Why become a member? ×

East J-Retro 01 - 'Before and After' Comparison Sound Clips

xilddx

[quote name='McBass' post='1143520' date='Feb 27 2011, 04:52 PM']I don't want to void the warranty ! Very tempted though.[/quote]
If you've found nothing wrong with it by now and you know what you're looking for in terms of manufacturing faults, I wouldn't worry about it. Kneel, and look East :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1143679' date='Feb 27 2011, 06:56 PM']If you've found nothing wrong with it by now and you know what you're looking for in terms of manufacturing faults, I wouldn't worry about it. Kneel, and look East :)[/quote]

Dude i only got the bass a month ago....after an 8 month wait. :)

Hi,

Just to add to the generally supportive view of John East here.. He's a complete gentleman and happily fitted a P-Retro 1 to my Dingwall ABZ last week.. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.....

See the journey/photos here

[url="http://dingwallguitars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1851"]http://dingwallguitars.com/community/viewt...?f=2&t=1851[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silddx' post='1134468' date='Feb 20 2011, 05:26 PM']Some of you know I bought a gorgeous CAR Japan Fender Jazz from Far East Guitars a couple of weeks back. It's wonderful to play but I am used to active Warwicks and, for me, the tones on offer from the Fender did not float my duck. It has a BadassII bridge which may or may not contribute to that.

So, having already bought a U-Retro Deluxe from John East last year for another bass, I thought I'd get a J-Retro 01 for this 'un.

I recorded 8 clips, three with the original passive electronics and five with the East.

All are direct into my desk with no EQ, compression, nothing, except a little bit of hall reverb so you can hear the sounds more clearly. All played finger-style with thumb resting on the neck pickup.

[attachment=72772:01_Track_1.mp3]

The clips are as follows:

[b]PASSIVE Fender - tone control full on[/b]
1. Bridge
2. Both equal
3. Neck

[b]ACTIVE East - All controls set flat[/b]
4. Bridge
5. Both equal
6. Neck

[b]ACTIVE East - Bass almost fully boosted / treble rolled off / bright flat / mid flat[/b]
7. Neck

[b]ACTIVE East - Bass slightly boosted / treble boosted about 50% / bright boosted by about 20% / mid flat[/b]
8. Neck

There is a passive mode on the East too, It's almost exactly like the original Fender tones. There's a 'get out of trouble' switch too in case your battery dies at an inopportune moment.

I have to say, I am totally knocked out by the J-Retro 01, it's transformed this Jazz into a go-to bass for any situation.[/quote]

Oh my God!! The tone!! The difference is astounding, and such variation in tonal characteristics... M getting me these as soon as I get me a Marcus Jazz...

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Just a few words to add my input about Mr East,for his unbelievable customer service !!
and Top quality products!!

He has been very very helpfull to help me for the installation of a J-retro,we have exchanged more than 10 mails for the explanation and this before i buy him anything!
It took from his time to help me,it is priceless!!!

I'm very happy with the J-retro now fitted in my Bacchus,i have all the sounds i want now onboard,and changed my stack, now playing only with an Avalon U5 and a Phil Jones powered PB300 cabinet

I'm now saving money to buy him a P-retro for my old Ibanez

Again thank you Mr East :)

André