Why become a member? ×

ARRIVED!! CIJ Fender Matched CAR 62 RI Limited Run Jazz Bass

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1115338' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:29 PM']Well, thank you for all your kind replies! And pictures :)

I'm picking this bass up tomorrow, so we shall see what it's like in the flesh before I make a decision. I'm getting excited now!

One thing I will do is swap all the hardware for gold Hipshot stuff.[/quote]

I picked up my new '62 Fiesta Precision from John excellent - top bloke, very helpful and gave me a lift back to Epping tube station! Didn't see this one while I was there, but mine has been top so far!

[quote name='Plux_the_Duck' post='1115925' date='Feb 4 2011, 09:43 PM']you were the one who bought it. A good friend of mine was after this. Seems you beat him by a matter of hours...

if you don't like it, I'll say for him first refusal![/quote]
Ahh mate, he'll be second on the list next to Grand Wazoo. I'm really hoping the neck is what I want but John's measurements seem like it will suit me perfectly.

[quote name='faceman' post='1115963' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:25 PM']I picked up my new '62 Fiesta Precision from John excellent - top bloke, very helpful and gave me a lift back to Epping tube station! Didn't see this one while I was there, but mine has been top so far![/quote]
Hey thanks Face. That's good to know!

[quote name='bh2' post='1116394' date='Feb 5 2011, 12:00 PM']Cor... gold hardware... not normally a fan but I think it'll go well with this.
Get the white pearl on as well and post the piccys please.[/quote]
Haha! I was just kidding mate :) It looks beautiful as it is and I doubt I will change anything. To all those who recommended a mint PG, it is already a minty PG and it complements the finish perfectly so it's staying for now.

I've just got it home! And by god it's an absolute CRACKER!

The finish is as deep and rich as you can imagine, and in superb condition. One thing I was a little concerned about when I first clapped eyes on it at John's place was that it looks to be a six piece alder body, the joints are just visible as the paint has shrunk over time. BUT, on playing it unplugged with the old chin on the horn trick any concerns vanished, it's wonderfully resonant. The emphasis seems to be in the pillowy lower mids, exactly what we want, and it is at the headstock too. It's like it's alive!

And boy, it's a real rock machine, growly, snarly, bright, but it's got a good bottom end too which will be good for my dance/pop bands. I reckon it will be a good all rounder, but the emphasis is really on the rock side of things. As soon as I played it I thought of Geddy. The Badass no doubt helps as it seems to have great sustain and unplugged it seems way louder than any bass I've owned, certainly much louder than my Warwicks unplugged. I can really dig in on this bass, it just wants to be played hard, it's that sort of instrument.

The neck is just what I'd dreamed it would be. Very shallow, truly lovely to play. Deep dark honey colour gloss over the nicely figured maple, the rosewood is dark, and it looks old. The frets are very thin and there's almost no wear. The edges are nicely rounded. The nut is in great nick too. There's almost no relief and therefore action is a little high to compensate, so I'll loosen the truss rod a 1/4 turn and lower the saddles, that should do the trick I hope. I'll give it a full service while I'm at it and put a fresh set of the new K3 coated DR Black Beauties on.

The pickups are Fender USA Vintage SCs and they seem to have a high output and sound bright and detailed.

It plays better than any Jazz I've ever played, new, old, vintage. It's incredible. Totally different to my Warwicks. I just want to pick it up and play, it feels that inspiring, even to a lazy bastard like me :) I don't think I've ever felt this way about a bass.

It looks the absolute dogs nadgers! And I'm absolutely delighted!

John Blackman is a wonderful bloke to deal with. He's got a great eye for instruments and really knows what he's talking about. I have no doubt you will also be delighted if you purchase an instrument from him. I tried a lovely RI Tele guitar when I was there too, it played like a dream.

Cheers all!

Edited by silddx

So... How much you want for it then?
:)

[quote name='silddx' post='1116601' date='Feb 5 2011, 03:06 PM']Haha! I was just kidding mate :) It looks beautiful as it is and I doubt I will change anything. To all those who recommended a mint PG, it is already a minty PG and it complements the finish perfectly so it's staying for now.

I've just got it home! And by god it's an absolute CRACKER!

The finish is as deep and rich as you can imagine, and in superb condition. One thing I was a little concerned about when I first clapped eyes on it at John's place was that it looks to be a six piece alder body, the joints are just visible as the paint has shrunk over time. BUT, on playing it unplugged with the old chin on the horn trick any concerns vanished, it's wonderfully resonant. The emphasis seems to be in the pillowy lower mids, exactly what we want, and it is at the headstock too. It's like it's alive!

