Why become a member? ×

Wizard Jazz bass pickups

(note: I wrote this review about 8 months ago, and I still stand by it.)

Hi all

My search for replacement pickups for my '73 J has come to an extremely successful conclusion.

I've had this bass for nearly a year, and I love it dearly. However, the lack of definition on the E string has always bothered me a bit, which I put down to the non-original pickups of questionable origin. The bridge pup was a bit weak, as was one of the poles on the neck pup.

When it came to swapping them out, I liked the idea of something slightly overwound, and I considered the likes of Fender's 60s CS, Fralin, Aero, etc. While I was looking into this, someone suggested I have a chat with Andy at Wizard Pickups in Scotland.

I believe Andy used to work for Kent Armstrong, and he started his own venture building and rewinding pickups when Kent moved back to the US.

I had a look at his website, and saw he had two 'stock' J offerings - the traditionally vintage 64s and the dirtier, overwound 84s. I emailed him and told him I prefer I prefer a warm, smooth tone with lots of bottom end and not too much in the way of sizzle, but I was concerned the 84s might be a little too dark for my liking. He suggested some custom winds, using the same wire as the 84s, with a few less turns and slightly longer magnets which increases the power, volume and presence.

So, I coughed up a perfectly reasonable £70 (no extra charge for custom winds) and waited...

...for a day! I placed the order on Thursday afternoon, and they arrived via registered post on Saturday morning. They're well packed in a funky little box, with black and white cloth wires.

I took them to my tech chap, who dropped them in (I'm an idiot with a soldering iron) and took it to a gig last night.

What a result! My J has been pushed into a different league. I'm a P-nut at heart, but my J now has an incredible thumpy punch with the neck solo'd. Open both pups up, and it's warm, smooth and growly. Every note is perfectly defined and even, right down to the E. It was the most fun I've had at a gig for a long time.

I can't recommend them enough, and as they cost significantly less than most of the alternatives out there, UK or EU-based folks looking for new pups should definitely have a chat with Andy to see what he can offer. He's made an old, tired Jazz (and it's owner) very happy!

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk"]Wizard Pickups[/url]

• 1 month later...

Anyone had experience of the 'Trad' Precision jobby??

Mine currently sports an SD QP which is a bit too much of a monster , the original 73 pup self destructed and I'm on the look out for something comfortingly vintage sounding

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='25533' date='Jul 1 2007, 09:32 AM']Anyone had experience of the 'Trad' Precision jobby??

Mine currently sports an SD QP which is a bit too much of a monster , the original 73 pup self destructed and I'm on the look out for something comfortingly vintage sounding[/quote]

I've just had a Wizard 15% overwound put into my '72 P. It sounds growly and deep without it being overkill. Fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of slightly overwound 5 string jazz pups in my warmoth. They sound great and the customer service is superb as well.
Wizard pups are definitely worth looking at as an option if you are wanting to change your pups.

[quote name='AussieBassman' post='30987' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:06 PM']what's the difference in tone between these pups and Bartolinis?[/quote]
I had a pair of Bart 59J1's in my bass before switching to the Wizards. I can only comment on the sound difference I noticed in this bass.

The Barts had a more vintage tone and were not as open sounding. The Wizards are very clear and a touch more modern sounding as well as being slightly more punchy.

For the price, it's worth getting a set to try.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

[quote name='Toasted' post='33609' date='Jul 18 2007, 01:54 PM']We have some great pickup manufacturers in this country, eh?

My guitarists use Bareknuckle... I wish those guys did a bass set.[/quote]

They do! They're not advertised on the website though. (I have B.K's in one of my g**tars,) Phone Tim, he will give you details, although AFAIK they only do P's & J's.

• 2 weeks later...

The barts in my Sei were rubbish- sounded great in my bedroom, loads of bass, nice strong mids and loads of smooth top- but got completely lost in a band context- bizarrely so

the wizards were an excellent buy- they turned it into a proper bass

it's the best jazz 5 I've played to date- but there's something about a jazz in a 5 string format that seems to be lacking over a 4- in every example I've tried.
I'd love to find a J5 that tonally matched a 4.

I've got some Wizards in my G&L Legcacy - Andy is a top bloke and he truly does make world class pickups. I've not tried his bass offerings but if they're half as good as the guitar pickups he makes, they'll be fantastic.

It's refreshing to have people lusting after UK-built products again - Bare Knuckle have done a fantastic job marketing their pickups and are well known, Wizard pickups are as good as Bare Knuckle and far better value too. Part of me is glad Andy is still 'small time' - it keeps the service personal, the quality top notch and the price sensible!

[quote name='paul, the' post='22603' date='Jun 24 2007, 11:23 AM']What sort of tone is he aiming for with his pups?
He doesn't do p/j?

:)
Or is it OK to just stick a single jazz with the p? £90, not too pricey.[/quote]

Andy does do a P/J set at £85.

Tempted to get a set for my Aerodyne.

[quote name='neilb' post='39289' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:15 PM']Andy does do a P/J set at £85.

Tempted to get a set for my Aerodyne.[/quote]

+1

I've been oooing and ahhing over either a set for my Aero, which needs a bump really, or getting a set of 84's for my VMJ.

Choices choices.

Just taken delivery of an 84 J. Replaces an old DiMarzio. Got it fitted, but I'm having to go out before I can solder it in - I'll now have to wait several hours before I can try it. Torture. :)

If it's anything like the transformation I got when Andy rewound the stock Shergold pup, I'm in for a treat. :huh: . Will report back later...

It would now appear to be later, so here's the upshot. Anyone remember the Python sketch with 'tinny' and 'woody' words? Well, my bass now uses only woody words.

There was a thin brittle brightness to the DiMarzio that previously occupied the slot, this has been replaced by a hint of lovely 'quackiness' that suits the character of a fretless bass. There's more meat on the bones, but none of the definition has been lost - it's clearer than ever but with bags more character.

Highly recommended - once again.

I really couldn't agree more with everyone, I've been using Andy for all my pickups on both guitars and basses for over a year now.. the service couldn't be better, he actually chats to you about what you want and knows what he is doing!! He even builds one offs if you want, the 7-string Extended Range Bass I built fir 05Ric has an invisible humbucker that Andy built from scratch using the most powerful magnets ever used on a pickup!! .. Oh.. and he designed Bareknuckle's entire starting range of pickups.. Tim is was just a marketing man who saw a great product and nabbed it.. and he charges twice as much as Andy! .. Anyway, I'm glad he's getting the recognition he deserves!

Ben
www.crimsonguitars.com

[quote name='Crimson Guitars' post='43205' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:40 AM']Oh.. and he designed Bareknuckle's entire starting range of pickups[/quote]

Really? That's interesting. Still, kudos to Bareknuckle - they've made quite an impact on the 'boutique' pickup buyers. Nice to be selling music hardware to the Americans for a change!