Why become a member? ×

So, ~£400, What shall I go for?

PerfectionBG

Do you go new or used in this situation. I can't afford a brand new Fender Jaguar or Jazz, nor can I afford a brand new Stingray or Sterling.

So, do I go for their its-just-as-good-for-you-guys-who-can't-afford-a-real-one range or do I buy a used 'real' bass?
I think the latter is probably the better idea, but then which bass?

I've narrowed it down to:

Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazz (MIJ/M)
Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$
Anything Musicman that finds itself straying helplessly into the <£400 price bracket.
Thunderbird

What else is worth the cash, and which is best?

(Need something with a very variable tone - as I play pretty much anything that I think sounds awesome)

If you fancy something with a Sting-esque tone... you could do worse than [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STATUS-Groove-BASS-Guitar-4-string-hard-case-/220708584472?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336341bc18"]this[/url] or [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-ATK300-Bass-Guitar-Natural-/150469784003?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2308b2b1c3"]this[/url].

Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass

It's bang on your budget brand new but second hand anything between £50 and £150 under your budget. I've played 2 of them and am placing an order for one, absolutely brilliant bass and plenty of "bang for buck"

Here's a link to DV247's brand new one listed
[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-standard-precision-bass-arctic-white-maple--60008"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-standa...te-maple--60008[/url]

Obviously there's different colour schemes and fret board options too

Enjoy!

[quote name='Rich' post='1056031' date='Dec 12 2010, 02:09 PM']If you fancy something with a Sting-esque tone... you could do worse than [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STATUS-Groove-BASS-Guitar-4-string-hard-case-/220708584472?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336341bc18"]this[/url] or [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-ATK300-Bass-Guitar-Natural-/150469784003?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2308b2b1c3"]this[/url].[/quote]

I've always had the ATK in mind as being a good bass, my problem is I am also very much swayed by looks - and you gotta love the looks of classic Fenders and 'Rays - but as with everything I'll check them both out and they'll most likely grow on me :)

[quote name='PerfectionBG' post='1056027' date='Dec 12 2010, 02:01 PM'](Need something with a very variable tone - as I play pretty much anything that I think sounds awesome)[/quote]

If you're looking new then perhaps consider trying out the Ibanez SR 500 - Bartolini pups and tone control come fitted as standard.
I've had a 5 string one of these for about 5 years now and haven't been tempted away from it yet :)

You usually get more bass for your £ by buying SH, I'd say be very careful about using Ebay for SH bass purchases though.
Although I haven't used it yet, there are some pretty good deals in the For Sale forum here on BassChat and you can be pretty damn sure that the item is genuine.

As always though, you really need to try kit out and decide what works for you and your playing style(s).

[quote name='icastle' post='1056037' date='Dec 12 2010, 02:15 PM']If you're looking new then perhaps consider trying out the Ibanez SR 500 - Bartolini pups and tone control come fitted as standard.
I've had a 5 string one of these for about 5 years now and haven't been tempted away from it yet :)[/quote]

It's a good bass, I had one for a long time - but mine was tonally very different from a 'ray or the Fenders. I found it just too dark for my tastes even after I swapped out the pickups, and I ended up getting jazz basses instead which made me a very happy Larry.

Most important to me would be whether I wanted a jazz, precision or stingray tone, or something a bit different.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1056049' date='Dec 12 2010, 02:32 PM']It's a good bass, I had one for a long time - but mine was tonally very different from a 'ray or the Fenders. I found it just too dark for my tastes even after I swapped out the pickups, and I ended up getting jazz basses instead which made me a very happy Larry.

Most important to me would be whether I wanted a jazz, precision or stingray tone, or something a bit different.[/quote]

Yep - I have a JB as well and I'm almost convinced that a 'ray might be a good idea but am struggling to justify the expenditure after this years rig refresh.

Second hand Fender MIJ jazzes are usually around £400, I've only seen one or two Jags on here, but they were hovering around that mark too.

£400 will also buy you a slightly older german Corvette Standard if you fancy the Warwick side of things, I'd go for one of those over the Rockbasses any day.

