Why become a member? ×

Best 2x12

far0n

Barefaced also do a Neo 2 x 12 as well... [url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve[/url]

[quote name='far0n' post='1096663' date='Jan 20 2011, 07:04 PM']Fancy getting one eventually (in the summer), any opinions ? Never owned a 12s cab but I was looking for something with just a bit more 'kaboom' than my David Eden 210. Like the look of those Genz Benz Neo 212 cabs :)[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='E sharp' post='1096924' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:35 PM']Not exactly flavour of the month , but there's still some guys on Talkbass who mention the Eden 212XLT as being one of the all time top cabs .[/quote]
They are great cabs ............................................

[quote name='51m0n' post='1096998' date='Jan 20 2011, 11:57 PM']Barefaced Super 12[/quote]
Now that I've gigged a couple of times with a Barefaced Super 12 T, I'll pass on my thoughts. I did have a Big One, the 15" LF and 6" mid cab. I had a couple of problems with it, the main one being that the Eden Traveler 550 found it tough going driving it. You need an amp capable of taming this beast, with more power than 500 watts into 4 ohms. The sound was exquisite though - plenty of real sub frequencies when using an octaver, coupled with a silky smooth mid and uppermid/lower treble.

The Super Twelve is more efficient and suits the Eden far better, and marries up better with the FX unit I have. Some of the FX chuck out some pretty high frequencies and the treble extension of the the tweeter handles it as smoothly as the Big One handled the mids. It will do grit and ballsy if that's what your rig up to the cab produces. I reckon an Orange Terror Bass would also suit this cab really well, for those wanting a less straight sound than the Eden. Or one of the Hartkes for something in between the Eden and Orange. Or a growly GK... The point being that it throws out pretty much what you put in.

The main difference between the Super Twelve and the Big One is that the very lowest frequencies are down in comparison - most noticeable from about 30Hz downwards when using an octaver. The bass it does put out this low down is clean though, but cuts off rapidly under this. Responsive and solid is a good description of the bass end in general. It's tight, full, but not bloated, the mids are slightly more aggressive than the Big One, and the treble is clear and uncoloured, with no fizz or spikeyness in the response.

In a decent sized crowded pub, and with an exuberant drummer, and with the guitar and keyboards going through the PA, the cab was able to push enough out to fill the room. There was plenty more left in the pot as well. Whether it's suitable for everyone... no it won't be, there are some that just won't like it, but I'd still recommend anyone in the market for a high quality 2 x 12 cab to give one a try out. It's the best one I've used.*

* As well as being the only one :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1097041' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:56 AM']How about another Eden 210?[/quote]

I've got one ! Well I've I've got two in fact. I tend to use them both for larger gigs stacked on top of each other but when it comes to some tiny little pub I just need a single cab that'll give my a bit more than a single 2x10. Hate 15s so I was thinking 2x12.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1097086' date='Jan 21 2011, 08:27 AM']You need an amp capable of taming this beast, with more power than 500 watts into 4 ohms.[/quote]

More than 500 watts? What? ...for a single cab? containing a 15 and a 6... that are crossovered?

Again... what?

[quote name='cetera' post='1097270' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:27 AM']I can't recommend the GenzBenz Neox212 highly enough! Solid, deep lows through burping then grinding mids and onto sparkling highs.... and all in a very light, easily manoeuvrable package! :)[/quote]

Yup. Been impressed with the Genz 2x12 offering. In reply to the OP, to be honest, when you get to this level, there is no "best", just different... and you have to see which suits you best.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1097265' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:24 AM']More than 500 watts? What? ...for a single cab? containing a 15 and a 6... that are crossovered?

Again... what?[/quote]

I'd agree with that, the BigOne requires big big power to get it to really be hugely loud. 500watts is not going to make it break a sweat....

Thing is, it can handle that massive power. Unlike anything else I've heard.

So its really not very efficient, but goes VERY deep (far deeper than anything else I've ever heard), and given a huge dose of power will happily get very very loud.

It sounds gorgeous though.

The Super12 is far more efficient, though not as deep. Very punchy (will take eq'ed in beef happily at gig volumes) - sounds lovely, but different to the BigOne.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1097293' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:40 AM']I'd agree with that, the BigOne requires big big power to get it to really be hugely loud. 500watts is not going to make it break a sweat....[/quote]

Ah. OK, so what you save in super-lightweight cabs, you make up with super heavy poweramps.

Anyway, we are going off topic, back to 2x12s!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1097265' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:24 AM']More than 500 watts? What? ...for a single cab? containing a 15 and a 6... that are crossovered?

Again... what?[/quote]

:)

But true

Edited by sk8

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1097298' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:44 AM']Ah. OK, so what you save in super-lightweight cabs, you make up with super heavy poweramps.

Anyway, we are going off topic, back to 2x12s![/quote]

Well I dunno about that - massively powerful modern PA amps are more often than not Digital, sound the beans and are no heavier than an LH500.....

Basically a 1K amp into the BigOne will knock walls over. With a beautiful tone :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1097356' date='Jan 21 2011, 12:18 PM']Which would be a very good point if the main design goal of the Big One was minimum weight - but it wasn't! :)[/quote]

[size=5]Maximum Tone[/size]

[size=5]Maximum Output[/size]

[size=5]Minimum Weight [/size]

Point 3. Not my words. Would probably be better to be more specific in what check boxes the cabs tick than write generalisations that could be misunderstood.

Edited by EBS_freak