Why become a member? ×

Stanley Clarke on Rickenbacker!

molan

Well I never, Stan da Man playing a Ricky with really early Return to Forever:

I've seen him on a few different basses over the years but never spotted him on a Rick before.

There's a few of these vids on YT so maybe I've just missed them over the years!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1080325' date='Jan 6 2011, 07:46 PM']Thats a 4000 (ie, the one without the neck pickup). Shows (as usual) that its in the fingers not the instrument! Oh, and Barry, you do not need a Rick :)[/quote]

I have owned a pair of jetglo Ricks in the past, one was a late '73 (post checker binding) that was in need of a lot of TLC and a mid '80's that was immaculate.

Never really got on with them - doesn't mean that I still don't think it would be nice to own another, lol.

The 4000 would be more suited to that style as you could play fingerstyle with hand well forward and not worry about clanging off a neck PU. That said you could probably give Clarke a length of 2 by 4 with four wires nailed to it and he'd get some thing interesting out of it. :)

[quote name='KevB' post='1081030' date='Jan 7 2011, 01:35 PM']That said you could probably give Clarke a length of 2 by 4 with four wires nailed to it and he'd get some thing interesting out of it. :)[/quote]

That sounds like a mull-tie string Tea Chest Bass.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1080351' date='Jan 6 2011, 08:02 PM']Well, it's been a few years since I've seen that video! The Rick was perhaps unsurprisingly retired in favour of his Alembic basses![/quote]

Having had both (my 4000 was a '73), I found the 4000 was every bit a match sonically for my Alembics, although obviously not as well built. In fact my 4000 was incredibly versatile; it was also the most aggressive-sounding bass I've ever played in my life. Oh, and no, it didn't sound the same as just the back pickup on a 4001; no idea why. Set neck, wiring? Strung with light gauge strings through the right amp you could do a Stanley-esque thing no probs. It was actually a great slap bass too.

Yes, I recall an interview with Stanley where mentioned the Rickenbacker and how it was swiftly retired after he got into Alembic basses. Mind you, thats only natural. The Alembic fretless I used to have is still the best fretless I've ever played, it was class.

On another Stanley related note, I'm just listening to "The Toys of Men" because I haven't had it out of the cupboard in a while. Stan's bass solo at the start of the "God Light" section of the title track must be one of the greatest bass solos of all time.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082300' date='Jan 8 2011, 04:57 PM']Yes, I recall an interview with Stanley where mentioned the Rickenbacker and how it was swiftly retired after he got into Alembic basses. Mind you, thats only natural.[/quote]

I guess that depends on who you are. :) My main Rick has outlasted - and will continue to outlast - every other bass I've ever owned, including my 2 Alembics (which I also loved BTW). Best bass I've ever owned? My old Rick (not the 4000 BTW, that was 3rd). 2nd best bass I've ever owned? My custom-built Alembic Triple Omega, sadly no longer with me. FWIW Ricks and Alembics are my favourite basses.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1082798' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:08 AM']Well, if you've been there and done it the most important thing is that you keep hold of the bass thats right for you![/quote]

Truer words were never spoken. :) Wish I could've kept my Triple O though.....