Why become a member? ×

Who has No Effects?

bubinga5

Yes, I must admit I have seen a fair share of cases where a bassist has used effects which have served only to highlight how bad they are. I've seen some particularly brutal mistakes with delay units, particularly where the delay sound is out of time or when huge glaring mistakes are repeated back fresh through the delay unit. Good grief! User discretion is advised! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063973' date='Dec 19 2010, 08:48 PM']Yes, I must admit I have seen a fair share of cases where a bassist has used effects which have served only to highlight how bad they are. I've seen some particularly brutal mistakes with delay units, particularly where the delay sound is out of time or when huge glaring mistakes are repeated back fresh through the delay unit. Good grief! User discretion is advised! :)[/quote]

Exactly, some efefcts actually require better playing than normal. As you said, cock up with delay and you've actually cocked up 4 or 5 times. Some fuzz's are really sensitive and require perfectly even touch, some analog octavers need to be played in a very specific way. I really don't get how people see effects only cover up lack of talent or skill.

Had my Line6 POD XT Live for a long time (the only one in country, as I assume, cuz soundtechs keep calling wanting to rent it for big gigs..), but sold it, because it didn't get enough serious use - I'd only use compressor and some Delay.. Or is it Reverb? ah whatever..

But now, as I'm using bass, tuned E-C, I'm after buying some octaver so that I would 'have' all those low notes, like D, and B, because I play in gospel band, and we're doing some Kirk Franklin tunes, where there's lots of low B action going on..

[quote name='Machines' post='1062545' date='Dec 18 2010, 03:18 PM']...for me there's no point in having an expensive bass if you're going to completely wipe it's natural tone out with effects,[/quote]

[b]Totally agree![/b]

The same goes for guitars; today our guitarist plugged a '76 Les Paul into a valve Marshall via a cheap Zoom effects thing... I soon had that off him :)

99.9% just plug and play. One band covers Hysteria, so I am trying to get a decent fuzzy sound for that. The other band does Song 2 so, again, trying to get a fuzzy sound for that, too. Probably end up with the same fuzzy sound, to save being complicated. That's about it. Now I have the effects pedal - a Zoom B2.1u - I think I'd quite like a little chorus from time to time - we do 'Waiting For an Alibi' and 'Sweet Emotion' and it seems right for that, but I haven't worked out how to do it to my liking yet.

Use plenty of different tones, but even those are from different finger/thumb styles (find I'm dampening with my palm more and more) and so are a variation on a theme and so I've never had the need nor desire to buy a pedal. Have a P with flats on for a Motown tribute. So far in over 30 years of playing I've always needed to sound like a bass guitar or, more recently with said tribute, an upright.

Although I always feel a little pang of disappointment if I go to see a band and pedals are there for the bass player that's not to say effects are a bad thing, love to see creativity going on and actually always interested to see what they do with them. Tempted by the Jazz with built in Korg for sale on here, but have no use for it.

Have a Hipshot, does that count?

Unless you count a smidge of drive from the SansAmp to thicken/warm up the stack a bit, then no effects for me either (having just sold the ODB-3 and BSW), and generally it's only if I use the full stack (4x10, 1x15, two 1x12's)

Can see myself using maybe a chorus with a fretless, if I get one, and I currently do have room for an OD/distortion of some description, but generally my signal chain is relatively uncluttered:

Bass > (tuner) > lead > head > cab

Job done.

Ian

Yes! in moderation...
My amp is not used for tone-shaping, so my 'normal' sound is a Marshall emulator with the gain only on 10% - this gives me some compression and a warm cleanish sound.
On top of that I also use a bit of chorus when I play my fretless, a higher gain setting for proper distortion, and an autowah.
I regard some distortion as being essential for playing Rage, Audioslave etc, and the autowah is needed for For Whom The Bell Tolls and Cochise. I also find these effects useful when I've done Muse songs on dep gigs.

Jon

I admit to owning a cheap Korg AX3B multi-effects unit - but I rarely use it and have never used effects of any kind when gigging or rehearsing with a band. The AX3B just gets brought out for a bit of fun every year or so and then goes back in its box again!

Back in the '80's I bought an Amdek (remember them?) octaver and compressor, but soon got bored of them and moved them on.

Personally, I find all the messing around ("knob-twiddling") needed with effects is a distraction from what I really enjoy - just playing my bass. :)

[quote name='Paul S' post='1064254' date='Dec 20 2010, 07:52 AM']I think I'd quite like a little chorus from time to time - we do 'Waiting For an Alibi' and 'Sweet Emotion' and it seems right for that, but I haven't worked out how to do it to my liking yet.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure 'Alibi' is a Flanger, I picked up a cheap S/H one to check and I can get it pretty close to the original sound. But I've not been asked to play that song in a band situation so it stays in the small collection of unused pedals I've accumulated. Most eventually get sold on. Used to have a Boss GT6B and that got sold, I still have a virtually unused Akai Unibass that I should probably move on. They were all bought with good intentions at the time but band situations/projects change and the pedals often find no new use. I don't currently use any out and out effects as such but I always have a Hartke Bass Attack tone pedal in line as it definitely improves the sound of the rig. If I have a tuner and the receiver from the Samson wireless also in the chain I can have 3 'pedals' at a gig and not a single effect among the lot!

For me effects on bass is like a man choosing the right shoes for the weather..

You generally wear the same shoes day in and out, but when it rains, snows or it too hot for shoes, you might change your footware, but generally the same shoes, usually can fit the bill.

I generally don't use any effects, but I don't mind playing around with sounds if the band really needs it, and I really enjoy it. I bought a few pedals for a heavy rock alternative band and the Mirco synth and the big muff with my sansamp worked a treat as the band loved big soundscapes, I used it sparingly and only for some songs and certain parts. I always say to myself first 'does it REALLY need effects?'.. most of the time, the answer is no.

I think bassist have to be careful they don't turn into guitarists or keyboard players, the low frequencies are very important to the music

Not a thing for me, bass > amp > speaker.

Looking at that 'post your pedalbard' thread makes me want to try a few things, but I doubt i'd use them. My BR600 has effets built in, I've played a couple of times but cant find anything on there I'd actually gig so not gonna bother buying the pedal.

[quote name='algmusic' post='1064539' date='Dec 20 2010, 12:55 PM']I think bassist have to be careful they don't turn into guitarists or keyboard players, the low frequencies are very important to the music[/quote]

In my main band we only have part time rhythm guitar (our singist), and the other band none. So I do regularly cover rhythm guitar and keyboard sounds and lines (not full chords on the bass though, obviously).

[quote name='KevB' post='1064512' date='Dec 20 2010, 12:29 PM']I'm pretty sure 'Alibi' is a Flanger,[/quote]

Ah. That would be why I haven't got the sound I like yet using the chorus, presumably... :) I believe there is one in there, somewhere...

Edited by Paul S

I had a phase of buying pedals, more on a "what does this sound like" basis, than any serious purpose. All of them eventually made their way back to eBay and for a couple of years I was pure. Then I seduced myself into buying a Big Muff, thinking it would sound good on Seven Nation Army. It's been ok in rehearsals, but somehow in a gig I'm always disappointed with it. It may well be going the way of the others in the new year.