Why become a member? ×

What ever happen to all of the (bass) heroes ?

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='127907' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:49 PM']Nice to hear the bass high in the mix.

Song doesn't blow my skirt up i'm afraid. Sounds like everyone else.[/quote]

You're correct, it isn't that easy to find anything recent that comes halfway as close as JJ,Hooky,Mani et al in this area. Nothing springs to my mind anyway(?) :)

Reuben's Jon Pierce has a beast of a bass sound, some excellent lines and flails around on stage like a retard. Hero. I've said before somewhere else, Brand New's Garrett Tierney is awesome too, he has a really 'old' bass sound, vintage Fenders through Ampeg amps. Great basslines again, but he's pretty reserved on stage. For great, aggressive, scuzzy bass try bands like The Bronx, Bullet Treatment, Converge etc.

Finally someone agree with me!

I have grown very frustrated with todays music, and have repitably thought "Why do these guuys mention Entwistle, Lee and Squire as a influence, when they sound just like everyone else" And regarding to looks, yeah, we dont have any Rockstar looking "new" bands at all. No one look like Entwistle and Townshend, and no one manage to get the spirit of music out there, i feel that most people just write the songs, and dont give 'em the love and what they deserve.

A noteable exeption is Amy Humphrey from Clatter.. Shes realy doing something for the instrument.

Good thread!

This one's really got me thinking. It sounds like I'm from the same age as the OP and I'm missing the same things as he is in 'popular' contemporary music. Each year I do a CD of new tracks I've enjoyed for my musically inclined friends, so I just had a look through to see if there were any bass hero contenders...

Unfortunately for a start at least half the tracks don't feature any 'real' bass guitar. The bass is either synth or sampled loops. And on most of the other tracks the bass playing while sympathetic to the feel of the song is in a strictly supporting role only. There's some great songwriting, singing and even guitar playing, but not too much in the way of interesting bass guitar.

However there are three tracks where bass guitar plays a major role in the song and is a great bass line too.

So I present for your enjoyment:

"Here Are The Roses" by Dragons:

OK so it's very Joy Division, but in the absence of the real thing I think, it's an acceptable substitute and certainly an improvement over Interpol or The Editors.

"Tonyte" by Chrome Hoof

Giles Peterson's introduction says it all...

"Another Chance" by Mothernight

There's better and more prominent bass on some of the other tracks off their album but this has great guitar/bass interplay where the two parts fit perfectly together to form a riff that would be lacking without the other...

[quote name='jono b' post='127932' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:22 PM']Reuben's Jon Pierce has a beast of a bass sound, some excellent lines and flails around on stage like a retard. Hero. I've said before somewhere else, Brand New's Garrett Tierney is awesome too, he has a really 'old' bass sound, vintage Fenders through Ampeg amps. Great basslines again, but he's pretty reserved on stage. For great, aggressive, scuzzy bass try bands like The Bronx, Bullet Treatment, Converge etc.[/quote]

I saw Reuben live when they supported Billy Talent and I have to say they're not all that, Jon particuarly didn't impress me, but what the hey. Talking of Billy Talent, there first album when they were titled 'Pezz' is not stop with awesome bass lines, I really recommend to anyone because its a total unknown treasure.

As for Hero's Jason Newsted is still clattering around somewhere.....

AND Stuart Zender is still out on tour, he's awesome.

Edited by E_MaN

[quote name='ARGH' post='127895' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:35 PM']Come and watch me in 6 months time...

SERIOUSLY.

I WILL SLAUGHTER!!! \m/[/quote]
That's the point, though, isn't it? I daresay there are any number of exciting players, with bags of attitude on here - trouble is, we care about our playing & performance, we want to be the best we can be - and modern, high-profile & marketed music is [b]not[/b] a meritocracy. :)

Jon.

[quote]OK so it's very Joy Division, but in the absence of the real thing I think, it's an acceptable substitute and certainly an improvement over Interpol or The Editors.[/quote]

it's funny you should say that because i think the melody is very remeniscent of those bands. What's so bad about either of those 2 bands tho? I think with the other 2 vids you posted the bass kind of just did what it tends to do too much. Follow the guitar line.

[quote name='Thunder Fingers' post='128194' date='Jan 26 2008, 12:07 PM']Finally someone agree with me!