And boy, it's a real rock machine, growly, snarly, bright, but it's got a good bottom end too which will be good for my dance/pop bands. I reckon it will be a good all rounder, but the emphasis is really on the rock side of things. As soon as I played it I thought of Geddy. The Badass no doubt helps as it seems to have great sustain and unplugged it seems way louder than any bass I've owned, certainly much louder than my Warwicks unplugged. I can really dig in on this bass, it just wants to be played hard, it's that sort of instrument.

The neck is just what I'd dreamed it would be. Very shallow, truly lovely to play. Deep dark honey colour gloss over the nicely figured maple, the rosewood is dark, and it looks old. The frets are very thin and there's almost no wear. The edges are nicely rounded. The nut is in great nick too. There's almost no relief and therefore action is a little high to compensate, so I'll loosen the truss rod a 1/4 turn and lower the saddles, that should do the trick I hope. I'll give it a full service while I'm at it and put a fresh set of the new K3 coated DR Black Beauties on.

The pickups are Fender USA Vintage SCs and they seem to have a high output and sound bright and detailed.

It plays better than any Jazz I've ever played, new, old, vintage. It's incredible. Totally different to my Warwicks. I just want to pick it up and play, it feels that inspiring, even to a lazy bastard like me :lol: I don't think I've ever felt this way about a bass.

It looks the absolute dogs nadgers! And I'm absolutely delighted!

John Blackman is a wonderful bloke to deal with. He's got a great eye for instruments and really knows what he's talking about. I have no doubt you will also be delighted if you purchase an instrument from him. I tried a lovely RI Tele guitar when I was there too, it played like a dream.

Cheers all![/quote]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='bh2' post='1116789' date='Feb 5 2011, 06:15 PM']Yes... a good jazz is all you need I reckon... now get the frets orf and drop in a J-Retro!

only kidding! :)[/quote]
:)

J Retro might be a good idea actually! Got a U-R Deluxe in my other bass.

I just stripped it, cleaned it up, gave it a gentle fret level, dress and polish. Servisoled the electrics, lemon oiled the board, and shimmed the neck a little bit as the saddles on the Badass had bottomed on the E and G. Loosened the truss rod a little, and strung it with the Black Beauties.

Smooth as silk to play now, action is 2.5mm at the 12th, a bit higher than I'd like but I'll get used to it. Lovely, lovely bass!

[quote name='silddx' post='1116878' date='Feb 5 2011, 07:29 PM']:)

J Retro might be a good idea actually! Got a U-R Deluxe in my other bass.

I just stripped it, cleaned it up, gave it a gentle fret level, dress and polish. Servisoled the electrics, lemon oiled the board, and shimmed the neck a little bit as the saddles on the Badass had bottomed on the E and G. Loosened the truss rod a little, and strung it with the Black Beauties.

Smooth as silk to play now, action is 2.5mm at the 12th, a bit higher than I'd like but I'll get used to it. Lovely, lovely bass![/quote]

I wouldn't touch it until I had played it in for a few months... A John East is a good idea at some point, IMV but I'd explore
the sonic possibilities fully first.

I like basses that grow on you so providing you have everything in place and only feel tweaks are in order cosmetically, this all sounds very good to me...

[quote name='JTUK' post='1118034' date='Feb 6 2011, 06:36 PM']I wouldn't touch it until I had played it in for a few months... A John East is a good idea at some point, IMV but I'd explore
the sonic possibilities fully first.

I like basses that grow on you so providing you have everything in place and only feel tweaks are in order cosmetically, this all sounds very good to me...[/quote]
I agree mate, I spent about four hours with it yesterday, playing it and tweaking some existing POD patches I had created for the Warwick. I A/Bed it direct too. This is all with music on to see how it behaves in the mix.

It's a fantastic sound but it does lack some low end, but the tone control backed off about halfway and the level up a little allows the low end to kick out more.

I think you're bang on, I need to get used to using a passive bass for a bit. Weird how the sweet spot thing works on the Vols too! With the front pup up full there's a 2mm range on the back pup Vol that makes a very big difference to the upper mids. The difference between it punching through the mix, and not. I'm just about to spend an hour creating some patches for it. A total EQ from scratch exercise once I've found an amp model and boost/comp box that complements it. I really don't want to make it an active, it would detract from its personality.

I have to say I am seriously taken with this bass, it's a wonderful player, has real character and I can really dig in, my fingers are f***ed today, I haven't played for that long at home for many years.

[quote name='silddx' post='1118741' date='Feb 7 2011, 11:47 AM']Low end now liberated :lol:[/quote]
We don't want to know when you've been to the loo.

