Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Affirma AFR - (withdrawn until further notice)

Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1093139' date='Jan 17 2011, 09:23 PM']I've had a look inside the control panel and the 4 strings do indeed have trim pots and can be adjusted individually. I have balanced the levels now. The output from the piezos is not as strong as the magnetic pickup which seems to be a feature of these basses (I've read on Talkbass, anyway).[/quote]

The ergodyne was the same... not as loud/strong, but an interesting, useable tonal quality also when mixed with the main magnetic pickup..

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1094137' date='Jan 18 2011, 05:41 PM']I'm sure it is a type of walnut but iirc the wood was actually saman (spelling may not be spot on). I've still got an old USA Bass Guitar magazine with the original review somewhere! :)[/quote]
Saman is usually categorised as a type of mahogany, sourced mostly from South American and the Malay Peninsula, musch coming from Philippines. The AFR was initially available in saman, or walnut, or maple.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1094331' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:08 PM']Saman is usually categorised as a type of mahogany, sourced mostly from South American and the Malay Peninsula, musch coming from Philippines. The AFR was initially available in saman, or walnut, or maple.[/quote]

It has a very tight grain like mahogany but has some of the broader patterns seen in Walnut... so perhaps it is Saman?

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1094347' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:16 PM']It has a very tight grain like mahogany but has some of the broader patterns seen in Walnut... so perhaps it is Saman?[/quote]
Ibanez did use saman for various premium models in the 90s . In addition to the AFR the high-end Soundgear models (SR5000 and SR5005 rings a bell) were manufactured using saman sourced from Philippines.

Well, it looks like saman to me.
I had a 5 strings AFR for sale few months ago.
Walnut is way darker than saman and less veined.
The only way to know if you have issues with the output of the piezo pickups is to turn them to maximum volume with the trimmer and then listen separately to each string.
If there is a difference in volume among strings , then you have a defective piezo pickup.
Can this be solved ?
Yes, it can and it's not too expensive.
The output of the piezo pickups at maximum volume is only a bit lower than magnetic pickup's.
Anyway great basses for the price, I'll buy one and probably replace the whole piezo system including the preamp :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi kids, hope you all don't mind a guitar muppett joining your collective. i'm a 7 and 8 string guitarist and became an honorary bassist playing in some of my guitar students' bands and projects. i fell in love with bass and now i proudly own 3 of these lovely Affirmas... a 5 string with a 2 pc Flamed Maple body, another 5 string with a 2 pc Saman body which looks quite Koa like, and a 4 string with a 1(!) pc Saman body (quite low serial number too, maybe why the 1 pc body?). all 3 are fretted. i'm always on the lookout for another, like a Walnut 5 and esp a Walnut fretless after having a ham-fisted play on Michael Manring's instruments. i'd also be keen to find a WAL 4 or 5 so i can pretend to be Justin Chancellor while i play along to TooL songs just, for the craic of it.

anyway, to answer the above quetion, it does look almost equally like Bubinga and Walnut. but when you add in Ibanez's serial production mindset, the obvious answer must be Walnut. they only made AFRs in 3 body wood types, which you all already know are: Flamed Maple, Walnut and Saman. i have a number Koa instruments, which vary wildly in colour, grain and texture. so it would seem sensible, that other species like Walnut would vary too. like this 1, it does look Bubinga-y. but looks even more like it could have been carved out of the same Walnut board as my Schecter CS-1 guitar. depends where and when the Walnut was harvested too, i suppose. English Walnut, much beloved by Jaguar dashboard makers or Californian Black Walnut? or a Far Eastern locally sourced variation? well, there's about 100's varieties of Ebony, so take your pick. this 1's Walnut i reckon. and i wish i'd bought it...tsk! sam

addendum to last post...you guys should know that after some years out of the music industry, Rolf Spuler is back and building amazing instruments, including the spectacular Paradis "acoustic" guitar, and his basses with compound headstocks.
i chatted with him at the NAMM show in Anaheim a couple of years ago. be sure to check out Jerry Auerswald's work at www.auerswald-instruments.com and Michael Spalt who has moved from LA back to Vienna to team up with Andreas Neubauer and the infamous Thomas Nordegg to form Wien Gitarren Manufaktur...

• 3 weeks later...

Lot's of interest, lots of chat, lots of technical info exchanged... but it's [i]still[/i] here!

Final reduction to [b]£650[/b] as I do think the E piezo is a little weaker than the rest and it may need some attention. You can get around this by balancing all the piezos equally but it does mean a reduction in piezo output.

hi, i was going to buy this from previous chat a few months back as and when it came available. unfortunately i am no longer able to lay my hands on the funds now but i am pretty sure you would get a better price than 650 on feebay owing to the rarity and sheer beauty of these basses. its a lot of bass for the money and the design is to die for. really love the alan cringean design you got him to make from this bass. really intrigued as to how the piezo nut sounds? i have never heard of it being done before. bump

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...