Why become a member? ×

New Lakland 51P

EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1072320' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:00 AM']

US only at the moment - read about them [url="http://www.lakland.com/44-51.htm"]here[/url].[/quote]

Unusual because I think that it works for all their other basses... but that headstock, for me at least, just doesn't work with that body...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1072321' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:03 AM']Unusual because I think that it works for all their other basses... but that headstock, for me at least, just doesn't work with that body...[/quote]

Ooooooooooo no, it definitely works for me :)

Apart from the headstock, it looks as though they've ripped off the idea of the Fender Mike Dirnt. Which, having owned one, isn't a bad thing to do.

[quote name='tonyf' post='1072328' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:07 AM']Ooooooooooo no, it definitely works for me :)

Apart from the headstock, it looks as though they've ripped off the idea of the Fender Mike Dirnt. Which, having owned one, isn't a bad thing to do.[/quote]
I think the first (blonde translucent) in the picture is a 51 slab body with a single coil while the second (tobacco sunbust) is contoured with the split coil - like the Mike Dirnt. Personally I think I'd want the contours and the single coil. I imagine as it's a US they would do that if you asked.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1072321' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:03 AM']Unusual because I think that it works for all their other basses... but that headstock, for me at least, just doesn't work with that body...[/quote]
It's usually the bridge that gets the complaints. Oh wait a minute ...

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1072337' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:10 AM']The bridge looks so wrong :)[/quote]

[quote name='tonyf' post='1072342' date='Dec 30 2010, 12:13 AM']Again, nooooooooooooooooooo! I love the oval bridge of the Laklands! :)[/quote]
It's like - we'll make it look just like Leo's 60 year old design, 'cos we can't beat it - but we'll stick with our quirky head & that stupid bridge :)

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1072447' date='Dec 30 2010, 09:02 AM']I have to agree that the bridge just dont look right, but I remember saying that about the first Lakland Jazz I owned![/quote]
I can't see why they chose to fit a pick up cover when the matching bridge cover is never going to fit over that oval blob :) Why?

Oh dear, I looked at their price list :lol: :) [size=3]3,800.00 USD = 2,452.22 GBP [/size]:D

Edited by KiOgon

I agree, I'd prefer the 'telecaster' style headstock any day

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1072454' date='Dec 30 2010, 09:13 AM']I can't see why they chose to fit a pick up cover when the matching bridge cover is never going to fit over that oval blob :) Why?

Oh dear, I looked at their price list :lol: :) [size=3]3,800.00 USD = 2,452.22 GBP [/size]:D[/quote]
That's MSRP. Street price would be more like $3,000. Still best to wait for the Skyline version.

I agree on the pick up cover but it will be optional.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1072492' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:02 AM']That's MSRP. Street price would be more like $3,000. Still best to wait for the Skyline version.[/quote]
I'm not waiting for anything, just shocked at the price, I'm more than happy with my Fender MiJ '51 P :lol:

Still I don't suppose they're expecting to sell many :D :) :)

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1072471' date='Dec 30 2010, 09:26 AM']I agree, I'd prefer the 'telecaster' style headstock any day[/quote]

Indeed! Not that I am a fan of this particular P bass shape anyway!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='machinehead' post='1072672' date='Dec 30 2010, 01:10 PM']I'm trying to think of a reason why someone would buy the Lakland 51 P over a Fender MIJ 51 P which is more true to the original look - especially at the Lakland price. :)

Each to their own though.

Frank.[/quote]
At US prices I wouldn't buy one either but some possible reasons for choosing one over the MIJ are:

(1) More money than sense.
(2) Better materials and build quality - e.g. quarter-sawn neck and graphite reinforcement bars.
(3) Available in eighteen different colours - and I guess they'd do any colour you wanted if you asked.
(4) Available with maple or rosewood fingerboard.
(5) Available fretted, lined fretless, or unlined fretless.
(6) Available in three different nut widths (1.5", 1.625", 1.75").
(7) Available with Swamp Ash or Alder body.
(8) Choice of slab or contoured body.
(9) Choice of single coil or split coil pickups.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1072746' date='Dec 30 2010, 02:21 PM']At US prices I wouldn't buy one either but some possible reasons for choosing one over the MIJ are:

(1) More money than sense.
(2) Better materials and build quality - e.g. quarter-sawn neck and graphite reinforcement bars.
(3) Available in eighteen different colours - and I guess they'd do any colour you wanted if you asked.
(4) Available with maple or rosewood fingerboard.
(5) Available fretted, lined fretless, or unlined fretless.
(6) Available in three different nut widths (1.5", 1.625", 1.75").
(7) Available with Swamp Ash or Alder body.
(8) Choice of slab or contoured body.
(9) Choice of single coil or split coil pickups.[/quote]

Fair enough. Never thought of it like that. I am only refering to the 51 P though.

But even if you have as huge a range of choices as you do have, the price difference is also really huge plus the cost of offering those options doesn't mean anything to the buyer. He just buys a bass of his choice. The Lakland brand name adds value for lots of buyers too which is fine.

I'm not actually knocking them. I am certain they will sell in droves, but I wouldn't pay that money for what is essentially a very simple and basic instrument.

Frank.