Why become a member? ×

Can I...

Gust0o

... Do this without any "crikey, I didn't intend that" style consequences.

Apart from adapting the nut, would the neck/tension be the only issue?
Does anyone already do this?

The rationale behind my thoughts being that the heavier gauge B would stand up better to playing attack than taking the E down - I'm tuning down, but finding the tuning wandering a little.

So, would using the lowest four strings from a 5 string set be a reasonable solution?

This could be silly, but asking is one of the most direct ways to learn :)

Edited by Gust0o

I guess you could string it BEAD and the nut might cope if you didn't go too heavy with the gauges.
I don't see it as a permenant solution unless you sort the nut and then you are commited.

Not something I would do, tho'... if you need a 5, you'll end up getting one.

If you play in bands with regular sets then you might be able to swap one bass for certain numbers but it isn't a depping solution, IMO...you'll never know where you are

It can be done no problem, as you say you'd need to sort the nut and be sure the truss rod works OK due to the extra tension. I'd watch out though if you have a skinny pencil neck bass, the tension could be too much for the truss rod to sort out; it won't snap the neck or anything daft (unless there's something seriously wrong with the neck anyway) but you may not be able to put the right amount of relief into the neck.

Failing that Warwick do a 4 string bass that is (iirc) built BEAD... is it the Darklord/Vampyre or something!

[quote name='charic' post='1068515' date='Dec 24 2010, 09:10 AM']Yeah... nice cheap bass that :D I thought it was tuned down to F# :)[/quote]

No idea about them really, not my bag but I'm sure they do a budget version of the top of the range so there may well be a Rockbass version or whatever. If they don't do a budget version then I don't see what the expensive BO version can have that any other Korean bass couldn't have. As for tuning... F# is lower than B what more could you want! :)

It does illustrate though that there's no reason for not slapping on lower strings as I don't think the necks are specially reinforced (no more so than a normal Warwick). :lol:

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1068420' date='Dec 24 2010, 12:26 AM']The rationale behind my thoughts being that the heavier gauge B would stand up better to playing attack than taking the E down - I'm tuning down, but finding the tuning wandering a little.

So, would using the lowest four strings from a 5 string set be a reasonable solution?[/quote]

What are you actually tuning down TO?

I keep an old 4-string bass (a beat-up 70's Ned Callan) strung BEAD and I've had no problems with the trussrod. As I understand it, this is because the heavier gauge is more-or-less offset by the lower tension due to the tuning.

Note that I chose to use a really beat-up bass for this ... just in case. :)

If you plan to use the BEAD strings from a fiver set, but then only tune down to D, then that would change the equation.

The Dark Lord's F# is a .175! :)

I did pick one up one in a music shop and tried (briefly) to tune it to standard pitch... I didn't get far before realising something was seriously amiss... :)

Seriously, though, does anyone find this a good bass sound?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57w9pdJPnY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57w9pdJPnY[/url]

Edited by Muzz

The BEAD strings from a 5- string set, used in BEAD tuning would usually put [i]less[/i] tension on the neck.

2 possible problems:
1. Nut slots might not accommodate the fatter strings - however if they're sufficiently 'V' shaped you might be okay.
2. The bridge saddle on the B string might not move far enough back to intonate well up the neck.

I've done it on a couple of basses in the past with no mods required.

(edit for clarity)

Edited by Adrenochrome

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1068531' date='Dec 24 2010, 09:46 AM']I keep an old 4-string bass (a beat-up 70's Ned Callan) strung BEAD and I've had no problems with the trussrod. As I understand it, this is because the heavier gauge is more-or-less offset by the lower tension due to the tuning.[/quote]

That is correct. The point of using different gauge strings is to achieve even tension across all the strings. Therefore BEAD should not be significantly different in terms of overall tension than EADG.

It would seem to me that an additional truss rod or other reinforcements to the neck are only a requirement when you add extra strings, which will increase the tension significantly.

Edit: or not, as Rich has found out!

