Why become a member? ×

Rolled fingerboard edges

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Some basses already come with the edge rolled or shaped from the factory (USA Precisions?), so this procedure won't improve them at all. I can't remember where I first heard about this way of doing it.

If the lower edge of the fingerboard makes a sharp corner rather than having a nice soft rounded edge, I run the shaft of a screwdriver side to side between each pair of frets applying enough pressure to compress the wood and rocking it to vary the angle in relation to the surface of the fingerboard. This results in a round ed edge which in my opinion gives a comfy 'broken-in' feel and makes even cheap basses feel a bit more classy than they were when stock.

It sounds a bit cack-handed, and it certainly isn't a necessary modification, I doubt it makes me play faster or better in any way. However my mustang & the other basses I've rolled do feel better to play without that sharp edge digging into my fingers.

* For obvious reasons it probably would be daft to attempt this on a bass with a maple fingerboard or any other where the fingerboard is lacquered, so my '81 Precison only has 30 years of natural wear & tear on the edge.

Anyone else do this or something similar?

Hmmm, tried it on my graphite necked Status and bent the screwdriver.

I never really notice the edges of the fingerboard, I thought this was because my left hand technique is actually pretty good. Although looking at my older basses there's definitely a lot of wear on the bottom edges of the boards so maybe I'm just so cack-handed I don't notice the subtleties.

Happy to say that although I requested it as part of my neck profile *carve* on my Shukers - I'm pretty sure it's something Jon does as standard anyway for no additional cost. I mean - it's actually part of his neck profiling, as opposed to an 'aftermarket tooling' if you see what I mean. Yeah, it does make a difference having that extra comfy 'radius' on the edges of the neck.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1121448' date='Feb 9 2011, 03:05 PM']If the lower edge of the fingerboard makes a sharp corner rather than having a nice soft rounded edge, I run the shaft of a screwdriver side to side between each pair of frets applying enough pressure to compress the wood and rocking it to vary the angle in relation to the surface of the fingerboard. This results in a round ed edge which in my opinion gives a comfy 'broken-in' feel and makes even cheap basses feel a bit more classy than they were when stock.[/quote]

This is an interesting subject as I agree that a rounded edge makes for a comfier neck. I'd be interested to see some [b]pics[/b] of the method as I can't quite picture what you mean from your description "rocking to vary the angle" etc

And new Warwicks seem to have rolled edges again. My '08 thumb has viciously sharp edges, but my '10 has absolutely gorgeous rounded edges.

Of course I have no idea (and no interest) in how the rolling interacts with frets - I try and avoid basses that look like someone has attacked them with a staple gun :)

Edited by mart

• 2 years later...

I was thinking of doing this to my P a part of a very gentle relicing. I was also intrigued when Andy Till noticed the rolled edges immediatley on an US 2011 jazz bass I sold him. I hadnt known they were there, just that it was comfy to play. Any advice on sorting out the frets? (Hope youre still loving it, Andy, by the way)

the OP says " [i]it probably would be daft to attempt this on a bass with a maple fingerboard or any other where the fingerboard is lacquered[/i]" - I'm assuming that the laquer would crack. Would it still do so if the work was done gently with some wirewool ?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1389784997' post='2337784']
I was thinking of doing this to my P a part of a very gentle relicing. I was also intrigued when Andy Till noticed the rolled edges immediatley on an US 2011 jazz bass I sold him. I hadnt known they were there, just that it was comfy to play. Any advice on sorting out the frets? (Hope youre still loving it, Andy, by the way)

the OP says " [i]it probably would be daft to attempt this on a bass with a maple fingerboard or any other where the fingerboard is lacquered[/i]" - I'm assuming that the laquer would crack. Would it still do so if the work was done gently with some wirewool ?
[/quote]

I'd have thought that if you used any abrasive to do this, by the time the edges were rounded over enough, you'll have removed the lacquer. This happens naturally over time anyway, just look for the dirty grey edges on an old maple-boarded bass.

Edited by Roland Rock