Why become a member? ×

did this walking bass line for someone im teaching

greyparrot

This is an observation NOT a criticism but have you considered adapting to a one finger one fret approach? During that clip there are times when you do play OFOF but then you swap back to that alternate little/ring finger alternate fingering (I'm sure there's a technical term for it but I don't know of one :) ). JUST an observation! :)

People often mock the fact we only play one note at a time but that kind of playing just sets that rhythm so well. While everyone else stays at the same pace you are able to speed things up and slow them down just by playing two or four notes to the bar. Love it.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1075247' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:06 PM']gotcha[/quote]

hi chapsssssssss i know where you mean on the 1-5 thing yeah? you are quite right and i did used to do that still can, and do sometimes, and u are right to pick me out on it, like driving a car you learn the right way then pick up shortcuts, but i will put that right to her about the one finger fret thing. Also to the chap above above! very true, that what i wanted to demonstrate to her how from changing rythams and notes you can change the whole feel of a song. Bass is awesome, a very powerful instument in music. Like a good person, they are not missed till its gone. :-)

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1075147' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:39 AM']I'm certainlly more impressed with that than a load of machine gun slap playing! :)[/quote]

that sort of thing is real bass playing for what a bass is for, how rubbish would it be to funk slap a bassline like that, but many funk slap bass lines can be replaced by finger bass lines. while of course slap is bass guitar, and i love it too, and i use it often, it is not really what bass is about bout another dynamic to an amazing instrument . Thanks mate. :-)

I've got to say Greyparrot, I think that's fantastic!

I'm a beginner and I understood about as far as the root/5th, but when you starting doing what to me sounded like R/5, but moving up & down the neck (as if pumping a Remington shotgun), I lost it, sadly!

Just up my street music-wise though: I'd love to be able to play like that one day. Great sound, too.

Thanks very much.

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' post='1075625' date='Jan 2 2011, 07:24 PM']I've got to say Greyparrot, I think that's fantastic!

I'm a beginner and I understood about as far as the root/5th, but when you starting doing what to me sounded like R/5, but moving up & down the neck (as if pumping a Remington shotgun), I lost it, sadly!

Just up my street music-wise though: I'd love to be able to play like that one day. Great sound, too.

Thanks very much.[/quote]
Have you found this on BC yet? A lot of members rate MM's boot camp.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1075364' date='Jan 2 2011, 03:09 PM']that sort of thing is real bass playing for what a bass is for, how rubbish would it be to funk slap a bassline like that, but many funk slap bass lines can be replaced by finger bass lines. while of course slap is bass guitar, and i love it too, and i use it often, it is not really what bass is about bout another dynamic to an amazing instrument . Thanks mate. :-)[/quote]

:)

[quote name='BassBus' post='1075238' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:01 PM']People often mock the fact we only play one note at a time but that kind of playing just sets that rhythm so well. While everyone else stays at the same pace you are able to speed things up and slow them down just by playing two or four notes to the bar. Love it.[/quote]
^^This^^

There's all manner of fun to be had in the Country and R 'n' R genres with the humble R-3-5. Turn it around, drop one out, repeat bits, half time, double time, walk it up the neck bouncing it off an open etc. etc.

Greyparrot... what's the source for the track in your OP? It's not the Sun Sessions stuff (that one's Bill Black keeping a pretty strict R-5). Great tune, thanks for the heads up :)

It'd be handy if you could take to posting a YTube link to the source as well as embedding your take.

REDLAWMAN. At the risk of threadjacking, my ongoing [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97180"]R 'n' R tab/notation[/url] project may be of some use to you.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='BassBus' post='1075238' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:01 PM']People often mock the fact we only play one note at a time[/quote]

What people? :)
Not Musicians, well not Violin players or Viola players, Cellists, Trumpet players, Trombonists, French Horn players, Tuba's,
Alto, Tenor, Soprano Saxophones, Bassoon, Oboe, Cor Anglais, English horn, Wagner Horn players.:)
I presume you mean Saturday afternoon in the shop Guitar players [owners].

But i get your drift.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1075707' date='Jan 2 2011, 08:52 PM']What people? :)
Not Musicians, well not Violin players or Viola players, Cellists, Trumpet players, Trombonists, French Horn players, Tuba's,
Alto, Tenor, Soprano Saxophones, Bassoon, Oboe, Cor Anglais, English horn, Wagner Horn players.:)
I presume you mean Saturday afternoon in the shop Guitar players [owners].

But i get your drift.

Garry[/quote]

Hi peeps. glad you are enjoying that vid and its helping! to the chap that would like to learn this sort of playing, let me know if i can make a vid for you that may help you move forward in some way? maybe make it more rock n roll rather than jazzy? to the op heres the track i used from you tube. IM a bit fan of TCB band and this is James Burton from it. Man i would have loved to have been at this gig.

and glad your likeing this :-)

Marvin: not sure what you mean by MM's Bootcamp- did you mean to post a link?

Thanks Pete; I've checked it out and there's some really helpful stuff there. Not sure what Tux & Guitar Pro are (PC software, I presume), but great material.

Apologies Greyparrot for thread-jacking!

[quote name='redstriper' post='1075574' date='Jan 2 2011, 06:34 PM']What kind of strings are those?
The E looks different to the others.[/quote]

well spotted! they are a rotosound set made up but far too light for me. They do sound nice and growly though, and been on there about 2 months and played everryday. Thought id try light strings, but i don't like them, need something like 45-105's they are 40-95. Next set will be DR low riders.

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' post='1076073' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:45 AM']Marvin: not sure what you mean by MM's Bootcamp- did you mean to post a link?

Thanks Pete; I've checked it out and there's some really helpful stuff there. Not sure what Tux & Guitar Pro are (PC software, I presume), but great material.

Apologies Greyparrot for thread-jacking![/quote]

not at all,, like i said if you want me to do another vid, maybe without music, just some walking bass lines, let me know. ;-)

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1076083' date='Jan 3 2011, 10:08 AM']What's not to like? JB is one of the all-time greats.

Seen this?

[/quote]

thats just great! did Chet not play the guitar part on elvis's guitar man track? was playing that the other day on the upright bass. Real nice and that a root 5 but theres a real nice bit where the bass goes in unison with the guitar. I tell u there are some real great things in rock n roll and country playing.