Why become a member? ×

Tenuous Claim To Fame

Thunderthumbs

Summing up the word tenuous;

I lent my bass rig to Norman Watt-Roy at a recent gig.

I played with the late great Paul Fox from the Ruts... and he played drums for us!

Jonathan Ross once very relucantly took a demo tape off me in Oxford Street and then never called

Keith Chegwin once correctly gave way to me at a roundabout

I once went on Bruno Brooks' boat in Pangbourne

I queued at an airport with ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons or Dusty Hill (at the age of 10 they both looked the same to me so who knows!)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='699161' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:50 PM']I played bass in Bloc Party, what a bunch of bell ends.[/quote]

I was at a Quireboys gig in Bristol a few years back and the coolest bit of graffiti in the toilet read "Bloc Party are ok but need to practice"

I played bass guitar in the early ninties with a band from Glasgow called Columbus Road. The band asked Alan Longmuir,of Bay City Rollers fame to play bass on one track of an album that the band were putting out on their own label.He did a decent job of it...but when he left,we used my version of it,which went on the album (I think the singer still has about 700 copies under his bed...) Alan later came back and plumbed in our guitarists gas cooker.......clever man!

I am one of the Otway 900! I "sang" backing vocals on his version of House Of The Rising Sun (the B side of his 2002 hit, Bunsen Burner) along with 900 other members of his "choir" Its probably the only time I will get to record at Abbey Road!

I also bought Keith Allen a beer once, when he did 3 nights of stand up in Leicester, around 1982.

Oh, almost forgot, my last band supported Basil Brush at the Loughborough christmas lights switch on a couple of years ago!

Edited by 4-string-thing

Sometime in the '70s, I was playing in a club in Sheffield, Genevives I think it was, and local hero Joe Cocker came in with two hangers on. We sat with him and he enjoyed the beer we bought and smoked our cigarettes, not returning any.
I went to see him at Sheffield Arena in the '90s. I don’t think he noticed me sitting there all those rows back, I’m sure he would have invited me back to his for supper.

Mine really are tenuous.

Met Nigel Benn, said hello and shook his hand.

My brother's wife's aunt's partner is Mark Flanagan from Jool's Hollands band. My sister in law's cousin is Gill from River Cottage thingy ( I don't watch it)

Wife claims to be distantly related to Kylie Minogue. (Probably as a result of deportation and criminal activity)

Hi
Went for a job interview at the Queens hotel Dundee when I was 15 (now 55) and met Fleetwood Mac who were sitting about in the room I was waiting in. They gave me a fair bit of teasing about being nervous about the job but seemed a fine bunch.
Regards
Jim

[quote name='jimbaby' post='699500' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:46 PM']Hi
Went for a job interview at the Queens hotel Dundee when I was 15 (now 55) and met Fleetwood Mac who were sitting about in the room I was waiting in. They gave me a fair bit of teasing about being nervous about the job but seemed a fine bunch.
Regards
Jim[/quote]

So, did you or Fleetwood Mac get the job?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='128547' date='Jan 27 2008, 10:04 AM']We did a few very high class functions at the Dorchester on Park Lane in London & met Sarah Michelle Gellar, Frank Bruno, had a chat with Roger Moore & shared a drink in the bar with Rod Stewart (who was quitre predictably surrounded by a bevvy of rather tall looking blondes!)[/quote]

Reading through this thread, and this caught my eye... I'm trying to think of a more disparate and otherwise unrelated bunch of celebrities than Sarah Michelle Gellar, Frank Bruno, Roger Moore and Rod Stewart!

Wonder which one of those she went home with?!?

Aha! But she's dumped his sorry arse now and is once again available!
All I have to do it suddenly become a lot more attractive, athletic, interesting, charming and funny than I currently am... then arrange a meeting when she's in an available kind of mood, and it's all good in the 'hood.

my grandma's first cousin was Brian Epstein, manager of the beatles. will that do?
The bad part of the story is that my mum and uncle used to get sent excess stuff that was produced for fanclub members e.g. signed photos, special recordings etc. However, when my granparents moved house it all got lost.

Edit: I also got taught karate my baby spice's mum.

Edited by Zach

Back in the 80s bananarama told me and my mate martin to f*** off,while we were hanging round there caravan on set of 80s kids show ghost train,i think we were taking the piss though.Im also related to dick emery of you are awful but i like you fame.

Edited by YouMa

[b]Tony Zemaitis[/b]......was a family friend in the '70s and lived a few minutes from us, he used to take me out in his scarlet E Type Jaguar when I was a young pup...real nice guy, but you wouldn't want to buy a car off him...it would of had a very hard life:)

Got a full set of Perfect Vision records from [b]Steve Xerri[/b] and got some free beers too....his mate also had a bootleg of a The The german concert but wouldn't cut me a copy :)

Very flaky link....my brothers friend was in a punk group, they had a new guy join on guitar, I'm 99% sure it wasn't keyboards, they fired him as they felt was not up it....his name was Gary Webb = [b]Gary Numan[/b]

[b]Stirling Moss[/b] knocked me over at a car trials event in the 70's and said "sorry son" and picked me up and brushed me down.

[b]Harold Macmillan[/b] pushed in the Passport queue at Gatwick airport in a wheelchair.....being pushed along by a real hot popsy of a nurse and a minder, reminded me of young Mr Grace from Are You Being Served?

I had quick chat with [b]Terry Waite[/b] soon after he had been released, he was driving a blue MGB Roadster along Shooter's Hill, I was on my motorcycle in a traffic jam.....he is a giant of a man.

Lots of motorsport boys 4 and 2 wheels, most of which are actually OK guys to chat with....with the exception of Carl Fogarty.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='goingdownslow' post='699326' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:21 AM']Sometime in the '70s, I was playing in a club in Sheffield, Genevives I think it was, and local hero Joe Cocker came in with two hangers on. We sat with him and he enjoyed the beer we bought and smoked our cigarettes, not returning any.
I went to see him at Sheffield Arena in the '90s. I don’t think he noticed me sitting there all those rows back, I’m sure he would have invited me back to his for supper.[/quote]

A friend of mine played drums for Joe Cocker. Not that exciting really.

How about this one....

I was in a car park in Louth a guy in a posh car came over a gave me his car park ticket 'cos it still had an hour left on it. I politely accepted the ticket and thought to myself, I recognise this bloke from somewhere. As he drove off I read the number plate of his car, which was something like RCB1. It was Roy Chubby Brown!