Why become a member? ×

The inevitable has happened(insurance issues)

Prime_BASS

I just got back in from a gig. It was a complete utter accident; my bass fell on the floor and the G string tunning peg has completely snapped.
I was told by a band mate we were covered by "band" insurance and it covers gear etc. Turns out they never got it, and the venue isn't liable since they told us in a contract we would need the insurance.

Now what?
Ernieball don't just sell replacements, so for a real deal I would have to send it off, no?
And who should be paying for this?

I fear myself....
(serves myself right properly)

They usually use Schallers that are MM branded so it you don't mind having a non MM one then just get a normal one. I'm sure WD music are bound to sell them separately

Failing that a complete set of Schallers may be cheaper than sending your broken tuner to EBMM and buying a replacement from them - they certainly insist on you sending the pickup if that's what you want to buy from them

I've probably got this wrong, but why can't you just buy a replacement tuner? A quick google suggests that the EBMM Stingray has Schaller BM tuners, and a thread I saw suggests that they can be bought from Warmoth. Here? [url="http://www.warmoth.com/Tuning-Machines-C208.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/Tuning-Machines-C208.aspx[/url]

That's in the US, but a quick google for a UK supplier came up with nothing. A better search may find somewhere though.

No?

Edit: OIC. MM branded tuners.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Ideally I would like a MM branded one, but falling that I'll just get a schaller BML.

I'm not to familiar with the structure of these, but it only really needs a new peg so if I can get inside and replace that bit, I get to keep the branded bits.

I'll be emailing strings and things though see if what they think.

Thanks for the advice.

Dont beleive all the hype about how terrible EBMM are and send them an email you never know they might surprise you?
In answer to your original question about insurance I think I speak for most of here when I say the rest of my band members would say "OOhh bugger that will cost [i]you [/i]a bit to get fixed". Lights and PA stuff tend to be more communal but instruments are always more personal IMO and If potential accidents worry you then you should take out your own cover that said unless I had something stolen or a rig set on fire I would bite the bullet and fix it myself for the cost and time to sort it out you could get it fixed in no time.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1069841' date='Dec 26 2010, 10:26 PM']I just got back in from a gig. It was a complete utter accident; my bass fell on the floor and the G string tunning peg has completely snapped.
I was told by a band mate we were covered by "band" insurance and it covers gear etc. Turns out they never got it, and the venue isn't liable since they told us in a contract we would need the insurance.

Now what?
Ernieball don't just sell replacements, so for a real deal I would have to send it off, no?

I fear myself....
(serves myself right properly)[/quote]Why would the venue be liable for your guitar falling on the floor?
Did it fall from a stand, did you drop it? Was it pushed onto the floor?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1069841' date='Dec 26 2010, 10:26 PM']........................It was a complete utter accident; ......................

I fear myself....
(serves myself right properly)[/quote]
Quite right too!
Any other type of claim is excatly what hammers up premiums on already expensive cover for those who DON'T claim against anything that moves.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1070203' date='Dec 27 2010, 03:39 PM']aye a think your footing the bill on this one Stephen. I wouldnt imagine a pub paying up! to tell you the truth im quite suprised you expect someone else to pay if it was your accident.[/quote]

It was stood on a colapsable one second I turned away next it was falling over, id had a pint an hour before so I wasn't hammered, or even tipsy enough to miss the stand or something.

My anger is that I was told we had "band" insurance (which would have covered gear if it was torched or stolen)and it turns out it we hadn't. So I feel a bit miss led. In my anger I justwanted someone to blame.

I'd definatly be more pissed if the neck snapped or something, or if it was considerablly more expensive bass.

Looks like I'm looking for a reversed schaller BML tuner in chrome, anyone?
And gear insurance aswell.

Lesson learned, the hard way.

I have a spare from a newish deluxe jazz, post a pic of the one you need it may well be the same. I know it is a shaller bml.

Or contact Lars Bunning who is the owner of schaller him self, he's great! I couldn't get hold of one of the other bml's different shape you need so he sent me through just a single one for a tenner!!!!! they are 30 to 40 squids from a shop!

Post a Pic first I will dig the one I have out tonight/ in fact I think I have two of them.

Edited by patch006

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1070696' date='Dec 28 2010, 12:55 AM']It was stood on a colapsable one second I turned away next it was falling over, id had a pint an hour before so I wasn't hammered, or even tipsy enough to miss the stand or something.

My anger is that I was told we had "band" insurance (which would have covered gear if it was torched or stolen)and it turns out it we hadn't. So I feel a bit miss led. In my anger I justwanted someone to blame.

I'd definatly be more pissed if the neck snapped or something, or if it was considerablly more expensive bass.

Looks like I'm looking for a reversed schaller BML tuner in chrome, anyone?
And gear insurance aswell.

Lesson learned, the hard way.[/quote]

Even if you had band insurance, its likely that the excess would be such that it wouldnt be worth a claim.

If I were in your shoes, I would investigate your own insurance, there are a number of pinned threads about this. Dont rely on other people taking care of it for you, decide what cover you want, or even if you think it is worth it, many people dont, and arrange your own. That way you will be in charge of your own destiny, and presumably you will have to pay for the insurance anyway whether its done as a band or as an individual.

Golden rule is to put the bass away in it's case the second you finish playing. Everyone is eager to get packed up and away that accidents happen.
Our drummer once dropped a drum case on one the keyboard players er, keyboards, and snapped one on the keys off. Very embarrasing silent moment where I thought the key player was actually going to kill him. All got sorted out though.