Thinking about it, quite a lot of tolerance should be available in these necks, for people who use extra thick sets of strings, which could well be the equivalent in tension to an extra string.

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

[quote name='Muzz' post='1068540' date='Dec 24 2010, 09:56 AM']Seriously, though, does anyone find this a good bass sound?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57w9pdJPnY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57w9pdJPnY[/url][/quote]

Not played like that. But I still want one...
:)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1068540' date='Dec 24 2010, 09:56 AM']The Dark Lord's F# is a .175! :)

I did pick one up one in a music shop and tried (briefly) to tune it to standard pitch... I didn't get far before realising something was seriously amiss... :)

Seriously, though, does anyone find this a good bass sound?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57w9pdJPnY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57w9pdJPnY[/url][/quote]

Nope.. and I doubt it would be much better in context either..

[quote name='charic' post='1068582' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:31 AM']See I'll be tuning CGCF which with 5'er tuning is actually +1,+3,+3,+3 in semitones. So maybe I should just use a low B string tuned up a semitone then standard strings tuned down a tone... Confusing![/quote]

The B will be a little tight and the standard strings pretty flappy if you do this.

My approach to these problems would be a relatively light B string, a .125 for example, and some relatively heavy strings for the rest. Rotosound do a set, for example, with A=.85, D=.70, G=.50

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='1068593' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:43 AM']The B will be a little tight and the standard strings pretty flappy if you do this.

My approach to these problems would be a relatively light B string, a .125 for example, and some relatively heavy strings for the rest. Rotosound do a set, for example, with A=.85, D=.70, G=.50

Jennifer[/quote]

I use heavy strings anyway so I was thinking of getting a 5 string set and using the BADG strings

Tuning wise, we seem spread over B, C and D for the majority of numbers. I've yet to use the G string (so to speak), it just doesn't seem that we're ever going so high - or at least nothing I can't replicate up the fretboard on a lower string.

That Chris Revill video is an odd one. I think it would work in context (i.e. hid beneath three guitars and someone doing piq squeals) but it's never going to win fans as a solo effort.

I have a project bass, which I'm lazily piecing back together - hence the resurgence in my thoughts of this. I have a nice MTD 5'er, but it's a little [i]too nice[/i] for some occasions, hence the wondering if I could string this bass in suitable fashion to hit the low notes. Retuning my current 4'ers sees the tuning shift a little too much if I put too much attack in.

Sounds like a BEAD stringing might sort some of that, with minimal fuss. Appreciate it will be a novelty/not for everyone, but sounds like it would work - and has worked for others.

Great comments on here, have enjoyed poring through them - thanks all :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1068749' date='Dec 24 2010, 02:09 PM']... I think it would work in context (i.e. hid beneath three guitars and someone doing piq squeals) but it's never going to win fans as a solo effort.[/quote]

Frankly, I doubt it.

Beneath three guitars, I think that ... erm ... sound (for want of a better word) would barely be noticed. Just a dull rumble in the background.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1068543' date='Dec 24 2010, 02:00 AM']2. The bridge saddle on the B string might not move far enough back to intonate well up the neck.[/quote]
If this happens a taper core string may intonate in the saddle range available where a non taper core wouldn't.

Anthony Jackson used to string his Jazz BEAD before he got his first 6 string. It's an old school trick :)

As other posters have pointed out, it's doable with the right strings, and if you're confident with being able to file the nut slots appropriately and adjust the trussrod if required, then should be a breeze. I've done it on me Squier P-special without any real difficulties, and I would second the other comments regarding doing it on a cheaper bass to start with.

HTH, Ian

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1068504' date='Dec 24 2010, 08:50 AM']...
Failing that Warwick do a 4 string bass that is (iirc) built BEAD... is it the Darklord/Vampyre or something![/quote]

Warwick do both a BEAD bass and an F#BEA bass. The "Taranis" model (a variant of their Corvette) is tuned BEAD, and the "Dark Lord" (a Vampyre) is F#EAD. Both are, I think, discontinued and neither are common on the 2nd hand market.