Why become a member? ×

Thread On Tb...

bubinga5

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096306' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:38 PM']It doesn't portray this or any other forum in a good light having the sneering bile and derision displayed to some one who post videos, which they are obviously proud of. Does it really offend you that he enjoys his playing and composition of his music.[/quote]

Been reading this thread with interest.

I would agree that it's not particularly 'becoming' of a site like this or Talkbass to have a number of it's members berating a player but unfortunately once you've posted up a video on the internet, the world's biggest viewing platform, you lose a substantial amount of right to be offended by some of the comments that precede. That's reality.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096317' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:42 PM']Yes that is called reflection, however it only truly works as part of a complete learning cycle as in Kolb. ie taking part in all of the experiences which is'nt applicable as i did not play or compose the piece of music in question so therefore the value of your critique is little.[/quote]

But,when I talk about limited harmonic content it could (should?) make you look at your own harmonic ability.
I've read people slag off guys before for certain aspects of their playing and have gone on to look at those aspects of my own playing.
So even though you haven't written the music we are talking about,you can still benefit from the discussion of his abilities.

[quote name='risingson' post='1096328' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:46 PM']Been reading this thread with interest.

I would agree that it's not particularly 'becoming' of a site like this or Talkbass to have a number of it's members berating a player but unfortunately once you've posted up a video on the internet, the world's biggest viewing platform, you lose a substantial amount of right to be offended by some of the comments that precede. That's reality.[/quote]

I agree but, there is a responsibility to act with professionalism and decorum when talking about another bass player on a bass playing forum. Im not for censorship but the EBMM forum had a bout of these threads and they have clamped down on it with removal of the thread immediately and punitive measure employed.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1096257' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:52 PM']It says he is an innovative player on his website? I think he will find that when i was 10 and handed a guitar i too was making lots of twangy sounds and playing nothing that makes musical sense. So innovative he is not...... now show me the drummer jokes thread, iv got some great ones[/quote]

He's an innovative player in as much as he sometimes plays a bass with more than four strings. Apparently that makes you an innovator. Not sure how that works. :) I might convince myself I was an innovative artist if I decided to paint a picture using three paintbrushes shoved up my arse - wouldn't matter if the picture was still sh*t.

What this boils down to is that he's a very average player with an undeservedly huge ego. If his missives stated, "trying my best to be the best player I can be", instead of "I'm the lovechild of Marcus Miller and Jaco, all kneel and praise me" then nobody would have a problem. Humility doesn't seem to be in his "innovative" repertoire.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096306' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:38 PM']I am simply at a loss to understand the barrage of negative comment relating to this guys playing.[/quote]

Read my posts again.

It's his attitude, not his playing. Have you watched his videos and read all his responses on the TB thread?

It is completely wrong to ridicule somebody because they aren't proficient on any instrument (or in any hobby for that matter), however somebody who automatically assumes greatness and superiority is heading for a fall, no mater how good they are/aren't at whatever they are claiming to be amazing at.

Are you seriously saying you have read his posts/watched the videos and you don't think he comes across as an arrogant berk who is totally unaware of his lack of ability?

[size=1]

EDITED for unfinished sentence. Sorry but my keyboard has fluff in it, it hasn't been set up in a year and the keys are worn, also i've been using my new Logitech keyboard as it's so amazing, makes me develop more as i type. Could do with a new caps lock key though, might trade my sword of desire for one.... Praise the lawd!!![/size]

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='cd_david' post='1096334' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:51 PM']I agree but, there is a responsibility to act with professionalism and decorum when talking about another bass player on a bass playing forum. Im not for censorship but the EBMM forum had a bout of these threads and they have clamped down on it with removal of the thread immediately and punitive measure employed.[/quote]
An important distinction to make is that this isn't a novice player. As has been mentioned, there's an attitude at work here, and as such he has to take a bit of ribbing.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that it isn't an elaborate wind-up.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1096337' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:55 PM']Are you seriously saying you have read his posts/watched the videos and you don't think he comes across as an arrogant berk who is totally unaware of his lack of ability?[/quote]

No I haven't,

The reason I haven't is because I wasn't that enamoured with his music so i didn't look any further. I also didn't want to start slagging him off as a person or a player, and Im not saying you did either, all I am concerned about is the way people in the thread are happy to belittle him or his playing for nothing other than self amusement.

So far i think 2 people have offered constructive criticisms, the rest are, well lets not start again.

Edited by LeoFender

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096353' date='Jan 20 2011, 02:07 PM']And so is everyone else, I am not defending this guy, I am objecting to the use of public ridicule for amusement.[/quote]
Uh.. OK.

I can only take it that you've never publicly ridiculed anyone before, regardless of wether they were present or even aware of it.

If that's the case, I salute you. You're a saint.

...although it does feel a bit wrong disagreeing with Leo Fender. Never saw that coming.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1096341' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:58 PM']An important distinction to make is that this isn't a novice player. As has been mentioned, there's an attitude at work here, and as such he has to take a bit of ribbing.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that it isn't an elaborate wind-up.[/quote]

You are possibly right in the wind up theory.

My comment regarding the EBMM site though is based on Sterling Balls dictate that any negativity like this thread reflects very badly on his company, I know we are not a company but we are a profession.

[quote name='cd_david' post='1096360' date='Jan 20 2011, 02:11 PM']My comment regarding the EBMM site though is based on Sterling Balls dictate that any negativity like this thread reflects very badly on his company, I know we are not a company but we are a profession.[/quote]
You know me, and I hope you'd agree that I don't really criticise people's abilities (glass houses, throwing stones, etc.). My posting record on BC will reflect that.

This chap has set himself for criticism from some people, and it doesn't suprise me that he's become a bit of a target.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1096357' date='Jan 20 2011, 02:09 PM']Uh.. OK.

I can only take it that you've never publicly ridiculed anyone before, regardless of wether they were present or even aware of it.

If that's the case, I salute you. You're a saint.

...although it does feel a bit wrong disagreeing with Leo Fender. Never saw that coming.[/quote]

Im sure I have but 2 wrongs dont make a right.

Im no saint, maybe occasionally biblical in my creations (yes blasphemy is a sin, there goes any chance of the halo now)

And I forgive you :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1096391' date='Jan 20 2011, 02:33 PM']What a thread! Arrogance, insults, appalling playing, missives from a long-dead bass manufacturing legend. All that is missing is some gratuitous sexism. So I wonder if this bass player has any Youtube clips?

[attachment=69448:bikinigirls05.jpg][/quote]

This thread definitely delivers. :)

[quote name='270degrees' post='1096395' date='Jan 20 2011, 02:35 PM']We're all hypocrites.
And that bloke is still sh**!!!
:) :) :lol:[/quote]

A busy dude, and no end to his talents.
He sure does live in the fast lane.

[url="http://jaxsn.com/actor/jaxsn_2010_acting_shots/jaxsn_2010_acting_shots.html"]http://jaxsn.com/actor/jaxsn_2010_acting_s...ting_shots.html[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1096416' date='Jan 20 2011, 02:52 PM']A busy dude, and no end to his talents.
He sure does live in the fast lane.

[url="http://jaxsn.com/actor/jaxsn_2010_acting_shots/jaxsn_2010_acting_shots.html"]http://jaxsn.com/actor/jaxsn_2010_acting_s...ting_shots.html[/url]

Garry[/quote]

Jaxsn's Acting Photo - 9

for the win :) :)