Why become a member? ×

Wizard Jazz bass pickups

just to add i have a pair of the hammers. I think they are really good, they do seem darker than the original mex pickups, and the chromes i have on my jazz really make the difference aswel. I am thinking i'll need to put a little bit more foam on the underneith as they arnt very close to the strings at all, further away than the originals anyway. But stil very loud pickups. Very happy with them :)

• 1 year later...

After reading all about Wizards and emailing Andy i ordered a set of 84's for my Squier CV Jazz. Just after that i read OTPJ's review of a custom set he got. These sounded closer to wha ti wanted so i emailed Andy about these. Unfortunately he missed the email and sent the 84's.
He did reply and asked me to give them a go, and if i didn't like them to send them back.
While i did think they made an improvement in some areas i felt they were a bit too dark and moody, so i emailed him. We agreed i would send them back and he would custom wind a set mid way between the 84's and 64's, at no extra cost other than postage.
They arrived two days after i sent the 84's back and im much happier with the tone, and very impressed with the service.

They certainly have more low end and kick than the stocks, and there is still some nice high end that i missed with the 84's.

Ive now got a MIA jazz that i really like the tone off, but at some point i will put the Wizards in and see who they sound on a decent bass ;-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='912802' date='Aug 2 2010, 02:04 PM']Strange... I would have expected the 64s to have more highs than the 84s...?

Good on Andy, though. He's a great guy.[/quote]

Yes, the 84's lacked too much whereas the 74s, being half way between the 2 had more high end but still with the thicker low end of the 84's.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='912768' date='Aug 2 2010, 01:31 PM']Ive now got a MIA jazz that i really like the tone off, but at some point i will put the Wizards in and see who they sound on a decent bass ;-)[/quote]

Be REALLY interested in this comparison. Hope you get round to it soon!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='912931' date='Aug 2 2010, 04:15 PM']Be REALLY interested in this comparison. Hope you get round to it soon![/quote]

I will definitely do it but cant promise it will be any time soon. I really like the MIA pups and im going through some QC issues with the bass at the moment so i need to get that all sorted out first.

What i could do is take the Wizards out of my Squier once i get the MIA sorted out and if anyone wanted to try them out i guess i could live without them for a month or so.

I expect ill be putting the Squier in for a de fret hopefully by the end of the month (more likely next month) so before it goes ill take the Wizards out.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1323365660' post='1462579']
I've had a 64 in the bridge position for the past 3 weeks and I've got to admit I find it a bit thin and tinny, unfortunately. In rehearsal it sounded very thin compared to another bass I had fitted with a Bartolini humbucker. I might have to swap it for an 84...
[/quote]
surely a single coil will normally be thiner and 'tinny' sounding compared to a humbucker?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1323454677' post='1463651']
surely a single coil will normally be thiner and 'tinny' sounding compared to a humbucker?
[/quote]

Yes, of course, but it's thinner and tinnier than the single coil and I had in there originally... which is obviously very disappointing.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1323636720' post='1465337']
I've just put Wizard 64s in my Jazz bitsa, and they sound great. Really nice traditional jazz tone. If you want something darker you might be better looking at the 84s or even some of the split coil jazz types like the Delano ones.
[/quote]

Yes, I think it's simply a case of making the wrong choice; I should have ordered the 84

You could also try asking Andy what he suggests. I ended up going for a set of 74s as i found the 84's a bit too dark and thick for my CV Jazz. I also had the 74's in my HW-one Jazz and although they sounded different in that bass they still made a nice improvement to the stock HW-one pups.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1184080645' post='29835']
Colour me interested...
[/quote]me too....great post

although I must say my Barts 9j4 which are now discontinued I think sound the nuts although the output is a bit week!
I love my Barts but I think I'm gonna try a 'Trad' in my 'P'

hope the wife won't mind... :gas:

• 8 months later...

I have had both. I liked the Wizard but find the Fender to be a bit more woody and traditional. The Wizard has a nice kick to it but with my 1212 cab already having a lot of low mid I found it a bit over powering sometimes.
To my ears the Fender, in my Squier give me a perfect classic P tone.