Why become a member? ×

Uber 60 Jazz build

Owen

After reading that thread I was all set to email the guy and order a virtually identical bass... luckily a quick walk with the dog and a cup of tea and I've managed to suppress (I stress 'suppress' not stop) my immediate GAS. If indeed his attention to detail is the same for every build (not sure how much of the stuff about selecting the blank is rooted in fact/science), then he is a master craftsman ; actually he's patently that anyway, but I'd love to get my hands on one of his basses and see if they step up to the mark. However, a ball-park figure of several thousand is a bit of a leap of faith so I'll wait and see if anyone else who read that thread pulls the trigger. :)

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1065839' date='Dec 21 2010, 05:01 PM']Gil is the master of vintage repro. One of my biggest inspirations and a genuinely nice guy who is always willing to share information.

His basses are worth every single pound even though they are a several thousand![/quote]
It's a really interesting thread, especially his tuning fork trick and his jig for squeezing all the glue out of the fingerboard joint. I pity the poor tech who has to lift the board off one of his guitars :)

'Several thousand' is allot of money for a new Fender clone though. I think it was Bill Nash who said, once you get past the 2-3000 (presumably Dollars) mark with a Fender type instrument you stop paying for craftsmanship and start paying for the name on the headstock. For several thousand pounds or dollars you can be looking at some real 60s vintage mojo.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1067034' date='Dec 22 2010, 06:06 PM']I'd agree to a point, but I'd rather have one of these than pay for that mojo. These seem custom made to spec and the attention to detail is stunning. That said, it's a lot of cash. I'd probably go for a Shuker if I had a grand or so to spare, played Finbars p-bass copy and it's incredible.[/quote]

If it weighs 6.5lb, balances perfectly and still has the lovely resonance of a vintage jazz then it's got to be worth it for someone with back issues. All the best sounding jazzes I've tried have been heavy b*****s

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1067131' date='Dec 22 2010, 07:39 PM']If it weighs 6.5lb, balances perfectly and still has the lovely resonance of a vintage jazz then it's got to be worth it for someone with back issues. All the best sounding jazzes I've tried have been heavy b*****s[/quote]

Believe me, it was a whole heap of restraint to not contact the guy about a commission but I'm not going down the route of a custom order for anything that isn't my one and only bass... and that would be a tall order! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1067137' date='Dec 22 2010, 07:45 PM']Believe me, it was a whole heap of restraint to not contact the guy about a commission but I'm not going down the route of a custom order for anything that isn't my one and only bass... and that would be a tall order! :)[/quote]

I did a custom order for my one and only for ever bass once. Tragically I did not like it and ended up losing a shed load on re-sale. I would have to be minted beyond to go down that route again.

Great link - nice to see someone developing such a detailed knowledge and going to all that trouble, especially with testing and measuring. However...considering that he started out with he intention to develop a 'super growler' I don't think the end result was very impressive with the mutes on. I wish there was a clip without the mutes.