Why become a member? ×

The age old Jazz bass search...

Musicman20

I sold/traded my Jazz bass for more Musicman basses. The quality is night and day, even though the Jazz was pretty nice.

I admit I'm snobby with fit and finish...but NOTHING sounds like a proper Fender Jazz unless it's a Fender! I've tried others, and I still want a Fender.

Part of me is tempted to get a CV Jazz and upgrade the pups, but to be frank, Im no modder. I like to buy it and stick to it.

After Dave_bass had so many problems trying to get an American Standard, I've been worried about trying again. It clearly takes patience to get a nice Fender and I don't have time to keep sending them back until I find a good one.

I've tried Lakland but the QC issues just put me right off, and we all know about those!

Ideas?! I do not want an active jazz, it has to be stock passive otherwise I'm spending on features I don't want!!!

I've tried to get a brilliant Jazz for a long time with no luck...with the one I bought in 2000 ish being absolutely poor. Poor output, bad neck pockets, poor finish.

It's getting hard blooming work. If the last one was rosewood I would have kept it.

In these cases, it is like throwing mud against the wall... some of it will stick, you just have to get out there and find that one that works.

The good thing is that you aren't desperate as you have many basses so you can be patient, but am not sure why it must be passive..??
Also, if Fender are so iffy for you..consider a passive/active super jazz. There was a pretty Overwater on here the other, IIRC, Burst, RW block and bound...though probably a 5 st

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1117716' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:45 PM']I sold/traded my Jazz bass for more Musicman basses. The quality is night and day, even though the Jazz was pretty nice.

I admit I'm snobby with fit and finish...but NOTHING sounds like a proper Fender Jazz unless it's a Fender! I've tried others, and I still want a Fender.

Part of me is tempted to get a CV Jazz and upgrade the pups, but to be frank, Im no modder. I like to buy it and stick to it.

After Dave_bass had so many problems trying to get an American Standard, I've been worried about trying again. It clearly takes patience to get a nice Fender and I don't have time to keep sending them back until I find a good one.

I've tried Lakland but the QC issues just put me right off, and we all know about those!

Ideas?! I do not want an active jazz, it has to be stock passive otherwise I'm spending on features I don't want!!!

I've tried to get a brilliant Jazz for a long time with no luck...with the one I bought in 2000 ish being absolutely poor. Poor output, bad neck pockets, poor finish.

It's getting hard blooming work. If the last one was rosewood I would have kept it.[/quote]
Definitely try the CIJ non-exports. If the 10 year old Fuji-Gen limited run one I bought yesterday is anything to go by, you'll have a great chance of getting a winner.

I tried a whole range of Fender and Squier Jazzes a few weeks ago, this feels so much nicer than any of them, including the new USA Standards which I rate highly. It's a snarly beast of a Jazz. Great build fit and finish, wonderful neck. I miss the bottom end of my Warwicks but I've been spoiled, it's fantastic for a stone-age passive bass.

I now own and have played a few 2010 Fender Jazz basses now and I am blown away with the quality of all of them so far. I bought mine blind as I was perfectly happy with the quality I had seen up until then. Apart from the fancy woods I can honestly say that the build quality is on a par with my old Overwater Jazz. Neck is tight, frets are nicely finished and played excellent straight away.

I would say if you want one, just get out and try a few in some shops, I am sure you will find one you like if you really want a Fender Jazz and dont let a shop setup put you off. If the action is high just tell them you want it set up properly and then you might considder buying it, I do.

If your ever over liverpool way your welcome to try out my Classic Series Gareth, They're great value for money and it really is a great Jazz tone. The neck isnt 100% on mine and thus I can't get a super low action (I'm talking status sizzly low) but its great for heavy finger style.

I agree with JTUK on this one though, its so hit and miss and I really don't know if I'd buy a Fender without trying it first.

I'd go active if the bass still had the full passive option andctone control, plus the complete Jazz full sized body....depends when the right one appears.

I've always struggled to find a good Jazz and it's getting on my nerves! :) Surely buying a £900 ish instrument should be easy?!

I'd buy second hand if it was in amazing condition and a fair price...

It's a shame that active is a no-no for you.
I bought a fantastic American Jazz deluxe from bcbass last year, to use whilst my Pedulla had an ongoing problem that no one seemed to be able to sort, and it is still my bass of choice for most gigs now. You still get all the old school tone but with so much more besides.
Oh, and it looks sooo good in candy tangerine!