I have grown very frustrated with todays music, and have repitably thought "Why do these guuys mention Entwistle, Lee and Squire as a influence, when they sound just like everyone else" And regarding to looks, yeah, we dont have any Rockstar looking "new" bands at all. No one look like Entwistle and Townshend, and no one manage to get the spirit of music out there, i feel that most people just write the songs, and dont give 'em the love and what they deserve.

A noteable exeption is Amy Humphrey from Clatter.. Shes realy doing something for the instrument.[/quote]

I'm not even going to argue with you but i'll just say that i think you're wrong.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Being old (and all that!) I don't really follow new music, but I did get into the Arctic Monkeys so that pupils could play the stuff... However, a lot of my pupils want to play the old school rock music :)

Personally, I'm currently getting all the Victor Wooten CDs I can from the US (Soul Music & Live in America arrived this morning in the post) and listening & studying hard. A modern day bass hero as far as I'm concernerd, anyway.

[quote name='BigRedX' date='Jan 26 2008, 12:42 PM' post='128207']
Good thread!

OK so it's very Joy Division, but in the absence of the real thing I think, it's an acceptable substitute and certainly an improvement over Interpol or The Editors.

[b]Quite like this - cheers!
Cool Hayman bass too[/b]

Edited by nick

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='127545' date='Jan 25 2008, 08:54 AM']Is just me or are there no bass heroes anymore?

You know the guys who you saw on Top Of The Pops and thought “My God!...I want to look as cool at that guy”

For me people like JJ Brunell, Paul Simenon, Simon Gallup, Peter Hook….all made the bass look like an offence weapon.

I just don’t see anyone from contemporary bands inspiring an apathetic youth to play the bass.

While I continue my rant……can anyone suggest any bands around at the moment who have inspiring bass lines as I’m struggling to find anything worth listening to in this current trend of ‘femmepop’ as my mate calls it. Emasculated rock[/quote]

I heard The Wombats for the first time on Radio 1 today:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTEN359V8pI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTEN359V8pI[/url]

ridiculously catchy song, great sound, well-thrashed bass!

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='127865' date='Jan 25 2008, 04:45 PM']Any Suggestions?...I'm all ears[/quote]

I tend to agree with Toasted, just because they're not on MTV doesn't mean they don't exist. I've always found that the most inspirational music had to be found rather than being handed to you on a plate, but maybe that's just me. I listed a few earlier, but in case you missed them here's an expanded list;

Kings Of Leon, Bloc Party, Biffy Clyro, Against Me!, Muse, Dillinger Escape Plan, We Are Scientists, Minus The Bear, Rancid, Alkaline Trio, Hot Water Music, The Dismemberment Plan, Six Going On Seven, At The Drive-In, The Matches, Bad Religion, Les Savy Fav, Constantines, Mastodon, Fireside, Sick Of It All, Billy Talent, These Arms Are Snakes, Rise Against...

I guess it's entirely subjective but I think this thread has got a bit mixed up between bassists with swagger and attitude as originally listed and bassists with chops. I'm still trying to work out where The Fratellis, The View, The Feeling and 3 Doors Down fit into the equation... :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='128238' date='Jan 26 2008, 01:45 PM']That's the point, though, isn't it? I daresay there are any number of exciting players, with bags of attitude on here - trouble is, we care about our playing & performance, we want to be the best we can be - and modern, high-profile & marketed music is [b]not[/b] a meritocracy. :)

Jon.[/quote]

sorry,no...I think you'll find an awful lot of people that OWN basses,stand at the back doing sod all onstage....

Modern music ISNT going to do anything new on a 4 string Bass...Its all been done,so we either use different instruments (keys are better and more reliable than us as musicians in the studio),or we modify to survive...

[quote name='E_MaN' post='128228' date='Jan 26 2008, 01:16 PM']I saw Reuben live when they supported Billy Talent and I have to say they're not all that, Jon particuarly didn't impress me, but what the hey. Talking of Billy Talent, there first album when they were titled 'Pezz' is not stop with awesome bass lines, I really recommend to anyone because its a total unknown treasure.

As for Hero's Jason Newsted is still clattering around somewhere.....

AND Stuart Zender is still out on tour, he's awesome.[/quote]

Billy Talent are awesome. My band did a tour with them years ago, before I joined unfortunately, as I would've loved every minute of it :)

There are loads of great players in modern bands out there. You might need to (heaven forbid!) actually go to a gig to see them, but they're there.

