Why become a member? ×

OH MY YES!

lettsguitars

The article talks about "esthetics", I like the natural finish and I thought the wood(effect?) pick up covers was a nice touch - yet this is far from the most beautiful bass I've ever seen.. spoilt really by that fish which looks like something a 5year old would draw!! Can't say I'm a great fan of the headstock either. They say "custom" so I'm sure something could be done about these 2 "faults".

Despite these, I loved the sound - especially on the slap track.

Any idea on prices??

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1117508' date='Feb 6 2011, 11:48 AM']The article talks about "esthetics", I like the natural finish and I thought the wood(effect?) pick up covers was a nice touch - yet this is far from the most beautiful bass I've ever seen.. spoilt really by that fish which looks like something a 5year old would draw!! Can't say I'm a great fan of the headstock either. They say "custom" so I'm sure something could be done about these 2 "faults".

Despite these, I loved the sound - especially on the slap track.

Any idea on prices??[/quote]
This is the problem though, aesthetics are highly individual. But very few commercial custom builders can combine their aesthetic with taste and a feel for what the public will accept. Some have very few design skills at all. In almost all cases they 'borrow' from other designs and create their own, often with horrific results. They don't understand the customer and will struggle to get their businesses off the ground.

Loads of people know what a sexy car looks like and will spout forth on all the design aspects that make it look beautiful. But ask them to design a sexy car from scratch and they will usually come up with nothing, or something that looks like an E-Type or an old Ferrari.

Some are amazing at it, like Ritter. Sometimes the ugliest basses can become aspirational, like Carl Thompson, but it's usually because a few respected players use them and they are very expensive.

Someone will love that bass in the OP, but it will be an expensive marketing exercise to find them.

[quote name='davebass66' post='1117619' date='Feb 6 2011, 01:14 PM']....well doesn't he look like a dude with his little thumb protector on.......MAN UP!
....and lose the mullet!

*rant over* :)[/quote]
Seriously? I thought we were better than that here, or did I accidentally sign in to TalkBass?

He might be using the thumb tape for extra attack. And that isn't a mullet, it's just long hair tucked under his headphones, as if that's relevant to anything.

*rant over* :D

Kinda strange they used these clips on the site though, they were recorded in 1997 and I dare say the basses have changed at least a little since then. Wojtek's bass didn't have a Nemo carved into it, either! :)

Unfortunately I couldn't read the whole introduction on the website. After the 4th time they used that dreadful American habit of referring to people as things (artists [i]that[/i]..., players [i]that[/i]..., people [i]that[/i]...) I gave up. Objects are [i]that[/i]s, people are [i]who[/i]s, if that's OK with you, America. :lol:

Edited by Stuee

[quote name='Stuee' post='1118151' date='Feb 6 2011, 07:48 PM']Seriously? I thought we were better than that here, or did I accidentally sign in to TalkBass?

He might be using the thumb tape for extra attack. And that isn't a mullet, it's just long hair tucked under his headphones, as if that's relevant to anything. Rant over :lol:

Kinda strange they used these clips on the site though, they were recorded in 1997 and I dare say the basses have changed at least a little since then. Wojtek's bass didn't have a Nemo carved into it, either! :)

[b]Unfortunately I couldn't read the whole introduction on the website. After the 4th time they used that dreadful American habit of referring to people as things (artists [i]that[/i]..., players [i]that[/i]..., people [i]that[/i]...) I gave up. Objects are [i]that[/i]s, people are [i]who[/i]s, if that's OK with you, America. :)[/b][/quote]
Ahh good! Someone else who hates that horrible affectation.

[quote name='Stuee' post='1118151' date='Feb 6 2011, 07:48 PM']Unfortunately I couldn't read the whole introduction on the website. After the 4th time they used that dreadful American habit of referring to people as things (artists [i]that[/i]..., players [i]that[/i]..., people [i]that[/i]...) I gave up. Objects are [i]that[/i]s, people are [i]who[/i]s, if that's OK with you, America. :)[/quote]

YEAH! I hate people that do that...

Sorry, it had to be done :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1117304' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:38 AM']No-one will buy it, it's got a fish on it.[/quote]

Anyone remember the Marlin Sidewinder? I recall the Marlin name was crafted into the shape of the fish, thought it looked quite cool. The only actual bass I ever tried in a shop was a bit crap though.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' post='1119151' date='Feb 7 2011, 05:36 PM']Anyone remember the Marlin Sidewinder? I recall the Marlin name was crafted into the shape of the fish, thought it looked quite cool. The only actual bass I ever tried in a shop was a bit crap though.[/quote]
A friend of mine has one. It's f***ing horrible to play. I remember when they came out.

I had a bass with a fish on it, couldn't shift it.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Wojtek is using Mayones basses now. He has 8 of them, b@stard :)
Not really a surprise though seeing as they are also Polish.

[url="http://www.mayones.com/en/artists_players/wojtek_pi"]http://www.mayones.com/en/artists_players/wojtek_pi[/url]

P.S. The Marlin Sidewinder was (no offence) one of the worst basses ever made. As a teenager I remember pointing and laughing at one hanging up in an Exchange & Mart, saying, "Hahaha that's [i]your[/i] bass that is!!" to my friend. He then punched me quite hard, such was the severity of his offence. He had a Westone Thunder 1A, I had a Thunder III... wish I'd never sold that :)

I remember the Marlin Codwinder (as we called it) guitar it had some kind of active circuit with 2 LED's on the front?

As for the clips, Someone said they were recorded in 1997? Well it looks like the time machine that took them back to 1982 was working just fine and If he is alive and well and now using Mayones (got to try me one of them!) basses they must of all had a safe return. :)

[quote name='Stuee' post='1118151' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:48 PM']Seriously? I thought we were better than that here, or did I accidentally sign in to TalkBass?

He might be using the thumb tape for extra attack. And that isn't a mullet, it's just long hair tucked under his headphones, as if that's relevant to anything.

*rant over* :lol:

Unfortunately I couldn't read the whole introduction on the website. After the 4th time they used that dreadful American habit of referring to people as things (artists [i]that[/i]..., players [i]that[/i]..., people [i]that[/i]...) I gave up. Objects are [i]that[/i]s, people are [i]who[/i]s, if that's OK with you, America. :)[/quote]

It's just poor grammar - don't be getting down on all Americans! :D

• 2 years later...