Why become a member? ×

New Warwicks for 2008

stacedabass

hey has anyone seen the new lines of warwicks for 2008? they now have re made the nobby meidel model and introduced a classic looking hollowbody, would like to try that one . Have a gander....

[url="http://www.warwick.de"]http://www.warwick.de[/url]

Edited by stacedabass

If you wanted to stand that headless on its end it would rest against the tuners! And I don't like that brass strap attachment and there seems to be too much paraphernalia for pick players to catch their sleeves on and and and and

Steinberger got it right and that bass is just a mess.

awwwww.....I always liked the Nobby...reminded me of those old days when the Steinberger was scary and new, and everyone was cutting the heads off their normal basses to look trendy. I must be getting old. Really old. I still quite like the Nobby....but they could've improved it a bit (I guess they don't want another copyright fight with Mr NS?)

BB

Love the look of the LX's. Not fussed about the hollowbody. The $$ is ..... well exactly the same of the current 5 string, but with an extra string (profound, I know!!). The headless does absolutely nothing for me in any way whatsoever. Andy there endeth my two-penneth!

Should the header not read "Ltd Edition 2008 - January's lot,...... soon to be followed by some February Ltd Editions then the March Ltd Editions, then the ...."? You get the drift. You have to admit, Warwick are rather partial to a Ltd Ed or two!

Bugger the Warwicks ....

Who's the spotty Kitty in your avatar? and has the dame with it got a screw loose?

or has the cheetah been out on the pop the night before!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
__

PS the headless is hideous the new LX is nice, as is the $$, ::: the semi? - Every body jumping on the band waggon? I'm sure it plays well but are we not getting a tad swamped by new stuff?

Just to play devils advocate, even for a moment, I quite like the look of the headless model. However, the [i]instant[/i] you start to look at the design you realise how totally impractical it is. How on earth is it supposed to stand up without knocking the tuners out of position, and your strings out of tune with them? Even if they were locking, who wants their bass resting entirely on their tuning heads?

I guess you could always hang it by its... oh wait... bugger

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='123206' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:52 PM']Just to play devils advocate, even for a moment, I quite like the look of the headless model. However, the [i]instant[/i] you start to look at the design you realise how totally impractical it is. How on earth is it supposed to stand up without knocking the tuners out of position, and your strings out of tune with them? Even if they were locking, who wants their bass resting entirely on their tuning heads?[/quote]
To quote from the4 specifications (you did all read the specifications, didn't you?):

"Including Warwick "User Kit", 1 extra EMP string set, 1 Ltd. Edition Signature Sheet, 1 Body Chest Bow, 1 Bass stand"

The words "bass" and "stand" may provide a clue. As there's some sort of brass socket right on the midline of the body at the end between the tuners, possibly said bass stand consists of a short stick on a base, which plugs into said socket in a Freudian fashion. I initially wondered if it was so you could emulate the Dean Pace fretless-onna-stick with it.

I must say, when I first saw the Nobby (or photos of it, anyway), years ago, it struck me that it was an ingenious way of minimising the need for special parts. Trouble is, as Warwick are doing a reissue, they can't really rework it to reduce the splay on the tuners and inset them into the body (like more spaced-out Steinberger ones), or do anything about that horrible sticky-out strap bar.

Perhaps it's time they did a headless Thumb, like they originally intended...

Oddly, I can't see links to any basses other than the rather nice-looking Star Bass (2 links to that), the Nobby, and the Streamer LX (2 links to that), although there's some 6-strings on the photo at the top that I assume there should be links to too.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='123206' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:52 PM']How on earth is it supposed to stand up without knocking the tuners out of position, and your strings out of tune with them?[/quote]

I may be wrong ( often am but don't tell the wife :) ) but i think the original was supplied with a custom stand, oh i love the semi, even with my new found love of Warwick's i still think i would go for a Guild starfire though.

[quote]To quote from the4 specifications (you did all read the specifications, didn't you?):

"Including Warwick "User Kit", 1 extra EMP string set, 1 Ltd. Edition Signature Sheet, 1 Body Chest Bow, 1 Bass stand"

The words "bass" and "stand" may provide a clue. As there's some sort of brass socket right on the midline of the body at the end between the tuners, possibly said bass stand consists of a short stick on a base, which plugs into said socket in a Freudian fashion. I initially wondered if it was so you could emulate the Dean Pace fretless-onna-stick with it.[/quote]

I imagined there would be a stand, and I imagined that a stand would be the most suitable means for it to stand upright. But for the life of me I can't imagine a stand that has support from below that wouldn't interfere with the tuners or wouldn't leave the bass somewhat precariously balanced. Perhaps if there were two members to support it that contacted the periphery of the heel of the bass, although that still leaves it open to being easily knocked over (IMO).

[quote]I may be wrong ( often am but don't tell the wife ) but i think the original was supplied with a custom stand, oh i love the semi, even with my new found love of Warwick's i still think i would go for a Guild starfire though.[/quote]

What was the custom stand like? How did it work?

[quote]I may be wrong ( often am but don't tell the wife )[/quote]

Don't worry, I don't think acknowledging that we're often wrong will help our situation any, it seems the female species just generally adopts that viewpoint... :) though that is perhaps in light of the fact that they're always right.

Mark

[quote name='The Burpster' post='123136' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:07 PM']Bugger the Warwicks ....

Who's the spotty Kitty in your avatar? and has the dame with it got a screw loose?

or has the cheetah been out on the pop the night before![/quote]

Can't remember the kitty's name, he hadn't been out on the pop though. He was making the most of the mid-day sun and enjoying a head scratch whilst purring like a good'n. I kid you not!!