As for the 4 string bass not being able to offer anything new, well... there are only 8 notes in western music no matter how many strings you've got. Juan Alderete in The Mars Volta and Chris W from Muse are managing to do pretty innovative and interesting stuff, to name but two.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='flip' post='129263' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:37 PM']I tend to agree with Toasted, just because they're not on MTV doesn't mean they don't exist. I've always found that the most inspirational music had to be found rather than being handed to you on a plate, but maybe that's just me. I listed a few earlier, but in case you missed them here's an expanded list;

Kings Of Leon, Bloc Party, Biffy Clyro, Against Me!, Muse, Dillinger Escape Plan, We Are Scientists, Minus The Bear, Rancid, Alkaline Trio, Hot Water Music, The Dismemberment Plan, Six Going On Seven, At The Drive-In, The Matches, Bad Religion, Les Savy Fav, Constantines, Mastodon, Fireside, Sick Of It All, Billy Talent, These Arms Are Snakes, Rise Against...

I guess it's entirely subjective but I think this thread has got a bit mixed up between bassists with swagger and attitude as originally listed and bassists with chops. I'm still trying to work out where The Fratellis, The View, The Feeling and 3 Doors Down fit into the equation... :)[/quote]

I think we'll have to put it down to a generation thing, I tried every band and I didn't like any of them I'm afraid....execept The Kings Of Leon and Hysteria by Muse which I liked anyway.

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='BigRedX' post='128207' date='Jan 26 2008, 12:42 PM']Good thread!

This one's really got me thinking. It sounds like I'm from the same age as the OP and I'm missing the same things as he is in 'popular' contemporary music. Each year I do a CD of new tracks I've enjoyed for my musically inclined friends, so I just had a look through to see if there were any bass hero contenders...

Unfortunately for a start at least half the tracks don't feature any 'real' bass guitar. The bass is either synth or sampled loops. And on most of the other tracks the bass playing while sympathetic to the feel of the song is in a strictly supporting role only. There's some great songwriting, singing and even guitar playing, but not too much in the way of interesting bass guitar.

However there are three tracks where bass guitar plays a major role in the song and is a great bass line too.

"Tonyte" by Chrome Hoof

Giles Peterson's introduction says it all...

"Another Chance" by Mothernight

There's better and more prominent bass on some of the other tracks off their album but this has great guitar/bass interplay where the two parts fit perfectly together to form a riff that would be lacking without the other...[/quote]

Good shout on The Dragons track...I like it. Hope Ian Curtis & Dave Gahan's lawyers aren't watching mind. Remind me a bit of late Jesus & Marychain

[quote name='flip' post='129263' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:37 PM']I listed a few earlier, but in case you missed them here's an expanded list;

Kings Of Leon, Bloc Party, Biffy Clyro, Against Me!, Muse, Dillinger Escape Plan, We Are Scientists, Minus The Bear, Rancid, Alkaline Trio, Hot Water Music, The Dismemberment Plan, Six Going On Seven, At The Drive-In, The Matches, Bad Religion, Les Savy Fav, Constantines, Mastodon, Fireside, Sick Of It All, Billy Talent, These Arms Are Snakes, Rise Against...[/quote]

You have some good taste there! Biffy Clyro are awesome, DEP are good, Minus the bear, HWM, ATDI, Mastodon, SOIA etc all fantastic.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='132522' date='Feb 2 2008, 12:30 PM']Good shout on The Dragons track...I like it. Hope Ian Curtis & Dave Gahan's lawyers aren't watching mind. Remind me a bit of late Jesus & Marychain[/quote]

The whole of the album is as if someone discovered some unreleased JD tracks and decided to mix them with a slightly more modern production. Derivative but damn good fun!

You may also enjoy [url="http://www.cut-city.com/"]Cut City[/url]

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='132559' date='Feb 2 2008, 02:01 PM']The whole of the album is as if someone discovered some unreleased JD tracks and decided to mix them with a slightly more modern production. Derivative but damn good fun!

You may also enjoy [url="http://www.cut-city.com/"]Cut City[/url][/quote]

Cut City are pretty good also.....got any more? :)

Justin Chancellor - Tool
Juan Alderete - Mars Volta
James Leach - Sikth
Ben Kenney - Incubus
Paul Turner - Jamiroquai
Jeordie White - Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle etc

Just to name some more well known players, I'm in love with Phil France's (Cinematic Orchestra) upright playing

R