Why become a member? ×

I Want This Bass!

merello

Many years ago aged 15 I made myself a tele bass body to use with a Columbus bass neck. Looked the part. Neck heavy and dive were undersatements. Some lead or depleted uranium at the body strap end would help the balance. Depends if you like your basses heavy or slightly radioactive. also DU is hard to obtain.

[quote name='3below' post='1063019' date='Dec 18 2010, 10:10 PM']Many years ago aged 15 I made myself a tele bass body to use with a Columbus bass neck. Looked the part. Neck heavy and dive were undersatements. Some lead or depleted uranium at the body strap end would help the balance. Depends if you like your basses heavy or slightly radioactive. also DU is hard to obtain.[/quote]

i know people.....

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1062887' date='Dec 18 2010, 08:18 PM']lead?[/quote]
fenders are big heavy lumps, about 2" thick. i doubt you'd have problems with dive, i'd be more worried about back injury! never fails to shock me whenever i pick up my friends jbass. i'm actually making a tele'esque bass right now that balances perfectly.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='merello' post='1063206' date='Dec 19 2010, 05:50 AM']Stunner - what's a Tber?[/quote]

TalkBass(er)

These are the guys responsible for that blue tele bass.

[url="http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/paislies.php"]http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/paislies.php[/url]

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1063055' date='Dec 18 2010, 11:04 PM']fenders are big heavy lumps, about 2" thick. i doubt you'd have problems with dive, i'd be more worried about back injury! never fails to shock me whenever i pick up my friends jbass. i'm actually making a tele'esque bass right now that balances perfectly.[/quote]

It's not just the weight of parts of the bass (body/neck/headstock+tuners etc) but with tele style basses (and LP for that matter) the positioning of the top/neck strap button has a massive effect on balance. My Bolin (LP single-cut style) overcomes this problem with a swivelling/extending strap arm.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1063055' date='Dec 18 2010, 11:04 PM']fenders are big heavy lumps, about 2" thick. i doubt you'd have problems with dive, i'd be more worried about back injury! never fails to shock me whenever i pick up my friends jbass. i'm actually making a tele'esque bass right now that balances perfectly.[/quote]

I'm not denying that some Fenders can be heavy lumps but the shape requirements of guitars and basses to balance are very, very different For starters, as a rough rule, the extended neck, mass of the headstock and tuners and the neck itself, complete with heavier truss rod all contribute to a moment that is going to be working against a balanced bass with a tele'esque body. This isn't theory, this is fact. Yes, the body of a bass is bigger so would go some way to equalise this inbalance but not enough to compensate for the moment caused by the aforementioned attibutes; a bass is not simply a bigger guitar, therefore it's no surprise that a telecaster shape bass will not balance in typical scenarios.

You will see that most bass designs are asymetrical with a top horn extending to over the twelth fret. Again, this isn't some accident... this is where a combination of trial and error through bass building history and physics has dictated where the strap pin has to be in order for the bass to balance. Take a look at pretty much every modern bass design and you'll see this attribute.

I would also question how you can tell that your tele'esque bass can balance before it has been loaded with all it's hardware and the like. If it is balanced, I am guessing that you have a ridiulously light neck compared to the weight of your body (never a good combination)... along with ultralight tuners and a heavy brass bridge. Even then, I wouldn't bet on it balancing. Hope it does though - afterall, the above basses are pretty shapes.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1063330' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:00 AM']Either someone with a chronic respiratory disease or a member of TalkBass..... I can't decided which. :)[/quote]
Sometimes both!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1063332' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:00 AM']TalkBass(er)

These are the guys responsible for that blue tele bass.

[url="http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/paislies.php"]http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/paislies.php[/url][/quote]
They're responsible for the one in the OP too, which is why I posted it. :)

Edited by Darkstrike