Why become a member? ×

Bass Bash Raffle

obbm

As we all know this site requires an injection of cash from time to time and I thought that one good way to raise some money would be to have a raffle at the Bash in March.

I am opening the prize fund with two of my 1-metre Klotz 4sq.mm. speaker cables. These will be two separate prizes and the winner can choose between Jack-Jack, Speakon-Speakon or Jack-Speakon.

Ped has already agreed to get some tickets and to put up a prize.

Anyone else care to donate a prize?

Excellent! Thanks for posting this Dave. I will have a rummage for some goodies.

It needn't be anything decent - a tin of peas always goes down well. Actually I suppose bass related things would be useful.

The donation on entry will go to a charity chosen by Rich (Alzheimer's) and the raffle will be something like a pound or two a ticket. Should be great fun!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='126025' date='Jan 23 2008, 12:25 PM']It needn't be anything decent - a tin of peas always goes down well. Actually I suppose bass related things would be useful.[/quote] :)
[url="http://www.mcld.co.uk/oddmu/tincanbass/"]A Tin Of Bass[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jimbo' post='136151' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:02 PM']....OK, if you think I am being a bit mad then say, but:

I have a near mint, midnight blue 2000 MIM Jazz with pearl PG and OHSC that has seen little use since I got it. Sheer laziness has meant that I have not got round to putting it on sale either here or ConBay. It has a new set of Elixirs on and is in a fair state set-up wise.

I plan to come to the bash and would be happy to contribute this to the raffle. Fair?[/quote]
Have you been drinking?!!!

[quote name='ped' post='136196' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:07 AM']Jimbo - are you mental my son?! Of course that would be brilliant but... I mean...

...Think it over and see how you feel nearer the time!!

Cheers matey

ped[/quote]

Ped! Shuddup and sell me a book of raffle tickets!

[quote name='Jimbo' post='136242' date='Feb 8 2008, 06:58 AM']- Only a wafer thin amount Monsieur! Offer still stands...[/quote]

[url="http://sidesalad.net/archives/MontyPythonsMeaningOfLifeMrCreosoteItsOnlyWaferThin.jpg"][/url]

- But Mr Creosote its wafffer thin!

Edited by metalmaniac

With all these super duper prizes being offered, would it be an idea to throw it open to all Basschat members? This way the pot would be bigger.

You could allow people to Paypal an amount for tickets up to the day before the bash, then some poor soul gets the task of allocating tickets to those "non-present" members. Perhaps if anyone who doesn't make it to the bash agrees to pay shipping for any prize they win.

Should be fairly easy to organise, easy to show that all is "above board", and would I'm sure attract a lot more raffle entrants.

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='RichardH' post='136743' date='Feb 8 2008, 05:57 PM']With all these super duper prizes being offered, would it be an idea to throw it open to all Basschat members? This way the pot would be bigger.

You could allow people to Paypal an amount for tickets up to the day before the bash, then some poor soul gets the task of allocating tickets to those "non-present" members. Perhaps if anyone who doesn't make it to the bash agrees to pay shipping for any prize they win.

Should be fairly easy to organise, easy to show that all is "above board", and would I'm sure attract a lot more raffle entrants.[/quote]

+1

I'll poke through my miscellaneous crad just post moving, will have something bass related going.

Great idea RE a 'virtual raffle' - I think that would be really good fun. Can we do the Bash one first though to test run it and stir up some interest? I have never held a raffle before and would hate to muddle it all up.

Thanks everyone for the amazing prizes so far. I think if we hold the raffle draw at shall we say 3pm at the bash, would that suit most people, I suppose everyone who enters would have to be there?

Cheers
ped

I can't imagine so many generous prizes being offered for a second raffle (though you never know!) - if you want to do a trial run first, why not work out what prizes tyou've got "in the pot" by the time of the Bash, then - with the donors' permission - hold some back for the virtual raffle, so you already have a prize fund built up.

I just thought the idea of being able to enter the bash raffle "from afar" would be good - a bit of a connection with the bash, even if I can't make it!

I'm sure you wouldn't mess it up, ped, anyway - as I see it, it goes like this:

[list]
[*]Decide how much for each ticket. For some reason, most raffles I've been involved with (village halls etc) seem to sell them "per strip" - so you get 5 tickets for your £1 or whatever.
[*]buy a couple of books of raffle tickets
[*]Maybe set up a separate Paypal address for the ticket purchases
[*]As the purchases come through, allocate the tickets to the person. Tear off the bit you'd normally give to the buyer, and write their name/email address on the back.
[*]After the closing date for the virtual raffle, rip out the stubs, split them up individually, and fold each ready to go in the hat with the rest of the tickets bought on the day.
[*]Decide on a prize order, so first ticket out gets the original 66 Jazz, second gets the full Markbass rig*, etc. Then there's no fun and games with people having to choose which prize they get.
[/list]

*prizes may differ from that suggested, I take no responsibility for supplying any of the suggested prizes :)

There would have to be agreement in place that the winner of a prize will be willing to pay postage for the item. Perhaps you should also draw a few extra tickets to cover for the possibility of a "virtual" winner saying they don't want the prize after all, so it gets allocated to the first of the backup winners.

Just a thought...

Edited by RichardH

I believe that this would count as a formal raffle and as such there are legal implications. There is always a load of legal jargon on official raffle tickets.

Doing it on the day with cloakroom tickets seems to be a way around this. Any legal experts on board?

[quote name='obbm' post='137976' date='Feb 11 2008, 09:29 AM']I believe that this would count as a formal raffle and as such there are legal implications. There is always a load of legal jargon on official raffle tickets.

Doing it on the day with cloakroom tickets seems to be a way around this. Any legal experts on board?[/quote]

On the day with cloakroom tickets would be one way of getting more members to turn up... if you're not there, then you can't be in it to win it...

with such a big pot of prizes, I'd be well keen to buy a big wodge of tickets on the day... especially as it's payday the day before... :)

I'd be bringing a Bass DVD and a couple of surplus books (with CDs) to chuck into the pot as well...