Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Affirma AFR - (withdrawn until further notice)

Spoombung

Time to move this remarkable, rare and beautiful bass on. Serial number is 233 - so it's one of the earliest.

The set-neck is maple with an ebony fingerboard. I'm not sure what the body wood is. It's extremely lightweight and feels exceptionally comfortable with a lovely slim neck and a body that just seems to melt into the player. The carving is quite extraordinary.

Controls feature a blend between the piezo pickup and the magnetic, plus noiseless bass and treble. I have noticed that the E-string sounds slightly weaker when using the piezo only. It could certainly do with a bit of a clean and some fresh strings.

I've seen prices vary wildly for this model; anywhere from £800 - £1400 as they are very collectable. I am selling for [b]£650[/b]. I also have the original case with it.

Edited by Spoombung

.. is that a 'flick'-de/tuner on the 'E'/Bridge?... and, if so, might that be anything to do with the E/piezo issue? I was interested in one of these in 'Swee Lee' music (Singapore) but missed-out (it wasn't there long!).

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1092800' date='Jan 17 2011, 05:31 PM']Re. the piezo - When you say a bit weaker on the E string, how bad are you talking and is it a case of requiring a replacement piezo?[/quote]

I think there are trim pots for each string on these, Might be worth having a look there before worrying too much :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1092800' date='Jan 17 2011, 05:31 PM']Re. the piezo - When you say a bit weaker on the E string, how bad are you talking and is it a case of requiring a replacement piezo?[/quote]

I don't think it requires a replacement but it is noticeably weaker. I will investigate Mythste's suspicion there are trim pots for the strings.

[quote name='eubassix' post='1092843' date='Jan 17 2011, 05:58 PM'].. is that a 'flick'-de/tuner on the 'E'/Bridge?... and, if so, might that be anything to do with the E/piezo issue? I was interested in one of these in 'Swee Lee' music (Singapore) but missed-out (it wasn't there long!).[/quote]

Yes, that is a D-tuner on the Bridge. I doubt whether it is related to the piezo though.

So this where Ibanez got the design for the Ergodyne EDA 900!!

[url="http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chrisguitars.com/iban-eda900-sn.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D399872&usg=__jwdnJEQVGv3p3NbLPV_ngsv31XM=&h=267&w=939&sz=56&hl=en&start=0&sig2=A9ZewDixKYE64yagejCnUw&zoom=1&tbnid=C-GYA0758PEs6M:&tbnh=55&tbnw=194&ei=a6A0TcqEHtWV4gbxmd39CQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dergodyne%2B900%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_en-GBGB371GB371%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D597%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=252&vpy=399&dur=1280&hovh=119&hovw=421&tx=267&ty=83&oei=a6A0TcqEHtWV4gbxmd39CQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0"]http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:14,s:0[/url]

Almost identical! Not quite in the same class though!!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='1093025' date='Jan 17 2011, 08:05 PM']So this who Ibanez stole the design for the Ergodyne EDA 900 from!!

Almost identical! Not quite in the same class though!![/quote]

Yes, although I would call it an economic 'evolution' born out of necessity rather than any kind of appropriation you're suggesting. There were only around a thousand of the original hand-crafted wooden ones made around the Spuler design (like mine). All featured exotic, expensive woods, quality parts and took longer than usual to make because of the carving and set neck. I understand they became too expensive to be viable and the Ergodyne, to which you refer, was meant as a cheap, luthite replacement. The originals are in big demand and have become collectable.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1093038' date='Jan 17 2011, 08:13 PM']Yes, although I would call it an economic 'evolution' born out of necessity rather than any kind of appropriation you're suggesting. There were only around a thousand of the original hand-crafted wooden ones made around the Spuler design (like mine). All featured exotic, expensive woods, quality parts and took longer than usual to make because of the carving and set neck. I understand they became too expensive to be viable and the Ergodyne, to which you refer, was meant as a cheap, luthite replacement. The originals are in big demand and have become collectable.[/quote]

I can see why! I bought an EDA905 as my first venture in the joys of five strings. Certainly an interesting beast, but I'm sure a [b][i]very[/i] [/b]pale imitation!

I've had a look inside the control panel and the 4 strings do indeed have trim pots and can be adjusted individually. I have balanced the levels now. The output from the piezos is not as strong as the magnetic pickup which seems to be a feature of these basses (I've read on Talkbass, anyway).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1094137' date='Jan 18 2011, 05:41 PM']I'm sure it is a type of walnut but iirc the wood was actually saman (spelling may not be spot on). I've still got an old USA Bass Guitar magazine with the original review somewhere! :)[/quote]

It looks like a walnut (a-204 model) Maple were a-304/305 Saman a-104/105

Edited by walplayer