Why become a member? ×

Pro-tec or Mono Gig-Bags- Anyone use either of them?

Old Horse Murphy

I'm looking for a decent Gig-bag for my 62 Reissue Jazz bass. The case that came with my Bass is too nice to use to transport the bass to and from gigs so is up for sale here :):

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114938&st=0&p=1058952&#entry1058952"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1058952[/url]

Having looked on Bass Direct's website, I am interested in finding out more about the Pro-tec an Mono gigbags Mark's currently selling and wonder if anyone is using either of them or has any experience with them. Or even better, loves them and is considering selling one!!

Thanks for your help

I have used both.

Each bag is well put together with plenty of storage. Overall though, I'd say the Mono probably edges it a touch, but not much.

However, where it matters, the Pro-Tec offers more protection as it has a rigid frame and panels to front and back.

The Mono has a better neck support if the bass has an angled headstock, but as your Jazz doesn't it's not an issue.

My vote: Pro-Tec

Cheers

Gareth

The ProTec is great..loads of storage space and the rigid frame is good. Not very compact, and about the same as a Hiscox hard case for weight and portability, but the ProTec is also really good for carrying as a backpack . I'd also look (on Thomman?) for the SKB shaped foam case for J basses.

Ive no experience of the mono or protec, but i use an igig which marks doing a bass direct, i love it, loads of storage ( even room for a small amp, itll be snug though) reinforced body like the mono, has tons of padding inside, also has a neck pillow for keeping the neck secure, and a tough flap for covering the body inside, very sturdy indeed, and mines o funky retro tweed which makes me look like a "gentleman funkster" :)

the protection racket cases are super light too... lifted straight from their web site...

Do you think we could get a free one under trades description? :)

Product Reference: 7051-00
Product: Bass Standard
Bar Code Reference PR7051 - GBBS 753283-20183
Description: Bass Guitar Case Std
Weight: 0.0kg
Construction:
Racketex Propadd Propile
Zip & Thread Webbing Zip Pullys
Handles Ergo Handles Buckles
Luggage Tag Size Labels Rocket Foam

I've had both and an iGiG and a Protection Racket. The Protec Contego offers greater protection with less pockets and storage (the rigid panels inspire confidence). However, it's heavier than the Mono. The Mono has the neck brace system and loads of pockets if you need to carry a lot of accessories with the bass. Both are superb bags and offer good protection. The Mono is super light and gets the greatest use as a result - I really have had enough of carrying extra weight. I don't tend to use all the pockets etc. on the bag but the design is good and the extra storage may be useful to some. I don't think you can go far wrong with Protec (make sure it's a Contego), Mono, iGiG or Protection Racket - just shop around as there are good deals to be had.

Another vote for the Protec Contego, in my opinion better than it's rivals and cheaper!
Regarding the neck protection they now also come with a neck pad for more support.

I bought mine from here and received it in 4 days, great service:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_contego_e_bass_case.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_contego_e_bass_case.htm[/url]

I'm in the Mono camp. I've got the double bag, and it's a great bag, don't ever worry about my basses in it, waterproof, great padding and plent of space for everything. I feel comfortable having this in the back of the van with the rest of the gear (making sure no cabs are going to fall on it etc.).

Double mono for me too. Fantastic bit of kit. I love the sort of military spec materials and the way it looks. The attention to detail in the design and the bombproof build quality make it a winner for me.