Why become a member? ×

Dirty Punk Tone...

bassjamm

Hi all...

Just a question if I may...

I'm looking to mess about with my tone a bit to try and get a pretty slamming Punk tone. I'm playing in a 3 piece Pop-Punk band, so I have a fair amount of 'space' if you like, but I want to create a pretty ballsy sound.

Thought I'd seek some advice...?

Ideally I'd get my old SVT II head back, but can't afford to buy one at the moment, so amp wise I'm using a Hartke HA2000. How would you dial in the 10 band EQ and he high/low pass contour? I'm also using a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket pedal for some tubey grit and warmth. I'm having to temper it quite a bit though as it can make things a bit messy if I'm not careful, and the bass/treble controls on it are a bit aggressive, the bass can be a bit too boomy if I'm not careful.

I don't really want to suggest songs for tone ideas as I'd like to try and craft something unique, but I'd appreciate some help I guess :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jamie

I think you'll need to play with a pick probably near the bridge, maybe a little boost on low mids/bass, tone pot fully open on the bass, and possibly new strings for a zingy Rancid-esque tone? I couldget something like that with my old hartke HA1200 combo.

Add overdrive to taste, as already suggested

Expanding on the answer a little - IMO I would say a good gritty punk sound is achieved with: Pick>P bass>Overdrive Pedal>Amp. Lower mids turned up to suit the band.

I use a MXR M80 for gritty sounds and find it sounds, and sits, really good in the band mix (but bizarrely doesn't sound too good when you hear it on it's own when practicing, but that's another story altogether :) )

Good luck!

Jon

Having been in several punk bands, I'd say the amp doesn't really matter. Whack up the gain/drive and the mids and leave it at that. Compression may help it along a bit too. Playing with a plectrum isn't always necessary - not all punk bass players use them. The trick is not to fiddle about with things - no-one in your audience will care about nuance :)

Hey...

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I know the whole P-Bass/Plectrum thing. Already got that down, and got a Grabber on the way too for some more options. I'm not really talking about that though, it's more the EQ'ing of the amp.

It seems boosting the low-mids is the way forward here then?

I seemed to think boosting the bass and treble, whilst cutting the mids would give me that sound?

Jam

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1132010' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:16 AM']Hey...

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I know the whole P-Bass/Plectrum thing. Already got that down, and got a Grabber on the way too for some more options. I'm not really talking about that though, it's more the EQ'ing of the amp.

It seems boosting the low-mids is the way forward here then?

[b]I seemed to think boosting the bass and treble, whilst cutting the mids would give me that sound?[/b]

Jam[/quote]

Me too.

Depends on your definition of punk I suppose. I think my sound is quite dirty and punky. I always cut the mids.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1132010' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:16 AM']I seemed to think boosting the bass and treble, whilst cutting the mids would give me that sound?

Jam[/quote]
i always used to think that too, but experience has taught me that you can easily get lost in the mix like that.

although mids might sound slightly abrasive when playing on your own, when everyone else plays it's a different story, they 'cut through' more.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1132024' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:29 AM']Me too.

Depends on your definition of punk I suppose. I think my sound is quite dirty and punky. I always cut the mids.[/quote]

Doing that on a different amp seems to sound great. But on the Hartke it sounds a bit empty. Having said that I've not managed to give it a test with the full band as of yet. I know this will change a lot, but I need to have a decent idea of what my different options are I think.

Hmm!!!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1132074' date='Feb 18 2011, 12:11 PM']How would I EQ the amp to get the sound found here...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr2bfrPgXoY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr2bfrPgXoY[/url]

Thanks
Jamie[/quote]

I suspect JJ's put a lot of time , effort and money into trying to replicate the early Stranglers sound, and he's still not quite nailed it. Most punk bands play with distorted guitar so JJ's sound would get buried me thinks, although I love the early Stranglers stuff it's not really punk.
As has been said before a pick/P bass and a bit of distortion with eqing decided whether you want a Simonon or Mike Dirnt sound, they are quite different

To get a good punk sound I usually start off with everything flat, then adjust bass and treble up, til I get the sound I`m after. Then, knock back the treble say 1, and increase the mids by the same amount.

This way, you get a "clanky" sound that isn`t too appealing on its own, but sits very well in the mix. Add gain to suit.

The other thing is try and stand a fair way in front of yr amp - I set up a great sound on my amp at a venue once, great highs/mids/lows the lot, walked way out front for soundcheck and all that carried were the lows. Again, "clanky" near your amp will translate as cutting out front.

[quote name='janmaat' post='1131933' date='Feb 18 2011, 10:30 AM']borrow somebody else's kit, play in a garage and crank the 10W amp up till it blows.

oh sorry. yes i know "punk has gone a long way"[/quote]

Goes all misty eyed...

Here are my original 1977 punk settings. WEM Bass Westminster 15 watter.
Settings Bass = 10. Treble = 10. Volume = 10.
There was no Mid in 1977,

[quote name='Marky L' post='1132424' date='Feb 18 2011, 04:31 PM']And maybe a metal pick as per Algy Ward? My 2nd fav P bass tone :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPoYQHDi1HI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPoYQHDi1HI[/url][/quote]

Great bass intro, but I think I read somewhere that the Capt played it, it certainly sounded nothing like that live, back in the day :)

this is what you need.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f55/nomeansno-article-bass-player-magazine-37940/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f55/nomeansn...magazine-37940/[/url]

maybe 12"s do have a sound ? or certainly a character.. :)

a Barefaced Midget cab would probably suit you , so maybe e-mail Alex with your requirements, including examples of what 'tone' you're after...

Edited by phil.i.stein