Why become a member? ×

What Are You Practising?

Pete Academy

Anthony Jackson's bass lines on Chaka Khan's 'Heed the Warning' from the album 'What Cha Gonna Do For Me'. The rest of my band are questioning my taste, but the combination of Steve Ferrone on kit and Jackson on bass duties are proving to be some of the best rhythm section work I have ever heard on record. I really am beginning to think Anthony Jackson is just probably the best bass player alive.

Left/right hand exercises and fretboard learning: extended arpegios, scales....

Getting my slap technique up to speed.

Also, learning a few basslines from this band I've just discovered, Imperial State Electric:

Yeah, it's only rock'n roll but they have really good basslines. Their album "Imperial State Electric" is great.

At the Moment, im learning Time Stands Still by Rush. Just doing it for my own enjoyment no other reason.

Its a brilliant bass line, very simple in sound but at the same time challenging and just when i feel like im getting it, it all goes WROOOOOONNNNGGGGG AAAAAAARRRRGGHHH! dam chorus.

anyone else had problems with this song?

[quote name='hitchy64' post='1073227' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:30 PM']I'm trying to learn slap. Can't see me mastering this :)[/quote]
Trust me if i learned how to slap then anyone can slap. I cant actually remember how i learned it lol

Im only 17 aswell!!! My memory sucks

Not saying im particularly good at it but i can hold a tune. POW!!!

Nice thread - basschat is proving a very enjoyable place to browse around, especially stuck in an airport (New Orleans) with free wifi, intending to fly home. With all the music I've heard here this week, I can't wait to...

- play through the ~50 transcriptions Ive learnt already in the R&B Bass Masters book (nailed most of them, just a couple that were beyond me so far)
- practice Jamerson's part on Marvin Gate & Tammi Terrell's "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing"
- plan out sets of marlowedk riffs and exercises and start them
- pick another Jamerson transcription to learn (they seem to be getting easier thank God)
- check out tetrachords

1) The Jazz scale. (and improvising on it)
2) Getting clear ringing notes from the first five frets.
3) some Joy division riffs[b][size=4]*[/size][/b]

[b][size=4]*[/size] [/b]I have put Rotosound SM77 flats on my old Peavey Milestone Mk I, and seem (to my surprize) to be getting a good sonic approximation of Hooky's Joy Division bass lines.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1071201' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:39 PM']I'm working on getting this line fluent and up to speed. Tricky bugger.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jng_yZUc4F0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jng_yZUc4F0[/url][/quote]

Two-five-one movements and Three-six-two-five-one movements in different keys and in different fingering combinations of 1-3-5, 1-5-3, adding the seventh, then 1-7, etc. I am dyslexic, which makes this either harder or easier. Also working with some Abersold CDs and books.

tg

I have got 50 or so songs to learn in 15 weeks for a big gig we have on.

At the moment I am going through Long Train Running, Lucky Man, Disco 2000, The Riverboat Song and Mr Brightside...

Believe it or not, I look forward to those easy 3 or 4 chord songs which I can learn in about 10 mintues!

i've very nearly finished working out the old mans back again by scott walker - my target for 2011 is to buy some flatwounds so i can make it sound more authentic (nice easy target! :) ). when i'm done i'll happily post what i've got up and i'm sure people can tell me where i've gone wrong :)