Why become a member? ×

Marlin combo bass amps

iconic

[quote name='TimR' post='1089994' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:23 PM']I still have a Marlin Sidewinder bass. I ripped out the frets using screwdriver and pliers and filled the slots (and gouges) with polyfilla. Sounds a lot nicer than you would expect![/quote]

I had a Marlin Sidewinder strat type. It looked nice, but sounded awful!

IIRC Marlin were Korean made and imported through John Hornby Skewes back in the late 80's.
I think they later dumped that brand and concentrated on their 'Encore' stuff as their budget range.

Best thing I can say about them is that they quite often worked sometimes... :)

EDIT: There was also a range of kit manufactured by Carlsboro called Marlin as well but I don't remember much about it.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='TimR' post='1089994' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:23 PM']I still have a Marlin Sidewinder bass. I ripped out the frets using screwdriver and pliers and filled the slots (and gouges) with polyfilla. Sounds a lot nicer than you would expect![/quote]

My first bass was a Marlin Slammer which was a precision copy. I too defretted mine but by taking a huge flat file to it then had to get it done properly cos the fingerboard was now flat.

The chrome on all the hardware peeled off and I lost count of the number of cuts I got because of that.

An OK starter bass but the best thing I ever did was to bin it and get my Riverhead Jupiter when I was 16, conversely the stupidest thing I ever did was to sell that and I've been looking for one ever since.

I'm going to defend the lowly Marlin Sidewinder!
I picked up my silver Sidewinder along with a cheap 1x15 amp (Cougar) for £200
The output was fine, the tone lacked a bit of definition and character, but was acceptable, and the action was quite high, but it was a great starter bass. I managed to practice, gig and even record with it for about three years.

Maybe I lucked out with a good example

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1090620' date='Jan 15 2011, 04:47 PM']I'm going to defend the lowly Marlin Sidewinder!
The output was fine, the tone lacked a bit of definition and character, but was acceptable, and the action was quite high, but it was a great starter bass. I managed to practice, gig and even record with it for about three years.

Maybe I lucked out with a good example[/quote]

I'll put it this way... I took a chunk out of one of my fingers on the fretwire on this particular example :)

You definately lucked out! Or she REALLY DIDN'T!!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1090620' date='Jan 15 2011, 04:47 PM']I'm going to defend the lowly Marlin Sidewinder!

Maybe I lucked out with a good example[/quote]

Yes the action on mine was murderously high but once I ripped the frets and gave the truss rod some serious abuse it now tows the line (although a truss rod tweak is needed every now and then).

I aso rewired the switch and put in vol/vol control and took out the capactor on the vol control. Helped a lot as the two pickups are really badly matched.

I think it was around £100 in 1985 but it's nowhere near as good as what you can buy for around £200 now.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1090003' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:37 PM']I had a Marlin Sidewinder strat type. It looked nice, but sounded awful![/quote]
+1 to that.

Mine had a humbucker, but the thing squealed like a pig as soon as the gain was increased above minus six thousand on my amp

(not really, but you get the idea)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1089689' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:02 PM']Yep, these were EVERYWHERE in the late 80s. And not very good if memory serves me correctly.[/quote]

I seem to remember them being in most music shops. I always thought they looked alright but never even thought of buying one.

• 2 weeks later...