I had a '99 US Standard Fender Jazz for a while, bought used for £550. It was sublime, I regret selling it. Fit and finish were top notch, it was resonant, lively, and sounded great. The only improvements I would have wanted were rolled fingerboard edges and perhaps a better bridge.

Try a few new Fenders, standard or deluxe. If they've kept the quality up then I doubt you could be disappointed with a good one.

theres a nice sunburst jv ( i think) jazz in newcastle upon tyne if you can travel, it's got a tag on it for 995 i think but the price should be negotiable, it's a beaut and you'd stop me from coveting it so much.
it plays very well and sounds exactly as i think a jazz should.
if you want to know it's location let me know and i'll give you directions (its "the guitar shop" on old george yard for any geordies reading.) the shop can be hard to find.

just to be clear i have no direct link to this shop except that he's my "dealer" and he helps me with my addiction,
my name's matt and i'm a (bass)guitaraholic.

Matt

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1118418' date='Feb 6 2011, 11:16 PM']My favourite Fenders have all been Japanese, usually cheap and a bit dog eared but they feel and sound great.

I definitely wouldn't buy an American or Mexican Fender without trying it first but I'd be more prepared to take a punt on a Jap Fender I'd not played.[/quote]

I have a Jap 75RI, and I put a skinny Jap neck on my US standard. All the Jap stuff I have tried has been excellent

[quote name='Matt P' post='1118135' date='Feb 6 2011, 07:36 PM']theres a nice sunburst jv ( i think) jazz in newcastle upon tyne if you can travel, it's got a tag on it for 995 i think but the price should be negotiable, it's a beaut and you'd stop me from coveting it so much.
it plays very well and sounds exactly as i think a jazz should.
if you want to know it's location let me know and i'll give you directions (its "the guitar shop" on old george yard for any geordies reading.) the shop can be hard to find.

just to be clear i have no direct link to this shop except that he's my "dealer" and he helps me with my addiction,
my name's matt and i'm a (bass)guitaraholic.

Matt[/quote]

Worth a look G, but I have told you before, the only way out of this is to get Sei to build you one...
it wont be cheap, and it wont be with you soon but it will stop this GAS once and for all. :)

All the spec you can handle, fantastic finish and a unique bass.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1118851' date='Feb 7 2011, 01:26 PM']Worth a look G, but I have told you before, the only way out of this is to get Sei to build you one...
it wont be cheap, and it wont be with you soon but it will stop this GAS once and for all. :)

All the spec you can handle, fantastic finish and a unique bass.[/quote]
Ahh, wonderful as they are, will a Sei sound and feel anything like a Jazz? I've played a few and they are incredible instruments. And Martin is a lovely bloke.

Edited by silddx

If you have a car it sounds like the perfect excuse to...

1. draw a 50 mile radius circle around your location on a map
2. locate towns with guitar shops in
3. visit them all on guitar safari in the quest for the lost species of [i]Fenderious Jazzicus[/i]

Admittedly being in NE Lincs that might take you into the North Sea and onto the continent :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1118920' date='Feb 7 2011, 02:27 PM']Ahh, wonderful as they are, will a Sei sound and feel anything like a Jazz? I've played a few and they are incredible instruments. And Martin is a lovely bloke.[/quote]

I have 2 Sei Jazzes that I think are definitely jazzes in sound.
One does MM very well, and the other is more vintage vibey, the quaility is a given with Sei, IME.
The feel is as per customers requirements with regards to the neck dims.

I agree that his other models are more modern and not designed to be Jazz-like.

I half posted this in jest as I know G is very picky about the QC on his basses.. :)

Ha, you all know how picky I am. The main reason I dont want to spend a fortune is because I just want a nice quality, simple passive jazz. I dont need a nice top, additional circuits, etc. I just want a well built bass. Sadowsky/EBMM quality but Fender tone, style and sound.

I have been offered a Squier CV 60s J or a Fender American Standard for a price thats pre-VAT/price rise....so nowhere near the current crazy prices.

I dont know why I cant get around the Squier....they seem to be very popular....but will it cure my Jazz GAS?!

At the moment, Im tempted to order before the quote expires, and if I cant find a nice American Standard after a few, just leave it be.