In all seriousness though, it does look very, very :) I'd quite like an instrument with an F on it myself. Oh and I don't mean a Fodera :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1119304' date='Feb 7 2011, 07:21 PM']This is a good point....I find if a bass does this to me, then Im very happy![/quote]
First time ever for me. I would, without question, never replace this bass without first trying the prospective replacement. This is the first time I have felt a deep connection with a bass. I hope it lasts.

It's hard to explain, but I feel that the notes I play on it are given back to me by the bass, they don't disappear, every not I play on it brings the bass closer to me. The bass does not remain the same, we give to each other and take from each other. The bass and me are synergistic. It's harder to play than my Warwicks, it has four frets missing, it's passive, it's a funny colour, the frets are too skinny, it's completely old fashioned. But the neck is wonderful and it responds to everything I do.

I realise it sounds stupid - it's wood and strings, but it's what I felt on Saturday night, and I still feel it. I truly loved my Warwicks because they were so reliable, great sounding and beautiful to play, but I never got this feeling from them. I don't get it from the Chris Squire Electra I built either. They are all tools. This is different. I wonder if the feeling will last? I've been searching for this feeling for a long time, once I realised it was possible. I had it with a guitar 20 years ago, a Aria Pro II that I modded very heavily. I wore the frets out after three years. I gave it to a friend.

[quote name='silddx' post='1119345' date='Feb 7 2011, 07:57 PM']First time ever for me. I would, without question, never replace this bass without first trying the prospective replacement. This is the first time I have felt a deep connection with a bass. I hope it lasts.

It's hard to explain, but I feel that the notes I play on it are given back to me by the bass, they don't disappear, every not I play on it brings the bass closer to me. The bass does not remain the same, we give to each other and take from each other. The bass and me are synergistic. It's harder to play than my Warwicks, it has four frets missing, it's passive, it's a funny colour, the frets are too skinny, it's completely old fashioned. But the neck is wonderful and it responds to everything I do.

I realise it sounds stupid - it's wood and strings, but it's what I felt on Saturday night, and I still feel it. I truly loved my Warwicks because they were so reliable, great sounding and beautiful to play, but I never got this feeling from them. I don't get it from the Chris Squire Electra I built either. They are all tools. This is different. I wonder if the feeling will last? I've been searching for this feeling for a long time, once I realised it was possible. I had it with a guitar 20 years ago, a Aria Pro II that I modded very heavily. I wore the frets out after three years. I gave it to a friend.[/quote]

yeah so... how much you want for it then? :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1119345' date='Feb 7 2011, 07:57 PM']First time ever for me. I would, without question, never replace this bass without first trying the prospective replacement. This is the first time I have felt a deep connection with a bass. I hope it lasts.

I realise it sounds stupid - it's wood and strings, but it's what I felt on Saturday night, and I still feel it. I truly loved my Warwicks because they were so reliable, great sounding and beautiful to play, but I never got this feeling from them. I don't get it from the Chris Squire Electra I built either. They are all tools. This is different. I wonder if the feeling will last? I've been searching for this feeling for a long time, once I realised it was possible. I had it with a guitar 20 years ago, a Aria Pro II that I modded very heavily. I wore the frets out after three years. I gave it to a friend.[/quote]
Cool to hear that, Nigel!

Didn't think I'd see the day when you (1) parted company with the Warwick, and (2) tried out, nay, loved a Fender bass. Just goes to show.

TBH I've really liked my Squier Precision Special, but I'm currently using the Ibanez more. There's a certain [i]je ne sais que[/i] with the Ibby, especially after I modded the controls to fit a series/parallel switch. It's not a difficult mod to do, and opens the bass up more IMHO. In parallel mode, it's set up just like the stock controls, with one volume pot per pickup. Switching it into series mode moves the pickups into, well, series with the neck vol pot being the master control. Works a treat, and could do more for the Jazz than maybe spending a lot of time on the EQ patches. I found I got a big jump in volume (no surprise :) ), but also a big bump in the mids, which helped me at a time when I was getting lost in the mix.

I found also by playing around with the EQ on my head a bit, I was able to get probably the best tone I've ever gotten at a gig - it was yesterday, at church. Which surprised me greatly. Just had my GK feeding my 1x15 only, and using your old SansAmp to go into the desk for the FoH. Head was set flat, with the bass just rolled off a smidge. I then used the 'Active Bass Simulator' settings in the SansAmp manual (cheers for digging those out for me, mate!!), with maybe a touch more drive than shown, and about 75% wet/dry blend. Was seriously blown away with how well the Ibby cut through. Just goes to show how good a passive bass can be when set up properly, with a little time spent dialling in the EQ.

Anyway, it's great to hear you finding something new with bass playing. I'm continually looking for different sources of inspiration with my playing too, and I know what a bump it gets every time I try out a new bass.

Best of luck with it, my friend :)

Ian