There's a Sterling by Musicman Ray 34 in these forums at the moment for around £400 IIRC, they're brilliant and a lot of people say they can't tell the difference between one of those and an American Stingray. If that's gone and you can't find another, there's always the Musicman Sub, which is basically almost a Stingray, but slightly cheaper, they go for around the £400 mark too and are more common 2nd hand.

If you're going to go new, you could do worse than getting a Squier CVJ and upgrading the pickups. If you're handy with a soldering iron, that could be within your budget (assuming you want to upgrade the pups, you might like the stock ones).

Def go for used - for yr budget you`ll get a higher-end instrument for the same amount, plus, should you decide its not for ou, the re-sell value should be the same as what you paid for it.

If looking at Fender Jazz - try the Classic range, they do both a 60s & 70s, which are very good instruments, great sound/quality/playability.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1056103' date='Dec 12 2010, 03:33 PM']If looking at Fender Jazz - try the Classic range, they do both a 60s & 70s, which are very good instruments, great sound/quality/playability.[/quote]

I concur - them or a Highway One, same great pickups but with a graphite-reinforced neck, badass bridge and nitrocellulose finish. If you don't like the badass you can flog it for a ton and put a BBOT on :)

Tricky price range for a change IMO, Any less and we would all be saying Squier as usual but its just a bit under for what your calling "Real" versions of most things mainstream. I quite like 80's MIJ Fender stuff best in this bracket and there is a lot of love if you come to move it on. Most the comments about sub/ray34's come from those who havent played a real one although some have come from real Ray owners its more about finding the right one which isnt always possible.

for that money go used and you open up a world of options....

go for a Fender Jap P or J bass as they are just as good as a US but without the designer tag.....they even make a japanese Fender Mustang bass which should meet that price tag.

or a Warwick standard - made in germany and holds its value.

or a Musicman Sub - they basically brought these out as a cheaper version of the stingray but stopped making them when people realised they were just as good without the bling.....

anyway hope that helps.

If you can find one £300 should see you to a 1979 ibanez roadster. This bass will give fender jazz's and musicmen a run for their money. I've had mine for 7 years and it's never leaving my side, set the action real low and it'll tap like the best of them, simple to use with one vol and one tone pot with surprisingly versatile tonal range. If you can find one you will fall in love instantly. Built like a tank too! And resale value will only go up. Bonus's all round, I'm willing to bet anyone who's played one will agree. Get one it's worth it!

Russ

[quote name='binky_bass' post='1056729' date='Dec 12 2010, 10:36 PM']If you can find one £300 should see you to a 1979 ibanez roadster. This bass will give fender jazz's and musicmen a run for their money. I've had mine for 7 years and it's never leaving my side, set the action real low and it'll tap like the best of them, simple to use with one vol and one tone pot with surprisingly versatile tonal range. If you can find one you will fall in love instantly. Built like a tank too! And resale value will only go up. Bonus's all round, I'm willing to bet anyone who's played one will agree. Get one it's worth it!

Russ[/quote]

+1
P/J config, Jap built quality (mine's got an alembic pre in it), but they are very well made.

I have a Streamer std (been modded q. heavily), but they are extraordinary good value 2nd hand (£200-300) for a German built passive bass.

It is a great time to buy on eBay at the moment as prices seem pretty low (guessing just before Christmas with peoples money going towards other things)

Few examples I was watching

Couple of G&L Tributes didn't sell for £330/£380
Yamaha TRB went for around £300 (£800 new)
Ibanez BTB470 went for £200 (£450 new)

None of these might be your cup of tea but if you look outside of Fender then many bargains to be had. (Fender seem to be unaffected by seasonal buying!)

If you're not averse to going down the vintage route, a Peavey T-40 sounds like it might fit the bill:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88904"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88904[/url]

Re: Ibanez Roadster - it's a range, not a specific bass, gets even more complicated later when they were rebranded (due to a typo) as Roadstar II, but there are probably over 20 different basses under the Roadster/Roadstar name. I have an RS924 Roadster - it's a lovely bass but not particularly versatile due to its inability to blend between the pickups.

My Roadster's not for sale, but I do have a very nice Peavey T-40 that doesn't get the use it deserves, if you're interested.

Jon.