Why become a member? ×

G&L TRibute for Fender Squire?

Crikey!

Hey there, i haven't been on the forum for a while but i thought i'd come back and ask for some help... :)

I have a G&L Tribute L2000, its a gorgeous bass but i can rarely find a sound i like unless it has brand new strings on... and even then it's a challenge...

I had a chat with my buddy in the local music shop while trying out the Squire VMF Jazz and he suggested a compressor to try and get rid of some of the horrible boomyness and stupidly high output.

But after playing the jazz i'm considering just shifting the Tribute and purchasing the squire, i love the sound of it, it has all the variety i need, it's built nice and solid, looks pretty flash and i did find the smaller neck easier to play...

I just get the feeling i'll regret it if i go ahead with this. What do you guys think?

Any advice would be fantastic and hugely appreciated.

Ben

I wouldnt, but as said previous,if you're not getting on with it why keep it?

strange youre not finding a sound you like out the G&L. is it too toppy sounding? do you have the treble boost on all the time?. if you havent tried already,run it in passive mode a while and back off the volume a bit.the MFD pups are fairly hot,but its more organic,woody and warm sounding with the preamp off imo.

[quote name='Crikey!' post='128024' date='Jan 25 2008, 08:50 PM']I just get the feeling i'll regret it if i go ahead with this. What do you guys think?[/quote]
They're fantastic basses if you like the zingy sound, but if you're after a more Fender tone, sell it. Sure someone on here will go for it at the right price. Maybe me.... :)

Edited by stingrayfan

Any bass is only as good as the use you can make of it. I think I'd lose the G&L if I were in your shoes. If you prefer the sound and feel of the Squire, go for it. It rather sounds like you don't like the tone of the G&L at all, which is good enough reason to get shot of it.

If it's just the name on the headstock that's bothering you go for a second hand Japanese Fender, though by all accounts the VMs are good basses in their own right.

cheers guys, sounds good.

the thing with the G&L is the only sound i like from it is the really zingy trebly sound but for most of the songs im playing it just sounds crap. The rest of the time its just not right.

I'm not bothered about it being a squire, if its good i'll play it.

I think im only holding on to it cos ive got kinda attached to it... =P

i think once i get myself a new job i'll be shifting the G&L and getting the Squire pretty soon afterwards, gona try out the P in the meantime too.

how much do you think i should try and sell the G&L for?

i bought it for £479 about 2 years ago... its a bit worn but its only visual things.

suggestions would be brilliant, thanks for all the help so far :)

[quote name='lwtait' post='128292' date='Jan 26 2008, 04:22 PM']why not go for a fender similar to the squier? you're less likely to regret it if its a better bass. definatly dont keep it if you cant get along with it.[/quote]

+1
As a move on from the G&L maybe a nice CIJ or second hand MIA?

[quote name='Crikey!' post='128024' date='Jan 25 2008, 09:50 PM']horrible boomyness and stupidly high output[/quote]

That´s the problem with your G&L?

Did you ever try adjusting (lowering) the pickups and/or magnets? The G&L provides the luxury of being able to adjust every single pole piece (using the bridge saddle allen key).

Seriously, try it before you lose money selling it. I´ll bet you´ll find the sounds you are looking for. The L-2000 is an incredibly versatile bass if you know how to handle it. The Squier VMJ is nice, but I´d take the G&L any day (and I don´t even like active basses!).

Just my two cents...

G&Ls are not that easy to come by and are, as you say, really well built ........ so I would recommend taking the advice of some of these guys and exhausting all possibilities before you shift it. Pickup heights is a good suggestion, as is switching out the preamp.

Having said that, I know your experience (but on a smaller scale). I've had a Hartke VXL Bass Attack DI pedal for a while now that all the reviews say is ace, and that I love the feature set of, but I just can't get a single sound that's actually better than when I don't have it connected! So I'm wondering whether I have to bite the bullet and sack it off in favour of a 2nd-hand Sansamp.

Which finish have you got? Is it a black one (basswood) or a translucent one (swamp ash)? Makes a difference to buyers.

Maybe sell the G&L and put some decent pups in this Squier once you're certain the Tribute isn't for you.

[quote name='lwtait' post='128292' date='Jan 26 2008, 04:22 PM']why not go for a fender similar to the squier? you're less likely to regret it if its a better bass. definatly dont keep it if you cant get along with it.[/quote]
why? he's happy with the squier's sound and feel, so why spend extra money when its not necessary?

If it helps at all, here's my scenario;

I've plenty of instruments, including a Squier VMJ and an MIA Fender Jazz.
Still, I hanker after a G&L (ideally an ASAT, but you never know)

I have arguably kept basses I might (or even should) have sold, only to come back to them later and appreciate them more!

If you can, find a way to keep the G&L, and save up for the Squier...

I HAD the EXACT same prob with my Tribby L2000. As said above- I adjusted the P/ups & all's well- incredibly versatile bass that sounds great in all it's variations-but IT IS up to you alone. But if I were U I'd adjust the bass side of the pups down-the whole units & the individual pole pieces. I did-it worked!

[quote]i did find the smaller neck easier to play[/quote]

There's your answer. However much I like G&Ls, the tribbies don't have the jazz neck option, and if you prefer that skinny neck, then maybe it's time to move the G&L on.

However, do try adjusting the pickups before you make up your mind. Roll off the volume by a quarter, and maybe knock the bass & treble back a bit too.

Ok, well ive tried adjusting the pickups, its definitely lowered the output but hasn't really affected the sound.

I run it in passive mode nearly all the time and have the volume rolled off too.

I'm gona try out a few more basses, see if the jazz neck really is that much easier and then decide. I'm gona hang on to it for as long as i can, hopefully i won't have to sell it at all.

noisedude - It's a premium, natural gloss finish over swamp ash.

rodl2005 - what do you mean the bass side of the pickup? would that be the neck side?

how do i know what pole pieces i should adjust? if some strings are louder than others?

Thanks a lot for all the help, its really useful :)

i have the real deal G&L 2000 and im selling mine its a amazing looking bass in amber flame and has great sounds but many years of precision playing means its not for me, for one im afraid to damage it and two there are too many options soundwise im happy with a volume and tone,so basically i would encourage you to go with what feels best to you because im sure someone else will love your G&L and it will be there kinda sound

I was about to agree with the pickup dropping - they all come too high from the factory, but I see that you've persevered so I suspect you'd be better off with another bass. Whilst they aren't quite Marmite basses, they are generally popular with players who appreciate the versatility and 'grunt' rather than one core sound.