that the sound with all the controls set flat contains a fair amount of bass and treble boost, making it difficult to compare the sound of the preamp with the unprocessed signal. In other words, the preamp seems to be introducing a scoop that could be just as easily obtained from your amp. Unless I'm completely missing something, of course, which is entirely possible.[/quote]
Well, it was in active mode so there is a bit of a change to the sound. Passive mode sounds almost the same as the original Fender passive sound.

I don't use an amp.

The tonal range on the East is like having an amp on your bass.

[quote name='silddx' post='1138290' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:43 AM']The tonal range on the East is like having an amp on your bass.[/quote]

I approach it like this. I set the amp up for the room if need be, but as often as not, I don't touch the EQ..
and then tweak the bass for the live mix. I don't tend to have to play around with the sweep much, although if I am missing something and the strings are going off, then I may do something there.

The range of these pre is enough to totally confuse things, so no extreme tinkering required, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1138310' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:01 AM']I approach it like this. I set the amp up for the room if need be, but as often as not, I don't touch the EQ..
and then tweak the bass for the live mix. I don't tend to have to play around with the sweep much, although if I am missing something and the strings are going off, then I may do something there.

The range of these pre is enough to totally confuse things, so no extreme tinkering required, IMO.[/quote]
I'm actually thinking I won't need to use any amp/cab sims on my POD anymore. I haven't had a chance to experiment though, too busy playing my new drum kit :)

Another one here who has just fitted a J-Retro Deluxe to my Mayones Jazz

First impressions after one rehearsal are good, even thru I didn't get much chance to explore the different tonal options available. As a second opinion, the guy who fitted it raved about how powerful it made the bass sound!

Can't wait to try it out at a gig at the weekend..........

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Davo-London' post='1139366' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:13 PM']I generally preferred the East but the recording was much louder and this will give a false impression of sounding better.

Nevertheless, well done and good comparison. I'm an active fan if only so I have all the controls at my fingers.

I prefer that.

Davo[/quote]
Hello mate. It was recorded at the same level and gain settings as the first three passive clips, so that my dear listeners are aware of the volume hike. And bear in mind there are attenuators for each pup inside the cavity for the East, these were on their lowest setting.

[quote name='peteb' post='1139420' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:47 PM']Another one here who has just fitted a J-Retro Deluxe to my Mayones Jazz

First impressions after one rehearsal are good, even thru I didn't get much chance to explore the different tonal options available. As a second opinion, the guy who fitted it raved about how powerful it made the bass sound!

Can't wait to try it out at a gig at the weekend..........[/quote]
I had a proper play on mine last night, and rejigged my POD patches. It has one of the loveliest tones I've ever had! It's got real warmth and character. Absolutely loving it!

[quote name='discreet' post='1142526' date='Feb 26 2011, 05:09 PM']As my monitors go down to 40Hz, [i]this[/i]...

[color="#4169E1"]ACTIVE East - Bass almost fully boosted / treble rolled off / bright flat / mid flat

7. Neck[/color]

...rattled the windows something chronic. Nice![/quote]
Hmmm, you may need to consider some replacement windows. Have you considered our latest range of uPVC high security double glazed units, at a very competitive price.

Sorry, flashback :)

[quote name='John-E-Retro' post='1142415' date='Feb 26 2011, 03:28 PM']In the process of creating a YouTube demo video for the J & P-Retro, not before time!

Will let you know the link when it's done.[/quote]

That's great John... will put up some sound clips of mine. I need to rip off a cd through garageband first... I've not done before.

Totally dialed my retro 01 deluxe in last night...the depth and warmth is absolutely stunning.Cant wait till the warranty on my 2010 deluxe 5 expires so i can put one in that too.John is a fantastic engineer and a proper gent.

[quote name='McBass' post='1143237' date='Feb 27 2011, 12:57 PM']Totally dialed my retro 01 deluxe in last night...the depth and warmth is absolutely stunning.Cant wait till the warranty on my 2010 deluxe 5 expires so i can put one in that too.John is a fantastic engineer and a proper gent.[/quote]

Quite agree - John is the most helpful gent. I had a query regarding wiring my J-retro with some active pick-ups and couldn't believe how quickly he responded. Really nice in this day and age where good customer service seems hard to come by. Top quality all round.

[quote name='McBass' post='1143237' date='Feb 27 2011, 12:57 PM']Totally dialed my retro 01 deluxe in last night...the depth and warmth is absolutely stunning.Cant wait till the warranty on my 2010 deluxe 5 expires so i can put one in that too.John is a fantastic engineer and a proper gent.[/quote]
Why wait? :)

Quite agree - John is the most helpful gent. I had a query regarding wiring my J-retro with some active pick-ups and couldn't believe how quickly he responded. Really nice in this day and age where good customer service seems hard to come by. Top quality all round.