Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='apa' post='1180395' date='Mar 29 2011, 07:19 AM']Hi George

Back in the heady days when these were available I dont think they did a red one. Although Im not 100% sure. Your best bet is to do like us and pop down Halfords and buy a can of your favourite red and have some fun making it your Ryder. There are a few still available in shops scattered around the country and one or two on here in the Basses for Sale section.

A[/quote]
They did indeed do red - Mark Griffiths himself played one on the 2008 Royal Variety Show, and a bass playing buddy got one when the shops started selling them off at £60.

George

[quote name='macshadow' post='1180875' date='Mar 29 2011, 03:10 PM']They did indeed do red - Mark Griffiths himself played one on the 2008 Royal Variety Show, and a bass playing buddy got one when the shops started selling them off at £60.

George[/quote]

by george your right George...........
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIoaUSkV3c"]youtube vid[/url]

Sue Ryder RP-1 by Royal Appointment :)

A

Edited about 20 times!!!

Edited by apa

[quote name='theplumber' post='1178589' date='Mar 27 2011, 06:57 PM']Great looking guitars,but still the awful ugly headstock....almost as bad as on the Johnstone bass guitars.....anyone done any mods with the fretsaw/sandpaper yet?[/quote]

Funny, I first noticed the basses because of the headstock. I liked that they were not a straight copy, and managed to find a cool design (in my opinion).

So there, I like them :)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1180656' date='Mar 29 2011, 12:11 PM']Out of interest are the maple-boarded necks a little fatter than the RW boarded versions? I quite like the D shape, but find it a bit chunky for my poor, weedy guitarists fingers with high tension strings.[/quote]

Yes they are. I noticed that a while ago (2x RW and 2xM necks in my possession) and commented on it.
I toyed with the idea of having the shoulders shaven a tiny bit (actually my luthier suggested that when I took one to be converted into fretless), but I'm leaving it as it is for now. I get used to it quickly.

[quote name='apa' post='1181124' date='Mar 29 2011, 06:18 PM']by george your right George...........
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIoaUSkV3c"]youtube vid[/url]

Sue Ryder RP-1 by Royal Appointment :)

A

Edited about 20 times!!![/quote]

Well, proof that it can be gigged... although I was hoping for something else, to be honest :)

I've tracked down the last one in West Yorkshire. it's "Black and White" and £89.95.

It's here:Hill Top, Knottingley, WF11 8ER 01977 672411 (Off 01977 677356)

I decided to pass at £90, had it been £60....!

It would be sensible to give them a ring to see if they've still got it first!

Well, it happened. I collected the Sue Ryder #3, now fretless, from my luthier. (pictures coming soon)

Mwahtiful. Thumptiful too, with those Rotosound TruBass nylon tapewounds. Definitely much better on a fretless.

My luthier loved the previous fretless job I gave him, but this one really appealed to him. He loved the Ryder. So he asked me if I know of a similar bass going cheap to let him know, and he'll make himself a fretless bass out of it.

So, anybody thinking of letting his SR P-bass go?

[quote name='mcnach' post='1183348' date='Mar 31 2011, 02:18 PM']Well, it happened. I collected the Sue Ryder #3, now fretless, from my luthier. (pictures coming soon)

Mwahtiful. Thumptiful too, with those Rotosound TruBass nylon tapewounds. Definitely much better on a fretless.

My luthier loved the previous fretless job I gave him, but this one really appealed to him. He loved the Ryder. So he asked me if I know of a similar bass going cheap to let him know, and he'll make himself a fretless bass out of it.

So, anybody thinking of letting his SR P-bass go?[/quote]

Thats not a bad endorsement if a luthier fancies one :) but no pics means no mods Im afraid Jose :)

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' post='1183667' date='Mar 31 2011, 06:29 PM']Thats not a bad endorsement if a luthier fancies one :) but no pics means no mods Im afraid Jose :)

A[/quote]

he was impressed by it, but then as long as the basic build is half decent, he can turn it into anything he wants to easily.
I've known him for about 3 years now, and it was a strictly acoustic instruments initially. I'm slowly turning him to the dark side... and even into bass :lol:. I think he realises how simple electric instruments are, compared to acoustic ones, so that he wants to keep an open mind in case someone wants him to build them one...

Pictures?

Is it pictures you want???

well, alright, just because it's you... here are some pictures :P

Let me show you... the [s]first[/s] second[color="#0000FF"][1][/color] [b]Sue Ryder P-bass [/b][b][u][size=4]FRETLESS[/size][/u][/b]!!!!

[color="#0000FF"][1][/color] [size=1]number 1 is apa's wonderfully bling golden & walnut instrument... how could I forget??? :D[/size]

Here is SR#3 on the right and SR#1 on the left, that I showed previously.
SR#3 now has the neck of SR#2, which I defretted. The slots were filled with pale sycamore veneer and the whole thing oil finished. It has the Rotosound TruBass strings I had initially put on SR#1. This one is staying with the original pickguard.

Fretless with those strings it's very thumpy, woody... I need to open it up on day, as the electrics could improve, but it's pretty sweet.

Here it is again, this time next to the other beauty I received today from another wonderful basschatter:

Is that enough pictures for you???

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1183811' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:05 PM']he was impressed by it, but then as long as the basic build is half decent, he can turn it into anything he wants to easily.
I've known him for about 3 years now, and it was a strictly acoustic instruments initially. I'm slowly turning him to the dark side... and even into bass :lol:. I think he realises how simple electric instruments are, compared to acoustic ones, so that he wants to keep an open mind in case someone wants him to build them one...

Pictures?

Is it pictures you want???

well, alright, just because it's you... here are some pictures :P

Let me show you... the first[color="#0000FF"][1][/color] [b]Sue Ryder P-bass [/b][b][u][size=4]FRETLESS[/size][/u][/b]!!!!

[color="#0000FF"][1][/color] [size=1]as far as I am aware![/size]

Here is SR#3 on the right and SR#1 on the left, that I showed previously.
SR#3 now has the neck of SR#2, which I defretted. The slots were filled with pale sycamore veneer and the whole thing oil finished. It has the Rotosound TruBass strings I had initially put on SR#1. This one is staying with the original pickguard.

Fretless with those strings it's very thumpy, woody... I need to open it up on day, as the electrics could improve, but it's pretty sweet.

Here it is again, this time next to the other beauty I received today from another wonderful basschatter:

Is that enough pictures for you???[/quote]

Very nice Jose and a very nice job by your tame luthier.

HOWEVER May I refer you to my post of the pictures of Bernice where you will CLEARLY see that Bernice is a FRETLESS Ryder [url="http://www.dramabutton.com/"](Press for appropriate music)[/url] :D So will hence forth and untowards and ithertoo be refereded to hence with and without duress or without prejourdice as the FIRST FRETLESS RYDER. And I believe it was you yourself that commented on the niceness of the fingerboard was it not indeed?

I demand a retraction Sir :)

I do agree with you on the Trubass strings though :)

Yours in virtual green ink

A

Edited by apa