Why become a member? ×

ARRIVED!! CIJ Fender Matched CAR 62 RI Limited Run Jazz Bass

xilddx

I know what you mean about the volume levels of the pick ups affecting the tone.
My jazz bass goes very deep and it's no coincidence that Familyman and Robbie both play jazzes for reggae.

The deepest tone is with the neck pick up on about half with the tone rolled right off and no bridge pick up at all.
This gives a great studio dub tone, but may not cut through enough at gigs, where an increase in level of the bridge pick up and the tone control will transform the sound.
Subtle changes in volume levels can produce dramatic changes tone wise and should cover any requirement.

And obviously, where and how you strike the strings is crucial as is your string choice - have fun !

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='Marvin' post='1119625' date='Feb 7 2011, 11:12 PM']I'm just waiting for some strange natural phenomena to occur now. Like all the grass turning blue or animals starting to speak Spanish or something equally weird.[/quote]
Or rs laing to appear bearing gifts and glad tidings.

I'm really glad to hear about all this Nige!

The best way I've managed to describe it with my Jazz (of which I have very similar feelings) is that its not the smoothest bass I've ever played, its not the most comfortable bass I've ever played and I sometimes find myself fighting it for every note but it's so rewarding!

I can assure you one day you'll have a gig where you and your jazz are finally in perfect harmony. Its a joyous feeling!

[quote name='bh2' post='1121336' date='Feb 9 2011, 01:25 PM']Yes... enjoy.
I seem to have a symbiotic relationship with my Jazz... it took us both a long time to get there.

Now get that pearl on![/quote]
I must admit I am slightly tempted by to fit a pearl white PG, but I really think it might look a bit like a friendly lady's bedroom, or be tempted to play country & western music..

[quote name='Sibob' post='1121562' date='Feb 9 2011, 04:53 PM']Knew you'd come round eventually :)

Si[/quote]
Yes :) Cheers!

It's hard to understand but I always did want a Fender, I was just put off by the random quality of them, and some a just plain rubbish, I've only played one USA one that had me thinking about it the next day, and that was a new USA Standard out of four I tried. But this, this is wonderful! It's like coming home. Although I am having to do lots of work on the POD to get it to sit in the mix right. No mad guitars to battle with but lots of keyboard, strings and vocal. I do one thing and it cancels out another, or I get a good audible eq but don't dig on the actual sound. These PODs can be wonderful but they are also a great way of disappearing up one's own arse.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1119625' date='Feb 7 2011, 11:12 PM']I'm just waiting for some strange natural phenomena to occur now. Like all the grass turning blue or animals starting to speak Spanish or something equally weird.[/quote]

You mean that the animals don't speak Spanish? What is it then as I was convinced I could understand them.

[quote name='silddx' post='1121574' date='Feb 9 2011, 05:05 PM']Yes :) Cheers!

It's hard to understand but I always did want a Fender, I was just put off by the random quality of them, and some a just plain rubbish, I've only played one USA one that had me thinking about it the next day, and that was a new USA Standard out of four I tried. But this, this is wonderful! It's like coming home. Although I am having to do lots of work on the POD to get it to sit in the mix right. No mad guitars to battle with but lots of keyboard, strings and vocal. I do one thing and it cancels out another, or I get a good audible eq but don't dig on the actual sound. These PODs can be wonderful but they are also a great way of disappearing up one's own arse.[/quote]

Still prefered the white one :) :lol:

[quote name='silddx' post='1121574' date='Feb 9 2011, 05:05 PM']Yes :) Cheers!

It's hard to understand but I always did want a Fender, I was just put off by the random quality of them, and some a just plain rubbish, I've only played one USA one that had me thinking about it the next day, and that was a new USA Standard out of four I tried. But this, this is wonderful! It's like coming home. Although I am having to do lots of work on the POD to get it to sit in the mix right. No mad guitars to battle with but lots of keyboard, strings and vocal. I do one thing and it cancels out another, or I get a good audible eq but don't dig on the actual sound. These PODs can be wonderful but they are also a great way of disappearing up one's own arse.[/quote]

The random quality is just utter sh**....it really annoys me. The current retail prices are sky high...they need to really think about what they do in QC.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1121745' date='Feb 9 2011, 07:11 PM']The random quality is just utter sh**....it really annoys me. The current retail prices are sky high...they need to really think about what they do in QC.[/quote]
I know man, it's pathetic. But when you get a goodun (naturally that will be from Japan :)) they do feel so f***ing right!

Yay! I have a J-Retro in my fretless. A veritable tone monster it is... watch the output, I've already destroyed two 15s with it!

Back to the pearl - I have a pearl on my Precision... it's a bit weddings, christenings and bar mitzvahs... it's what you play after all...

[quote name='bh2' post='1121767' date='Feb 9 2011, 07:22 PM']Yay! I have a J-Retro in my fretless. A veritable tone monster it is... watch the output, I've already destroyed two 15s with it!

Back to the pearl - I have a pearl on my Precision... it's a bit weddings, christenings and bar mitzvahs... it's what you play after all...

[/quote]
Haha! I have a U-Retro in my Electra, awesome beast. I don't use any amplification so it's only the FoH at risk :)

You know I think I might just go for the pearl white guard too!

I've flirted with the idea of a J-retro too but decided against it because if I needed versatility I'd have gone for a MM Sterling or an Yamaha watchamacallit not a classic Fender.

But saying that I'd be interested in what your before and after opinion is of the Retro when you fit it..